The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
chook

Hi from Downunder

Well, actually born and bred in New Zealand, but have been living in Australia for the past 20 years.
I have just recently purchased a 1971 Cheyenne Super C10 Truck,
SWB Stepside, 402BB, TH400, 4 season A/C, ps, pb, push button radio, tilt column, tinted glass, woodgrain finish, houndstooth cloth upholstery, Hugger Orange,etc etc, a fully loaded truck.
The truck was imported as a stepside some 20 or so years ago by a previous owner. The last owner and his son have been restoring the truck back to pristine condition for the past 10 years. It hasn't been on a road for this time.
I was lucky eneogh to stumble on it by chance.
I have a question for all you learned folk out there.
I don't know if this truck started life as a Stepside or Fleetside and I was hoping someone out there could help me to solve my dilema.
The VIN#CE141S666404 tells me that it is indeed a Stepside bed. However the glovebox label tells me different - Model#CE10934, Fleetside bed? and a host of options that are on the truck. Am I reading this correctly or am I missing something?
Did GM produce Cheyenne Super Stepside beds in 1971?
I can't find much information on it, only what I have read in US magazines.
If it is an original Stepside then I have a fairly rare truck.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thankyou and Regards
Chook
Also I am having difficulty attaching jpg files as they are too big.
How do I reduce the file/photo size to enable me to attach pictures of the truck?
chook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: Hi from Downunder

Welcome to the board, I'm gonna move this to the Message board so you can get an answer quicker.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

I have learned that there is some mis-information floating around regarding decoding the VIN. I always thought, and had read, that the 4 meant cab and stepside box, but have learned that it really means cab and box (of somesort). It takes the glovebox option label and model to verify that it is a stepside for sure.

We need some pictures too!!

And from Up Yonder!

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
BET68

WELCOME FROM WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA

B&E

1971 LONGHORN C-30
1969 LONGHORN C-20
1968 DUALLY
1970 STEP SIDE PROJECT
1972 CST C-20
1980 M-80 MALIBU FOR SALE
1974 NOVA FOR SALE:
BET68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
Canadian694x4
Born To Lose Club

Location: Calgary, Alberta/Oxenden, Ontario, Great White North

Welcome To The Boards!
1972 GMC K2500 Custom LWB Fleetside - Proud Owner For 2 Yrs - 1 of 571 Built & Sold In Canada! - 350 V8/SM465/NP205, 4” Rough Country Lift, 33” Interco TSL Thornbirds
2007.5 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD 4x4 - Proud Owner For 15 Yrs
- 6.6L V8 Duramax Diesel/Allison 1000, 2" Lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ's.
2008 Yamaha Raptor 700r - Proud Owner For 13 Yrs - ITP Mud Lites.
2015 John Deere 1025R - Proud Owner For 6 Yrs - 24HP Diesel/H120/54D/260B/SB1154.
Canadian694x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #6
67pro-street

welcome chook, it sounds like you have got yourself one nice ride, and probably the only one in australia. i just came back from australia after studying abroad for a semester in geelong, vic. its about a 40 minute drice west of melbourne. what city are you from??

67pro-street
67pro-street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Glock got you in the right direction there, the VIN won't tell you what kind of bed it has.
So, assuming that your glove box door is original (VIN on that matches the one in the door jamb, matches the one on the frame) then you have a short fleet.
I no longer have my 72 book, awaiting a replacement, but I just looked up Cheyenne Super for 71, and they did in fact come on step sides too.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
SactoJim

Welcome from up above!

I've often wondered about you guys that have these trucks in other countries and how rare they are. We here in the US don't see ourselves coming down the other side of the road (similar truck) too often and I can only imagine what it's like in another country.

.....and how hard is it to get your hands on a 67-72, or for that matter, any American iron?
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:21 PM   #9
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

From West TN
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #10
68 50th

Welcome from Sweden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoJim
Welcome from up above!

I've often wondered about you guys that have these trucks in other countries and how rare they are. We here in the US don't see ourselves coming down the other side of the road (similar truck) too often and I can only imagine what it's like in another country.

.....and how hard is it to get your hands on a 67-72, or for that matter, any American iron?
In Sweden it is not at all rare to see American iron in the daily traffic, at least during the summer months.
But these 67-72 trucks are rare, we got a lot of full size personal cars from the 50's and newer and for Chevy/GMC trucks the newer generations 73-87 and 88 and up are pretty common.
1992 Silverado Sport Truck
1988 Silverado 2500 Ext Longbed 4x4
2001 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
1990 Chevrolet K3500
1965 Pontiac Grand Prix
1980 Z 28 350/4-speed/AC/T-top
1980 Camaro Coupe V6/3-speed
1979 Buick Century Wagon

Last edited by 68 50th; 07-22-2006 at 04:35 AM.
68 50th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:51 PM   #11
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Welcome to the board. I have sent you a PM. Does my Avatar look familiar???

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:34 PM   #12
chook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoJim
Welcome from up above!

Hey SactoJim,
Thanks for the welcome buddy.
I am a confessed trajic when it comes to early GM trucks and passenger cars.
Down here we look long and hard for early iron. This '71 C10 I just purchased was just a fluke I stumbled on locally. Like I said, it had been imported some 20 years ago or so, and the guys I brought it off had garaged it for 10 years and rebuilt her.
I currently have 1 other early truck - LHD 1950 Chevy 1/2 t pickup I imported myself from California. Its a Ratrod, flat black and pencilled white flames, 305/TH350, Monte Carlo front clip, 10 bolt rear, power/tilt steer, American Racing Torque Thrust 2's etc. It was my daily driver, but now is up for sale.
I also imported at the same time a 1950 Chevy COE cab.This is my project truck. I have built it into a crewcab dually, suicide rear doors, 2 step running boards, fabricated stepside bed, sitting on a 1976 C30 chassis, 500" Cadillac power, TH400, 9'' converted dually rear,
59 chevy passenger car dash graft, Dakota Digital gauges, power tilt steer,
A/C, power windows etc etc. I hope to have it running later this year so I can get it to the panel beater for final panel work and painting.
Other cars I own in the stable are; 1960 Cadillac Coupe de Ville, airbagged, flamed and wide whites.
1953 Cadillac Coupe de Ville under construction - body off resto.
Vehicles owned in the past - 1953 Chevy 1/2 t pickup, 454BB 671 Huffer, prostreet tubbed, 9"- 4 link coil over rear. 41/2 years build time.
2000 C1500 LT spec Silverado 4 door extended cab, 5.3 Vortec.
1957 Cadillac Coupe, 1953 Buick Special Coupe. 2 x 55 Chevy 4 door Sedans, 1955 Chevy 1/2 t truck.
Most of the above cars I have searched for on the web and imported myself.
The Cadillacs came out of Hamilton,Montana. I was over in your fair land back in April 2001 to look over the cars and arrange shipping. I also took in the Paso Robles run and some NHRA drag racing while there.
So as you can see I am very serious about my GM's. I actually think my old man immigrated to the wrong country when I was still a twinkle in his eye. He immigrated to New Zealand from The Netherlands back in '59.I was born in '60.
I have lived in Aus for 20 years now.
Its a trajic story I know. I am the president of the Tumut Rod and Custom Club here in town and yes there is a lot of early Yankee iron in the country, and plenty more coming in each day.
We love our US cars and trucks out here, probably more than you guys and gals over there. We spend lots to get the right ride imported and built, but its what we love to do.
I hope you enjoyed the journey.
I will post some pics of all my cars just as soon as I figure out how to down size my jpg files. Can anybody help me on this?
Regards
Chook
Old 07-21-2006, 09:50 PM   #13
chook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
Glock got you in the right direction there, the VIN won't tell you what kind of bed it has.
So, assuming that your glove box door is original (VIN on that matches the one in the door jamb, matches the one on the frame) then you have a short fleet.
I no longer have my 72 book, awaiting a replacement, but I just looked up Cheyenne Super for 71, and they did in fact come on step sides too.
Gidday mate,
Yeh the VIN on the door jamb matches the glovebox door, but I haven't checked the frame. Where is the frame number located, and should it read the same as the VIN#?
The engine # checks out for 402BB for that year.(TKB)
Do you have production numbers for this truck?
Any info would be appreciated
Thanks and Regards
Chook
Old 07-21-2006, 10:16 PM   #14
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chook
Gidday mate,
Yeh the VIN on the door jamb matches the glovebox door, but I haven't checked the frame. Where is the frame number located, and should it read the same as the VIN#?
The engine # checks out for 402BB for that year.(TKB)
Do you have production numbers for this truck?
Any info would be appreciated
Thanks and Regards
Chook

I believe it on the top of the driver's side frame rail, between the front and rear cab mounts. May be hard to see if the cab in on the frame.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:18 PM   #15
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

For starter, do you have microsoft office picture manager?

If you do open the picture using these program.

If the picture does not automatically open in this program, put the cusor (arrow) over the picture and push the right mouse button.

Highlight the "open with" option, which should give you a few options. One of which should be Microsoft Officer Picture Manager" highlight it and push the left mouse button. The picture should open in picture manger.

Once the picture opens again put cusor (arrow) over picture and push right mouse button. Look for option "Edit pictures" push left mouse button. A window should open on the right side of picture with different edit options.

Left click on the "resize" option. Then left click on "predefined width x height". A drop down box will open. highlight and left click on
"web-small (448 x336)" then left click on "OK" button at the bottom.

That should resize your picture, but if you want to keep your original picture, save the resized one under a different file name.

Once all your pictures are resized you can go to the truck site and attach them to your post.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:40 PM   #16
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Welcome to the board! I can't wait for your pics to get resized and posted. Post all you want of all vehicles, we generally like to see all kinds of vehicles.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:06 AM   #17
krue
Designated A-hole!

Check the FAQ Submissions board. In the Index thread are links to several threads on posting pics. Personally I downloaded Irfanview (free) and use it.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 07:08 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Welcome to the new hangout.You guys in foreign lands that share the passion for vintage US iron are top-shelf in my book.People around me think I`m nuts for roaming,rooting,and digging up trucks & parts from all around the states.I admire the effort you put out to fulfill your passion.Now,about that trade on a`52 Chevy Ute...
It`s hard to know what`s original on these ol`pups.Match all the numbers and at least you know all those pieces started life as the same truck and the model# gives the configuration.If your #s match,it`s been changed to a Stepside.It could very well be an original Stepside that someone used a nicer CheyenneSuper cab on.But,in this case I doubt it since the numbers show it was a shortbed already.I`ve taken well optioned longbed 3/4t trucks w/big blocks,like low-mile camper haulers,and put it all on a short frame from a bare-bones Stepside to have an instant(well kind of)loaded shortbed.I built one into a pro-street truck using the long frame.I cut the frame and did a "back 1/2" job for the narrowed rear & 4-link.All I needed was a short bed and it was done.I love loaded Stepsides,though.You hardly ever saw those.
What I`ve done for pictures(and I`m a computer idiot),is open an account(free)with www.photobucket.com .All I know is it works here.I read about it in the FAQs section.I`d link ya,but as I mentioned...computer idiot.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:48 AM   #19
chook

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K
Welcome to the new hangout.You guys in foreign lands that share the passion for vintage US iron are top-shelf in my book.People around me think I`m nuts for roaming,rooting,and digging up trucks & parts from all around the states.I admire the effort you put out to fulfill your passion.Now,about that trade on a`52 Chevy Ute...
It`s hard to know what`s original on these ol`pups.Match all the numbers and at least you know all those pieces started life as the same truck and the model# gives the configuration.If your #s match,it`s been changed to a Stepside.It could very well be an original Stepside that someone used a nicer CheyenneSuper cab on.But,in this case I doubt it since the numbers show it was a shortbed already.I`ve taken well optioned longbed 3/4t trucks w/big blocks,like low-mile camper haulers,and put it all on a short frame from a bare-bones Stepside to have an instant(well kind of)loaded shortbed.I built one into a pro-street truck using the long frame.I cut the frame and did a "back 1/2" job for the narrowed rear & 4-link.All I needed was a short bed and it was done.I love loaded Stepsides,though.You hardly ever saw those.
What I`ve done for pictures(and I`m a computer idiot),is open an account(free)with www.photobucket.com .All I know is it works here.I read about it in the FAQs section.I`d link ya,but as I mentioned...computer idiot.
Thanks for the info, as yet I still have to check the frame#. And I'm with you, we are sick puppies when it comes to early iron.
Strange you should mention the '52 Aussie bodied Chevy Ute. There was one about 20 kms from where I live that was purchased by a visiting US hotrodder. I only came to find out about it after the sale. But if you have a copy of the Classic Trucks May 2006 magazine and turn to page 52 you can see a picture of it at the Mooneyes 05 Xmas party in Southern Whittier,Calif.
As it turns out a clubmate told me about the Ute and how it was going to the US. I wasn't impressed!!! But if you are looking for one, I will try and locate one for you if you like.
Anyway thanks for the tip on my truck and the resizing of the photo's.
Stay tuned for some pics of my rides to follow soon, I hope!!!
Regards
Harry
Old 07-22-2006, 11:44 AM   #20
chook

Ok folks, you can view the pics of my 71 Cheyenne Super truck and my other rides at;
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n140/chookeng/
Enjoy and tell me what ya think'in.
Harry
Old 07-22-2006, 12:32 PM   #21
TugOwar

Great pics! Some cool lookin rides there.

Welcome from South TX.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote