The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2020, 09:55 PM   #1
CAJ1971

Should I go Holley?

I’m having issues with my engine bogging down. It runs ok, but It seems like there is just something holding it back and it’s like the other 2 barrels are not opening up. Here is what i have. 71 short step, 350, 20 over, flat tops, vortec heads, headman long tube headers, Lunati cam with .465 lift and .224/.224 @.050, 700r4 stage II , 373 gears. And the carb is Edlebrock 650 AVS 2. I have made adjustments to the back plate of the carb but nothing seems to help. Would you guys think a Holley double pumper would be a good answer?
Posted via Mobile Device
CAJ1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:00 PM   #2
CAJ1971

Should I go Holley?

I’m having issues with my engine bogging down. It runs ok, but It seems like there is just something holding it back and it’s like the other 2 barrels are not opening up. Here is what i have. 71 short step, 350, 20 over, flat tops, vortec heads, headman long tube headers, Lunati cam with .465 lift and .224/.224 @.050, 700r4 stage II , 373 gears. And the carb is Edlebrock 650 AVS 2. I have made adjustments to the back plate of the carb but nothing seems to help. Would you guys think a Holley double pumper would be a good answer?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2020, 10:06 PM   #3
Mike C

Re: Should I go Holley?

You should buy a book on the Edelbrock carb IMO and learn how it really works and put a kit in yours, including a new accelerator pump, and sort that out.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:34 PM   #4
CAJ1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
You should buy a book on the Edelbrock carb IMO and learn how it really works and put a kit in yours, including a new accelerator pump, and sort that out.
Well I would but everything is new already and doesn’t need a kit. The truck has about 5000 miles on restoration.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2020, 10:39 PM   #5
fdbdw

The AVS2 is a great carb , Edelbrocks are easy to dial in once you understand them. First thing to do is set your floats and make sure you are running the right fuel pressure. The floats are rarely set correctly out of the box. Tuning is useless if those two things are not right to begin with.
fdbdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:02 PM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

Trading one new carburetor for another one is not likely to solve the problems you mentioned. There are at least a half a dozen things that could be causing your been poor performance. Many of them won't cost anywhere near as much as a new carburetor. And you may have more than one thing out of adjustment.

What kind of ignition do you have?
What is your timing set at? initial? Total? How much mechanical advance does your distributor have? At what rpm is the mechanical advance all in? How much vacuum advance are you getting?
How was the cam installed straight up? Advanced?
Was your timing tab zeroed to top dead center when the engine was assembled?
Are your spark plug wires installed correctly?
How were the valves adjusted?
Any of these things could be wrong and limit performance and changing carburetors doesn't cause them to magically get corrected.

Have you looked down the carburetor bore while someone floors the gas (engine off) to verify that the secondaries are actually fully open?
Before changing carburetors you should hook up an Air/Fuel ratio meter to find out exactly what is happening.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:02 PM   #7
OregonNed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbdw View Post
The AVS2 is a great carb , Edelbrocks are easy to dial in once you understand them. First thing to do is set your floats and make sure you are running the right fuel pressure. The floats are rarely set correctly out of the box. Tuning is useless if those two things are not right to begin with.
Agree there. That solved my issues and was really pretty easy to do.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:29 PM   #8
CAJ1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Trading one new carburetor for another one is not likely to solve the problems you mentioned. There are at least a half a dozen things that could be causing your been poor performance. Many of them won't cost anywhere near as much as a new carburetor. And you may have more than one thing out of adjustment.

What kind of ignition do you have?
What is your timing set at? initial? Total? How much mechanical advance does your distributor have? At what rpm is the mechanical advance all in? How much vacuum advance are you getting?
How was the cam installed straight up? Advanced?
Was your timing tab zeroed to top dead center when the engine was assembled?
Are your spark plug wires installed correctly?
How were the valves adjusted?
Any of these things could be wrong and limit performance and changing carburetors doesn't cause them to magically get corrected.

Have you looked down the carburetor bore while someone floors the gas (engine off) to verify that the secondaries are actually fully open?
Before changing carburetors you should hook up an Air/Fuel ratio meter to find out exactly what is happening.
Everything you have mentioned has been checked and is all where it needs to be. Yes I have looked down the bore of the carb with full throttle but they do not open like that. It is my understanding that the AVS secondaries open up with vacuum, not mechanical. That is why I was thinking of going to Holley double pumper mechanical. That way I know they are going to open. I have heard of other guys having the same issues and they went to the Holley set up.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:32 PM   #9
firedemon

while I am a huge fan of holley carbs im afraid it wont do you much good unless you can tune it properly . tuning is much more than carb like H0455 says . I would get a book for your carb and a book for power tuning . I find the more I learn about tuning and carbs the more I realize I need to learn
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:39 PM   #10
firedemon

your cam dosent seem so radical that you would have low vacume . what kind of vacume are you getting at the base of the carb . could have a plugged port somewhere inside the carb if your getting good numbers and the secondary's aren't opening
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:29 AM   #11
Jcfcamaro

That would be to much carburetor. Probably need a 600 with vacuum secondary maybe a 750.
Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:07 AM   #12
jimijam00

I would tune it until it's dead nuts on as reflected by eight clean plugs.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:50 AM   #13
tim_mc

I installed an Edelbrock AVS2 1905 650cfm this month...love it...but not at first. I had bogging problems and had to lean mine two steps on power, and one on cruise...and move my vacuum advance from manifold to ported to eliminate a stumble when accelerating from cruise. I also had to tweak the float adjustment. You *must* use a fuel regulator to knock down the pressure to 4-5psi on Edelbrock carbs.

After a week or two of messing with it, I bought the Edelbrock 1948 kit with extra jets and rods - a necessity unless you're lucky with it out of the box or know exactly which rods and jets to get. Rods are about $15 a set, and the kit (~$62) comes with seven sets, including two rod profiles that are new (made for the AVS?), which was a clue to me that I might wind up using either the 1955 or 1956 rods. Edelbrocks are easy to tune and rod changes are done in a minute. The carb adjustment chart is helpful. Mine is currently set up with #16 on the attached calibration chart: .098 main jets and 1955 rods (.067 x .037) and .098 secondary jets, orange/5"Hg step-up springs. If you get the kit, I found it helpful to color the rods with different color sharpies so I didn't need to keep using a magnifying glass to read the stamped numbers.

My manual choke is wired open - no cable...don't need it. I have not messed with the secondary valve adjustment. Starts easily and has awesome throttle response. I think it's still a bit on the rich side, but runs well for now while I'm breaking in the new 350. Brodix IK180 heads, EPS intake, Comp Cams 12-408-8 retro roller (mild) cam, headers. 700R4, 3.08 gears.

I'm pulling around 16"Hg of vacuum on the manifold. 12 degrees BTDC at the crank, and a new AC Delco HEI for 22 degrees of advance for 34 total, plus another 14 from the vacuum advance, so 48 when cruising - give or take since I've advanced my distributor a bit.

I'd suggest temporarily removing the vac advance and capping the source for now.
Make sure your initial and mechanical advance is where it should be. Get the tuning kit and make some changes based on how rich or lean you think it is, and note your changes as you go. I recommend switching the rods with the stock .101 mains, and work your way down since changing the mains require removing the air horn/top. Sorry for throwing a lot of info at you, but hope it helps as issues with a new carb are not fun.
https://edelbrock-instructions-v1.s3...ning-guide.pdf
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2020, 10:23 AM   #14
fdbdw

X2 on the A/F ratio gauge, I installed one when I did my exhaust. Takes the guess work out of tuning. I also installed an edelbrock fuel pump, gives the right psi and no need to mess with a fuel pressure regulator.
fdbdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:29 PM   #15
weim55

X10 on staying with the Edelbrock. Holly double pumper would be going backwards for your application as you stated it.

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:23 PM   #16
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAJ1971 View Post
Everything you have mentioned has been checked and is all where it needs to be. Yes I have looked down the bore of the carb with full throttle but they do not open like that. It is my understanding that the AVS secondaries open up with vacuum, not mechanical. That is why I was thinking of going to Holley double pumper mechanical. That way I know they are going to open. I have heard of other guys having the same issues and they went to the Holley set up.
The Edlebrock 650 AVS 2 has a vacuum controlled secondary air valve/flapper that operates the secondary metering rods. The secondary bore butterfly valves are mechanically operated by a linkage from the primary bore butterfly valve shaft. It is entirely possible for the throttle linkage to not have enough travel to fully open the secondary bore butterfly valves. This in effect would turn your 650 cfm carburetor into a 500 cfm carburetor. (500 cfm randomly picked as an example.)
So to check for full opening you would have to push the flapper open to see past it to the butterfly valves below it.

https://youtu.be/fL-zDjpvrEg
Old 05-31-2020, 01:39 PM   #17
tinman_local2

What's your timing set at? Ignition timing will really make a difference. Are you sure you don't have any vacuum leaks?
tinman_local2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:58 PM   #18
HO455
Post Whore

For some reason the OP has 2 threads going on this. See link.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=807106
Old 05-31-2020, 03:12 PM   #19
RichardJ

OP
>> It is my understanding that the AVS secondaries open up with vacuum, not mechanical.<<

Open your eyeballs. Mechanical secondary linkage is on passenger side of carb. The only thing that will stop the secondary throttle valves from opening is the choke high speed idle linkage if it is not set up properly. If the high speed idle linkage is not OFF, the big spring on the passenger side of the primary throttle shaft will wind up and the linkage will not move to open the secondarys.

HO
>>The Edlebrock 650 AVS 2 has a vacuum controlled secondary air valve/flapper that operates the secondary metering rods.<<

Carter and Edelbrock clones do not have "secondary metering rods". Primary only.
The original Carter AVS carbs had three step metering rods and still, primary only.

>>https://youtu.be/fL-zDjpvrEg<< This video is worthless.

AVS stands for Air Valve Secondary, not Adjustable Valve secondary.
This valve opens with air flow and is adjustable. It does not open with vacuum.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:54 PM   #20
HO455
Post Whore

My bad I forgot that Edelbrocks relied on fuel emulsification to manage the secondary air fuel ratios. I've never been a fan of Edelbrocks so I usually replaced them instead of work on them.
The video was to give the OP some background on his carburetor so maybe he would be less inclined to replace a modern carburetor with a 1960's design.

Open your eyeballs. Mechanical secondary linkage is on passenger side of carb. The only thing that will stop the secondary throttle valves from opening is the choke high speed idle linkage if it is not set up properly. If the high speed idle linkage is not OFF, the big spring on the passenger side of the primary throttle shaft will wind up and the linkage will not move to open the secondarys.

So you are saying that an improperly installed throttle cable bracket, or a throttle cable attached to the wrong place on the throttle shaft, or too short of a throttle rod, (67-68) or too much insulation on the firewall, or a damaged kickdown cable won't prevent the secondarys from opening completely?
Old 05-31-2020, 08:10 PM   #21
RichardJ

>>So you are saying that an improperly installed throttle cable bracket, or a throttle cable attached to the wrong place on the throttle shaft, or too short of a throttle rod, (67-68) or too much insulation on the firewall, or a damaged kickdown cable won't prevent the secondarys from opening completely? <<

You forgot to mention if his feet were too short and couldn't reach the peddles.

My info about the linkage had to do with him not understanding why the throttle wasn't opening as he thought it should. If he understood that it didn't have vacuum secondary's and understood that they should be opening. Perhaps then he would have investigated if the insulation was too thick or his legs too short.

His choice to switch to a Holley shouldn't be based on what he didn't know about the Edelbrock any more than it shouldn't be based on what YOU don't know about the Edelbrock.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:18 PM   #22
Killer Bee

^ appropriate user name
Old 05-31-2020, 08:48 PM   #23
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
If things look a little strange it's because I merged his two threads.

CAJ1971: do not start two threads about the same problem. It is against board rules....

LockDoc,

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:32 PM   #24
HO455
Post Whore

CAJ1971 I sincerely hope you solve the problem with your truck.
It has become obvious that I don't have the knowledge to help you.
You are new here but I am certain that someone will be able help you and in turn you become a long term participant on the forum.

HO455
Old 05-31-2020, 10:56 PM   #25
CUDA8U

Throw the eddy in garbage, get a holley, quick fuel or a proform

I had an eddy on my 500hp 440 and it seemed like it was held back a bit, i put an 850 holley on, followed tuning instructions from a friend. Rejetting etc. I took it for the first drive and blew my cell phone off the dash into the back seat. Unreal difference! The creator of www.cudachallenger uses proform carbs and loves them. He is very knowledgeable about engine building.
CUDA8U is offline   Reply With Quote