The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2002, 04:35 AM   #1
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

Parts for a 700R4 swap?

Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything when I go on a parts run tomorrow. I'm swapping a 700R4 into my truck.

I'm going to need:
*TV cable, and a bracket for a Quadrajet (are there any in particular that wouldn't need much/any fabbing?)
*Flexplate to torque converter bolts (metric, right?)
*Dipstick
*Tranny fluid (synthetic, of course, heh) (gotta call the place and find out if theirs come filled or not...)

Hmm...is that it? My truck was converted from a 3-on-the-tree to a THM400, so the crossmember is already bolted in rather than riveted, and I've heard it should line up perfectly if I flip it backwards...I'll need to get the driveshaft shortened, but that's not really something I can do on a parts run using the truck, lol...

One of my friends is getting the wiring for his torque converter lockup from the place that wired his in drawn up...anyone have any diagrams for this for comparison, and so I know what I'll probably have to get?

Ooooh, gotta get a tranny cooler too...anything else I'm forgetting? I want to have it done this time next week. Aggressive, maybe.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:48 AM   #2
Church
Carolina Classic Trucks

When I did my swap, I had to move the crossmember. I went from a t350 to the 700r4. Also highly agree on the synthetic fluid in your transmission. I have Amsoil full synthetic ATF, if you need any.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:40 PM   #3
Bamm
Cowboy Fan for Life!!!!!!

TPI sells a nice lock up switch and it's really inexpensive for what it is. i think it's about $75.00, but thats little $ compared to some switches. You also don't have to manually switch it in and out of lockup. I've had it on mine for about three years and it has never once given me a problem. I also had to move my crossmember back to fit the 700R4. Get some good hardened titanium drill/brill bits when you brill the holes. Other than that you are straight. I would run the synthetics in your tranny also and get a plenty big cooler, this is the one thing that you don't want to skimp on.................Good Luck........JB
18 x 8 Torque Thrust II's
Future mods: All new gauges & wood bed
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote