The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2023, 09:13 PM   #26
1967GMCC20

Re: My 572 doesn’t fit!

Don't forget....BBCs used short water pumps as well.

My stock 402 was tight in a 67 conversion. Only a few hammer dents, but kept heater, throttle location.
1967GMCC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:40 PM   #27
Extended Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967GMCC20 View Post
Don't forget....BBCs used short water pumps as well.

My stock 402 was tight in a 67 conversion. Only a few hammer dents, but kept heater, throttle location.
Mine came stock with the 402...tons of clearance for the heater housing, and throttle. Couldn’t fit tall valve covers on it though either...the drivers side would hit the brake booster.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:52 PM   #28
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

As a side ask- does a short water pump serve to cool a 454?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 11:02 PM   #29
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I get the need to move things forward for clearance w/the bigger BBC, but I would want to keep an eye on how far the lead cylinders are moved past the spindle centerline @ the same time. Sure seems like it could open up the can-O-worms on other things (x-member clearance, impact on steering feel, etc).
That's right, the oil pan is going to govern how far forward you can go with that motor, mine certainly did. As far as cylinders past spindle centerlines go, front stabilizers and HDBB springs make the heavy BB's behave in the corners. I get the forward weight issue but I think it's nil when your dropping 700 pounds in a 500 pound hole. The beefed up front goes without saying. The OP indicated that header fitment will be a deal breaker? Headers for that set up just about have to be built on the truck, especially if you want to keep everything tucked up above the frame rails. Big Blocks, especially built big blocks, require replacing, rethinking, refabricating, everything from "nose to toes"...That 572 will eat transmissions, cork screw drive shafts, bend frames and slip perfectly good Positracks! Ask me how I know! Welcome to the realm of money!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 01:15 AM   #30
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
That's right, the oil pan is going to govern how far forward you can go with that motor, mine certainly did. As far as cylinders past spindle centerlines go, front stabilizers and HDBB springs make the heavy BB's behave in the corners. I get the forward weight issue but I think it's nil when your dropping 700 pounds in a 500 pound hole. The beefed up front goes without saying. The OP indicated that header fitment will be a deal breaker? Headers for that set up just about have to be built on the truck, especially if you want to keep everything tucked up above the frame rails. Big Blocks, especially built big blocks, require replacing, rethinking, refabricating, everything from "nose to toes"...That 572 will eat transmissions, cork screw drive shafts, bend frames and slip perfectly good Positracks! Ask me how I know! Welcome to the realm of money!
Headers fell within the realm of things I was suggesting to keep in mind. My assumption was that all changes w/moving the motor had the headers on for validating they still fit w/o issue (since they were spec built vs off the shelf).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:58 AM   #31
Extended Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
There is just over an inch of clearance in front of the oil pan.
Custom Lemons Headers cost me over $2500 Canadian. I'd rather sell them, and the engine instead of hacking everything up.
I mentioned that Dan asked every question possible, before he built my headers.
I have a Detroit Tru-Trac behind my 800rwhp diesel...I'm pretty sure it will handle 700+ crank hp from this engine which makes way less torque.
Old 05-06-2023, 12:50 PM   #32
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extended Power View Post
If only I would have left it a stock 572....but nooooooo....I gotta jack around, and try to make more power....
Yeah, like a stock 572 doesn't make enough!!!

Man, and I thought raised exhaust ports and valve cover rails on aftermarket SBC heads were a problem

I just noticed this on GMPP's 572 Installation Notes:
You do have a strong transmission and rear axle, don’t you?
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 04:57 PM   #33
Extended Power

Oil pan has more than two inches before hitting the crossmember.
Headers fit pretty much perfect.
I do have to trim off the passenger side lower engine mount. There is an ear that sticks out, and hits the front tube of the exhaust.

I installed the headers, marked the ear to trim it, pulled the engine out, marked the frame rails and crossmember for new holes, drilled the holes, trimed the engine mount, and installed the engine again this morning.
Family stuff this afternoon, so maybe work on it again tomorrow.
Slowly but surely...

Pictures show the trim I needed to do, and a picture of how much clearance there is for the oil filter.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2023, 09:34 PM   #34
MikeB

Coming along fine then. That's great!
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 11:54 PM   #35
geezer#99

If you feel the need to move your master cylinder outboard for more clearance, it can be done too.
You can find m/c with the outlets on the opposite side. Some mopars were like that.
Just a thought.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 07:03 AM   #36
72 tigger

Glad you’re making progress!
Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 08:08 AM   #37
1967GMCC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Cooled high compression 386, 427s for years. My 402 BBC 310hp runs right at T stat, amazing how nice it operates with big radiator. Secondly, it warms up slow, I chalk the moderate Temps partly to cast iron exhaust manifolds, keeping under hood heat down.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:53 AM   #38
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967GMCC20 View Post
Cooled high compression 386, 427s for years. My 402 BBC 310hp runs right at T stat, amazing how nice it operates with big radiator. Secondly, it warms up slow, I chalk the moderate Temps partly to cast iron exhaust manifolds, keeping under hood heat down.
Good to know- reason being I may go to a 454 from Blueprint Engineering, and the fan clutch is about 3/8" from the radiator. A long water pump would also require all new brackets and such.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 05-08-2023, 08:23 AM   #39
TTurbo565

You have a couple of choices on how to get the valve covers lower. First choice and easiest, but not the least expensive, is to go to a shaft rocker setup. Shaft rockers get rid of the stud girdle and stabilize the valve train. The second choice is to get stainless rockers (they allow a lower stud girdle) and find a lower mounting stud girdle. Since you have AFR heads I am not sure about the availability of the lower stud girdle. My engine below has that setup for the same reason as you.

Name:  IMG_3168 small.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  68.2 KB
TTurbo565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 10:32 AM   #40
Extended Power

Small update, as I don’t have a lot of time off anymore.
I was waiting for a 0.062” shim to come in, so I could shim the starter properly, as when it was disengaged, the flex plate would just nip at the edge of the starter gear.
I also shimmed the converter after waiting for the proper ARP 7/16” bolts to come in as well.
The flex plate hole were 7/16”, but the converter holes were only 3/8”.....I went with the bigger bolts.
Finally got all the engine mount bolts into the frame. I was procrastinating on putting the lower ones in, as crawling on the floor is not fun anymore. (I’d love to have a vehicle hoist)

Today, I’m going to install the starter, check the clearance on it again to make sure it’s perfect, and then install the headers.

My friend is looking into a set of 3” Flo Pro mufflers for me, so I can start to run the exhaust. (I may just haul the truck to his shop, as I can make sh!t stick together, but it’s not beautiful.)
I’d really like to have high quality finish, so it’s probably best he does it. (He works in a exhaust shop)
V-bands will be used, and if possible, I’d like to get the entire system ceramic coated to match the headers.
Old 05-20-2023, 12:54 PM   #41
steves1967

Ditch the girdles and rocker arms and go with a set of jesel shaft rockers. Your valve covers will fit without the spacers.
'19 Chevy CC 4x4 Duramax Dually
steves1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 06:27 PM   #42
1967GMCC20

Keep at it, going to be awesome.
Old 05-22-2023, 12:11 AM   #43
Extended Power

Did a bit more this morning.
Laid on the floor, and picked an peeled off all the painters tape I used to protect the headers from scratches on install.
Then I started trying to make the old shroud I made for the electric fans work on the front of the rad support...but it's a fail. I gotta make a new one in order for it to look good. (No sense rushing now)

Here's some pictures of the fans and shroud I made, when the fans were "pullers".
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2023, 07:57 AM   #44
biketopia

Slow and steady, but looks like you're making progress so that's what matters!!

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:07 AM   #45
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Yes - I have a short water pump on my 572.

But - it has spacers, which have been integrated into the casting, in order to make the accessory drive work.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:36 AM   #46
Extended Power

Well, this morning, I gotta pull the front inner fenders out, and take them over to my friend’s house, so he can take them to work tomorrow. (Works at a paint shop)
Also taking the hood latch, and the little aluminum window trim pieces that come with the Brothers Truck, one piece window kit. (Winter project)
Get everything color matched to the truck.
Old 05-22-2023, 09:40 AM   #47
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Yes - I have a short water pump on my 572.

But - it has spacers, which have been integrated into the casting, in order to make the accessory drive work.

K
Thanks!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 05-23-2023, 09:58 PM   #48
Extended Power

Started making a heater box delete panel out of Lexan.
Spray painted with a "color matched" spray bomb. (The panel is temporary, as I want the entire firewall smooth.)
Didn't have enough material to make the blower motor cover, but I ordered more to make the hole cover, and the new fan shroud.
Picture of what the panel looks like now.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2023, 10:27 AM   #49
Extended Power

Well....another step backwards.I gotta stay off Marketplace. Lol
A guy was getting out of his C10 project, and was selling his Vintage Air for non-AC trucks...all still in the box.
I couldn’t say no. (It’s actually the one thing the wife wanted to get for the truck)

Anyways...started installing the condenser and drier in front of the radiator...had to remove the transmission cooler...and now, I don’t have enough room for my 16” fans in front of the rad.
What the heck are people using for pusher fans, that move a boat load of air, and fit in tight spaces?
Old 06-24-2023, 10:42 AM   #50
kwmech

When this is all figured out are you going after Farm Truck?
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote