The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2014, 12:47 AM   #1
1ndatrunk

headers on stock pipes?

I've been contemplating pulling the smog/air pump from my 88 TBI suburban just to clean it up under the hood and to also add a second alternator in that location at a later date. The stock manifold has ports for the system, and rather than trying to plug them and invite leaks, I'd rather just run headers.

If they exist, can anyone link me to some budget headers that can just be swapped in without any mods? I'll get true duals at a later date as cash allows, but for now I want them to bolt to the stock exhaust system.
Thanks guys
1ndatrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: headers on stock pipes?

You can probably get bolt-in shorties from Gibson or Flowmaster, maybe a few others. Check with Summit or Jegs. Gibson is probably the best bet, they make a lot of bolt-in truck exhaust pieces including headers.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
leftybass209

I am by no means knocking your idea of cleaning up the engine bay, but with all of the complaints about budget headers, you'd probably wind up spending a lot more time under the hood retightening the bolts on them or replacing due to cracking if the exhaust system isn't mounted correctly. Exhaust manifolds from an older truck would offer you trouble free operation and rid you of the smog pump. Also, what is your reason for two alternators, rather than one higher rated alternator?
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
1ndatrunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
I am by no means knocking your idea of cleaning up the engine bay, but with all of the complaints about budget headers, you'd probably wind up spending a lot more time under the hood retightening the bolts on them or replacing due to cracking if the exhaust system isn't mounted correctly. Exhaust manifolds from an older truck would offer you trouble free operation and rid you of the smog pump. Also, what is your reason for two alternators, rather than one higher rated alternator?
The alternators will be for the stereo (over 7k watts total). The stock alt will run the truck normally, while the second mechman 270a alt will supply power to the batteries mounted in the rear. I'm a stereo guy originally, so that's my area.

Will stock manifolds from an older truck degrade any performance over the stock ones I currently have? How much, if any increase would I have by going with cheaper headers vs pre smog manifolds?
1ndatrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:19 AM   #5
leftybass209

Well i'll try and cover your questions separately and let you fill in the details as they pertain to your application. I failed to read that you wanted them to bolt up to the stock exhaust location. The 73 style manifolds can be had without the hole. You could also do the older style manifolds but you'd have to have the exhaust modified. As far as losing any horsepower with different cast iron manifolds, I highly doubt it. Actually, there would be power to be found if you did a mild porting job, or swapped to 2.5'' manifolds, but again, mounting issues. As far as the headers go, there really isn't any USABLE horsepower or torque to be gained. Good luck!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

stock 88 manifolds have an 02 sensor
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:32 AM   #7
Irish1941

JBA stainless headers hands down. http://www.jbaheaders.com/index.asp
Not cheap but they work and last. And bolt up to stock y-pipe. I mean bolt on. No tweaks, no cutting down this to fit that…
Last set of JBAs I bought, I ran for 8 years! Try that with a cheap set.
Keep your eyes peeled for a used set.
Mine didn't warp after 8 yrs and after a quick sand & polish they looked pretty much new again.
With an '88, you should be TBI and you'll need O2 for the EFI to function proper.
Irish1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #8
jeffro308

I plugged my air pump manifold ports with Engine Oil Drain Plugs -- 7/8 In. x 18 Thread (66 Jeep) and some red locktite. The gasket won't work but the red locktite kept them in.
jeffro308 is offline   Reply With Quote