The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2021, 07:06 PM   #1
jabborabbo

‘67 front inner bearing seal...

Does it end up flush with the hub or about 1/10 inch high? I’ve searched the threads and get conflicting answers. I thought it was flush, but ending up boogering the seal trying to get it flush. I’ve measured the seal and inner race height and both are the same as the old ones.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2021, 10:06 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: ‘67 front inner bearing seal...

It is possible that your replacement seal is slightly over sized and/or the bore it fits in is slightly under sized. Thus when the outer part of the seal (which is harder to compress) gets into the bore it won't go any further in. That old engineering bugaboo "Tolerance Stacking"
If it isn't rubbing anything and the lip is on a nice smooth part of the spindle you should be okay to run it protruding.
If you need to get it in further try starting over, but put the seal in the freezer for 30 minutes before starting and preheat the hub to around 175 to 200 degrees. Then try installing the seal. You have to be quick. The temperature difference will give you a couple thousandths more clearance.
Good luck.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:14 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I've installed literally hundreds of wheel bearing seals (and bent many). Some stick out, some don't. You have to look at them carefully. It does take some practice to tell when they've bottomed out.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:06 PM   #4
jabborabbo

I miked the distance from the bearing race to the top of the hub - 0.33 in. Seal thickness - 0.5 in. I also had previously tapped the race out a bit, sprayed some brake cleaner between the race and the stops in the hub, blew it out with compressed air, then tapped the race back against the stops before I took the measurements.