The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2002, 10:42 AM   #1
Zumo
Hot Rods For Life

{{{{{Power steering system explanation?}}}}}

Can someone explain the power steering setup to me on our trucks? Are they all the same? I got under my truck to look for a leak and it's coming out of one of the lines going into some type of hydraulic canister right in the center of all the steering arms. It's looks like the line was not installed properly by some one and threaded in crooked. I don't want to take it apart until I find out what these parts are and what I may need to replace.

Thanks
Los Muertos Custom Bicycles
Zumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 12:24 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

It sounds like your setup is an assist cylinder that is horozontal to the steering linkage. This is very similiar to the Corvettes and you need a cut from the manual to show you all of the parts.

You can still get parts for them, I believe, (at least the Corvette version has parts available). Hopefully someone can locate a cut for you.

Verify if what I said describes what you have.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 01:20 PM   #3
ckhd

That's right. The '68s didn't have the "integral" steering like on modern pickups. It actually has a manual steering gear, with a valve on it, that tells the hydraulic ram which way to put pressure. Pretty cool. In '69 they changed to an integral power steering box, where they hydraulics are in the steering gear. I'm not sure about the 4-wheel drives, my '68 came with manual steering, and I don't know if they had a ram or integral steering.

The 4X4 guys pay large amounts of dough for a similar type system with a hydraulic ram. I'd like that type of system on all of my 4 wheel drives. I have a freind that had one on a '69 3/4 4X4 with a big lift (can't remember how big) and 44" tires. He said it drove like a dream. Nice, straight, and stable. Easy to steer.

1968 K20 fleet
1969 K10 swb fleet
1972 K10 Suburban
1972 C10 lwb step
1992 K1500 'burb
1995 K2500 'burb
1997 C1500 'burb
1999 K1500
2000 K1500 'burb

Why do I own so many Suburbans?
ckhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 01:27 PM   #4
Zumo
Hot Rods For Life

Quote:
Originally posted by JimKshortstep4x4
It sounds like your setup is an assist cylinder that is horozontal to the steering linkage. This is very similiar to the Corvettes and you need a cut from the manual to show you all of the parts.

You can still get parts for them, I believe, (at least the Corvette version has parts available). Hopefully someone can locate a cut for you.

Verify if what I said describes what you have.

Jim
Yep I believe that's it. I'll try to shoots some pics of it this evening to show you guys.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:36 PM   #5
Zumo
Hot Rods For Life

Quote:
Originally posted by ckhd
That's right. The '68s didn't have the "integral" steering like on modern pickups. It actually has a manual steering gear, with a valve on it, that tells the hydraulic ram which way to put pressure. Pretty cool. In '69 they changed to an integral power steering box, where they hydraulics are in the steering gear. I'm not sure about the 4-wheel drives, my '68 came with manual steering, and I don't know if they had a ram or integral steering.

The 4X4 guys pay large amounts of dough for a similar type system with a hydraulic ram. I'd like that type of system on all of my 4 wheel drives. I have a freind that had one on a '69 3/4 4X4 with a big lift (can't remember how big) and 44" tires. He said it drove like a dream. Nice, straight, and stable. Easy to steer.
I thought it was kind of cool when I looked at it. I still haven't been able to really get into this truck yet. I have had it since Feb 2002 but I have been using the hell out of it to build a deck and make repairs to a home I am supposed to be closing on tomorrow.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:41 AM   #6
Zumo
Hot Rods For Life

Tooks some pics this AM

This one you can see the crooked angle:

This is just another shot:

Needless to say it is causing a big mess.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:35 AM   #7
Capitol68

Zumo.I agree it is cross threaded,,good news is the fitting is probably a lot softer material than the cylinder part. You might be able to fix it without any parts. When u have time, pull it off and look at the fitting,,u should be able to see the screwed up threads. Take a pocket knife blade and remove the little burr of thread that is prob there.
Then put some teflon tape on fitting ( wrapping in the direction as u would a nut ) Try to screw it back in correctly.
If all else fails. Take hose to a hydraulic hose maker and have one made,,,,prob cost around 60$--- ??
Hope this helps
orig. stock TH 400.

Albert Pine
English author d.1851
Capitol68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 11:06 AM   #8
Zumo
Hot Rods For Life

Quote:
Originally posted by Capitol68
Zumo.I agree it is cross threaded,,good news is the fitting is probably a lot softer material than the cylinder part. You might be able to fix it without any parts. When u have time, pull it off and look at the fitting,,u should be able to see the screwed up threads. Take a pocket knife blade and remove the little burr of thread that is prob there.
Then put some teflon tape on fitting ( wrapping in the direction as u would a nut ) Try to screw it back in correctly.
If all else fails. Take hose to a hydraulic hose maker and have one made,,,,prob cost around 60$--- ??
Hope this helps
I also have the tools to rethread it if I need to. I just don't have them with me. I am living with my mother-in-law until I close tomorrow on my house we just built. I wanted to get this fixed so I wouldn't mess up my new driveway but it looks like I might not make it. Plus I have to get my Snap On box from my fathers garage. He's been "storing it" for me.(transaltion: rebuilding his 74 Stingray with my tools)
Old 11-26-2002, 03:22 PM   #9
Capitol68

cool, then it sounds like u know what u are doing. Also, see if the fitting is a taper pipe thread. If it is, try getting a 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn with a tap in the cyl..dont go much further cause it might go too deep for the fitting. with taper tap u will get new threads real quick. prob a 1/4 npt, maybe put grease on the tap so it will keep any chips from going in the cyl.
good luck,,keep us informed
Mark
any body else have opinions ?
ps could u possilby take a pic of ur pump for my reference
thnx
orig. stock TH 400.

Albert Pine
English author d.1851

Last edited by Capitol68; 11-26-2002 at 03:26 PM.
Capitol68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 03:36 PM   #10
Zumo
Hot Rods For Life

Good tips. I'll use'em.

I'll shoot a pic of the pump this evening from the top and bottom and post it here tomorrow.