The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #1
fdbdw

Boyd welding gas tank

Any experience with this Boyd welding tank, or other/better options.

https://fueltankparts.com/products/6...l-non-efi-tank
fdbdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Re: Boyd welding gas tank

I have the EFI version. Fits great. They are the standard and almost too pretty to cover up.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:20 PM   #3
Stover93

I bought one for my rig. Top notch part. No regrets.
Stover93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
MySons68C20

I have that exact tank....you will not regret buying the best.
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:35 PM   #5
TXgearhead67

I have their EFI tank also. Love it!
TXgearhead67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:00 PM   #6
fdbdw

Good enough for me, ordered
Thanks for the input
Old 10-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #7
greenweenie1969

I have the EFI tank for my 69 c20. Fits great and i think they look better when looking at the truck from the rear as compared to the blazer and lmc tanks. Nice slope.
greenweenie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:49 AM   #8
REDROCKER652002

That tank looks great, gonna show my son and see what he thinks. Has anybody powder coated it? That could be pretty cool too.
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #9
carbuff382

Had the same tank on my 70 SWB, had a pinhole leak on a weld. Contacted Boyd and he sent me a replacement tank, no questions asked. Great products and excellent customer support! Will definitely purchase again.
carbuff382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:39 PM   #10
atm70chevy

I have the same tank also. I love it and absolutely no regrets. They are very high quality tanks.
atm70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:22 PM   #11
AllGoNoShow

Not to hijack a thread, but what are you guys doing for the hose to connect it?

Was looking at upgrading to 8AN (1/2) when I do the tank, but options seem limited in that size as far as mild steel is concerned, stainless appears to be too much of a pain and expensive to get tools to properly flare, which leaves us with flex line...stainless braided? nylon braided (no abrasion resistance)? rubber, ptfe? Too many options!
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:59 AM   #12
salty388

I put a Boyd’s tank on my 70... currently rockin no bed to show it off. I went with 3/8 stainless hardline on the frame with earls compression hardline to an adapters, no leaks yet. Everything else was summit stainless braided ptfe and their fittings. 3/8 seems huge already I can’t imagine runnin 1/2”.
Attached Images

salty388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:07 AM   #13
Jcfcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
Not to hijack a thread, but what are you guys doing for the hose to connect it?

Was looking at upgrading to 8AN (1/2) when I do the tank, but options seem limited in that size as far as mild steel is concerned, stainless appears to be too much of a pain and expensive to get tools to properly flare, which leaves us with flex line...stainless braided? nylon braided (no abrasion resistance)? rubber, ptfe? Too many options!
I used a blazer line then cut it in half and hooked the front up then the rear section. Ended up with 13 in gap in the middle. Sent the lines back to inline tube where they put nuts on the cut ends and flared them. They also made me a 13in long line and sent me 2 couplers to hook it up.
Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:59 AM   #14
TXgearhead67

I did about the same as everyone else. Earls ptfe SS hose for flex and 3/8” SS hardline. Worked good!
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2020, 02:40 AM   #15
AllGoNoShow

How was flaring and bending the stainless steel line and what tools did you use? I assume 37 degree flare?

Thanks for the responses.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #16
TXgearhead67

It wasn’t to bad. I bought a flaring tool kit that goes in a vice from Eastwood. And I needed a tubing straightener. The hardest thing was bending the tubing. I started off with a small tubing bender that was supposed to do 3/8” line and broke it on the first bend. Did a little research and found a Rigid brand bender that was dedicated to 3/8” line only. It is made specifically for bending tough metals like SS. Worked like a charm! It was a little pricey to get tooled up but having the right tools makes any job way easier.

On a side note. If I had it to do over I wouldn’t have used a flare tool. I only made 3 flares on the whole system and I could have done without them. I used Earls compression fittings going from hard line to AN. I really liked how the worked and made it easy. As far as price goes when you use a flare nut you would have to buy a fitting going from NPT to AN anyway. Just my thoughts on it.

Last edited by TXgearhead67; 10-25-2020 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Note on flare tool
Old 10-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #17
salty388

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXgearhead67 View Post
It wasn’t to bad. I bought a flaring tool kit that goes in a vice from Eastwood. And I needed a tubing straightener. The hardest thing was bending the tubing. I started off with a small tubing bender that was supposed to do 3/8” line and broke it on the first bend. Did a little research and found a Rigid brand bender that was dedicated to 3/8” line only. It is made specifically for bending tough metals like SS. Worked like a charm! It was a little pricey to get tooled up but having the right tools makes any job way easier.

On a side note. If I had it to do over I wouldn’t have used a flare tool. I only made 3 flares on the whole system and I could have done without them. I used Earls compression fittings going from hard line to AN. I really liked how the worked and made it easy. As far as price goes when you use a flare nut you would have to buy a fitting going from NPT to AN anyway. Just my thoughts on it.
You spent a chunk on tooling! I went back and forth on how I was gonna do it. I luckily found a swagelok store here in Amarillo and bought my hard line from them, thus eliminating the need for a straightener. I really think I could have gotten by with buying my hard line online somewhere but I thought I was going to need more than 8ft solid lengths. I ended up cutting my 10ft sticks down under 8. And then it was $50 for compression fittings vs a $250 flare tool. I also used earls inline fuel filter, which is a very nice unit.
salty388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:57 PM   #18
Fraud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXgearhead67 View Post
I did about the same as everyone else. Earls ptfe SS hose for flex and 3/8” SS hardline. Worked good!
Is the frame notch needed for the side fill? Or does it depend what bed type you have?
Fraud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:52 AM   #19
TXgearhead67

I don’t think it has to have it.When I was mocking up the tank before I powder coated it looked real close. So I cut a piece of 2” pipe in half and welded it in just to give a little room.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:25 AM   #20
BigBird05

Any body have any pictures of how they mounted there tanks.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:00 AM   #21
zschary

Here's a couple.. Its mounted with the strips that Boyds have to mount them with.. I would recommend you get them.. I tack welded them in but not sure you have to, then just drill the frame for the four holes a side..
They have this one with a factory late model ZL1 gm pump for a swap truck like this running a later model engine.. Its a well made stunning looking piece.. Wish the rest of the truck looked as good ..
Attached Images

zschary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:41 PM   #22
sfont66

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
Any body have any pictures of how they mounted there tanks.
Great tank, easy to mount. I used 3/8 grade 8 hardware. I then marked the flange on the tank for the layout of the bolt holes. Spacing evenly 4 holes per side. Drill holes in tank flanges first,I then used a ratchet strap to hold the tank in position up against the frame rails, then using the holes in the tank flanges to locate the position of the holes needed in the frame, drill through the holes in the flanges and through the frame. Once all 8 holes were complete I lowered the tank removed the strap, and tack welded nuts over the 8 bolt holes. When mounting the tank I used a strip of bicycle inner tube between the tank flanges and bottom of the frame, I also added a couple drops of loctite to the bolts, just for reassurance.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2020, 02:17 AM   #23
AllGoNoShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfont66 View Post
Great tank, easy to mount. I used 3/8 grade 8 hardware. I then marked the flange on the tank for the layout of the bolt holes. Spacing evenly 4 holes per side. Drill holes in tank flanges first,I then used a ratchet strap to hold the tank in position up against the frame rails, then using the holes in the tank flanges to locate the position of the holes needed in the frame, drill through the holes in the flanges and through the frame. Once all 8 holes were complete I lowered the tank removed the strap, and tack welded nuts over the 8 bolt holes. When mounting the tank I used a strip of bicycle inner tube between the tank flanges and bottom of the frame, I also added a couple drops of loctite to the bolts, just for reassurance.
Thanks for the tips and looks good! What paint did you use on the frame?
Old 11-05-2020, 08:19 AM   #24
sfont66

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
Thanks for the tips and looks good! What paint did you use on the frame?
Not trying to derail the thread, so my apologies to the original post.

First I cleaned and sandblasted the frame, then I primed it with epoxy primer, then shot a few coats of Rust-oleum industrial enamel . It holds up very well, and touches up easy. This is not a show truck, just a fun Hot rod.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2020, 08:47 AM   #25
fdbdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfont66 View Post
Not trying to derail the thread, so my apologies to the original post.

First I cleaned and sandblasted the frame, then I primed it with epoxy primer, then shot a few coats of Rust-oleum industrial enamel . It holds up very well, and touches up easy. This is not a show truck, just a fun Hot rod.
Don’t apologize, it’s like sitting around the shop talking about trucks. One conversation leads to another. I think it’s great.