The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #26
jrdz2120

Re: 99+up common problems

Not sure if you guys are being picky or what. My 2000 ext. cab 5.3 has been flawless since new. I have 168,500 hard azz miles and no problems. It has original everything including brakes and are still a 1/4 inch thick. Also I would say I made at least 150+ passes at the track and the same on the street and enjoy killing hemis, those week toyotas , and 4.6 stangs. Guess mine is special.
jrdz2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:18 AM   #27
jamie72

not trying to be picky, but when you pay 30.000 for a truck you want to get a few years out of it before you have any prolbems, and have to spend $$ on it,if i want to work on something i`ll go work on my 72....

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #28
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Isn't that what the 5yr 100K warranty is for?
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:21 AM   #29
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdz2120 View Post
Not sure if you guys are being picky or what. My 2000 ext. cab 5.3 has been flawless since new. I have 168,500 hard azz miles and no problems. It has original everything including brakes and are still a 1/4 inch thick. Also I would say I made at least 150+ passes at the track and the same on the street and enjoy killing hemis, those week toyotas , and 4.6 stangs. Guess mine is special.
Yours isn’t special, it is actually the norm. In the automotive manufacturing and engineering world we have two explanations when trying to explain why one component, piece, part, vehicle, etc will go forever without a single problem while an identical vehicle (or component, piece, part) will suffer from many or all of the “common” problems within what one feel is a short time.

The first is to talk about the upper and lower spec limits of manufacturing. Basically, it boils down to tolerances. Manufacturers have set standards on acceptable tolerances a component must met to be an acceptable part. Of these components some will be better than others as they are closest to the engineering spec (upper spec limit) and some will be towards the lower spec limit, which isn’t bad…it just isn’t as good as those close to spec. The tighter, more consistent the tolerances are the higher quality component, piece, end product, etc will be. The more components, subcomponents, assemblies and end products that can be build with all upper spec limit parts are the best quality.

The second thing is sometimes you will find a vehicle, product, etc that will have a chain of failures of a component or many components at a lower mileage, age, etc and we call that a stack up of tolerances, which is basically a combination of many subcomponents that where built at the lower spec limits that happened to be assembled together in one unit. Think of a water pump that the mounting bosses weren’t machined to exact engineers spec’s but was still within the manufactures acceptable spec limit, and a water pump gasket that was manufactured with one the lower section of the gasket thinner than the top section but the entire gasket still within the manufactures acceptable spec limit. Once you stack these two lower spec limit parts together your failure rate potential of a leak increases drastically. …but that is what a warranty is for. Warranty is an insurance policy against low spec limit components.

Even though it is dirt old TQM principles that an engineering mentor of mine still talks about constantly, it is about the only scientific explanation most people can understand as to why a small percentage of vehicles won’t make it 40,000 miles without a water pump gasket (or whatever), while most will exceed 168,500 hard azz miles (and beyond) with no problems.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:48 AM   #30
chevyfan87

in the northern states, the rear backing plates are known for rotting off early in the srevice life of the truck...had mine replaced at 135k because there was nothing left of them, and thats what holds your e-brake assembly in

also, fuel pumps. around here at least everybody i know with one of these trucks has lost a fuel pump before...ive replaced mine twice now...and ive just hit 140k

2000 gmc sierra 1500 4.3 4x4

too poor for the projects
chevyfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:48 PM   #31
jrdz2120

Unhappy Re: 99+up common problems

well,
you make an accurate point. I wasn't trying to be arrogant. We all come to expect an exceptable level of quality and reliability from a purchase that is priced at a large pecentage of our salaries especially at the way things are right now. It seems to me that the 99-2001 silverados came out better the the years that followed. I only experienced the piston slap that was remedied with the proper oil filter, pcv, and switching to 5w30 standard mobil oil.I also used the seafoam engine cleaner and my milage is back up to 415 to 430 miles per tank driving under 80 on the freeway. My best to date is roughly 530 miles from Donna , Texas in the riogrand valley to waxahachie just south of dallas. I hope I didn't jinx myself. Later.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:24 AM   #32
Joe67
67 is sold

Quote:
well,
you make an accurate point. I wasn't trying to be arrogant. We all come to expect an exceptable level of quality and reliability from a purchase that is priced at a large pecentage of our salaries especially at the way things are right now. It seems to me that the 99-2001 silverados came out better the the years that followed. I only experienced the piston slap that was remedied with the proper oil filter, pcv, and switching to 5w30 standard mobil oil.I also used the seafoam engine cleaner and my milage is back up to 415 to 430 miles per tank driving under 80 on the freeway. My best to date is roughly 530 miles from Donna , Texas in the riogrand valley to waxahachie just south of dallas. I hope I didn't jinx myself. Later.
My 2000 5.3l GMC still has 'piston slap' that is not remedied by oil or anything else related to general maintenance. I will say that I am about to hit 200K on my truck without ANY issues related to piston slap, in all these years I have yet to read anything that it has caused any issues down the road

To me it is just an annoyance and nothing more

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:26 AM   #33
Joe67
67 is sold

Quote:
Not being picky, there are some very common problems with the 1999-2001 trucks and they are all pretty much listed above. If you had none of those problems, cool

I will say, what mods are done to your truck? I know the 5.3l 2000 Trucks are not killing Hemis on a regular basis without some tweaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie72 View Post
not trying to be picky, but when you pay 30.000 for a truck you want to get a few years out of it before you have any prolbems, and have to spend $$ on it,if i want to work on something i`ll go work on my 72....
I agree, but any early release will have some annoyances or minor issues that need fixing. as 67ChevyRedneck posted, that is what the warranty is for

Old 04-04-2009, 08:18 AM   #34
jrdz2120

nothing special done. hyperprogrammer, flowmaster, and intake and I would'nt call that treaking. Has the factory g80 with 3.42 gear. I don't know why, but this truck just runs stronger than other 5.3 and 6.0 chevy's that I have driven. I have a friend who has had three different dodges, all hemis and three friends with titans and I can outrun them. Have not messed with the toyota yet. I am gonna get around 70% of the torque managment flashed out and it should really fly if the tranny doesn't die.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #35
Joe67
67 is sold

Quote:
nothing special done. hyperprogrammer, flowmaster, and intake and I would'nt call that treaking. Has the factory g80 with 3.42 gear. I don't know why, but this truck just runs stronger than other 5.3 and 6.0 chevy's that I have driven. I have a friend who has had three different dodges, all hemis and three friends with titans and I can outrun them. Have not messed with the toyota yet. I am gonna get around 70% of the torque managment flashed out and it should really fly if the tranny doesn't die.
Did you buy this truck new or used?
Especially with the 3.42 gear, Those Hemis would have to have some payload in the bed

Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #36
jrdz2120

I got it used with 7 thousand miles.The glove box has g80 for the lsd and gu6 which is a 3.42. It should have come with 3.73 gt4 and maybe it does, but does'nt show it this way.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #37
chevyfan87

the 4.3 still has a distributor, which the entire body of is plastic...base of the distributor(where the cap hooks down) is prone to cracking and breaking causing misfures

2000 gmc sierra 1500 4.3 4x4

too poor for the projects
chevyfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #38
cheyenne402

What is the proper pcv and oil filter?
cheyenne402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #39
michael bustamante

I work for an exteded warranty company and I can tell you the most common problems I see are the
1. guage cluster failure, (pick a guage they all go bad) theres an exteded warraty on this just amended to 80k on 03 and 04 models
2. power steer hoses leaking from hydroboost (recall on this one)
3. fuel guage sending unit, ALL GM`S
4. Intermediate shaft of course.
5. Encoder motor on the 4wd. either the sensor or the motor itself.
6. noise in front end, TSB says to shim the frame in the front
7. idler and pitman arm failure
8. xfer case pump breaks loose, spins and shaft and pops a hole in the case.
Lights going out in the dash, if its an led, its gonna burn out.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #40
Huck

I just love the claim about "not common problems" hehehehe. My first was a 2000 Silverado Z71, second was a 2000 Tahoe 4x4 and now I have a 2002 Silverado Lt. All had engine noise, steering column slap, antilock premature break wear in the front, premature parking brake wear on drivers rear, pass floor heater vent issues--and when you look on the web----there are virtually THOUSANDS OF FOLKS WITH THE SAME PROBLEMS---coincidence?? And if NOT common problems, then why does GM have service tips and or recalls on every one of the above???????????????
In my humble opinion, the factory WARRANTY is not designed to help the customer but to reduce the dissatisfaction with faulty designs and or faulty manufacturing. They increase the warranty to compete with other manufacturers. GM extended their warranty not because of tolerance issues but because they are loosing market share to others and if they didn't extend their warranty to compete, they would loose even more share. Multiple tolerance failures is a factor of shody manufacturing and-or shody design allowing failure potential. They can design and built it out or they can try to save pennies and allow it to happen then try to buy your happiness with warranty BS. Sorry guys but I just don't buy it!!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #41
dmarty

1999 Silverado LT Z71 5.3 237k Miles Original owner, Wisconsin weather

Fuel press reg

ABS controller. At 100k, hit a pot hole while braking. ABS started cycling and wouldn't stop. Made a humming/buzzing sound. Pulled the fuse to get home. You can replace the controller without opening up the hyd lines.

Auto 4X4 dash control

Fuel gauge sender unit

Accel pedal sticks. Have to clean TB every 6 to 12 months.

Piston slap/lifter rattle at 100k was fixed by going to 10W40 dino oil year round. Yup, I know the manual says not to. You just have to let it warm up for a few minutes in the winter before you start driving. Also I have a heated garage, so that helps.

Parking brake backing plates rusted up at 160k. PITA to replace as you have to pull the axles.

Seat heater switches stick if they get dirt in them. Blow out with compressed air and spray in a little silicone to fix.

I'd like to get a new truck, but this one just keeps on running. Too many miles to get anything out of it, so I just keep driving it.... basically for free. Nothing wrong with that!

99 Silverado 1500 LT with 315K miles
(RIP)

2012 GMC Sierra SLT
dmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:34 AM   #42
79blazer

The auto 4x4 switch is defiantly a problem, so mush that is probably isn't a problem, because if it was weak the previous owner or warranty probably took care of it.

My dad bought a 2000 Silverado 5.3 new and the switch went out in the first year. It was a city truck so 4x4 wasn't used... still broke. Then He traded it for a 2003 Tahoe 5.3 and the same switch broke again. The Center counsel/center seat latch broke on both too. I think warranty covered it though.

I've tried the "auto 4x4" mode and its to slow to do much good. It will switch back and forth repeatedly. It detects wheel slippage then turns on 4x4. Pulls out as soon as the wheel gains traction.

I've heard the "piston slap" I always thought it was a ping type of noise, like temporary ignition timing off a little. I didn't think it was mechanical though. Only 1 or 2 knocks on start up. Not a real problem.

Both were easy to spin the rear tires though. That one hasn't gone away. That's a problem you have to look out for.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #43
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rddiaz View Post
leaking from somewhere and I can"t find out where from!..
Welcome to GM trucks and SUV's from 1995 and up. My last 3 drove me crazy with leaks of every type.I finally solved my "newer" GM leaking problem by not buying anymore!
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #44
hillytim69

After reading through this thread I'm only more disappointed with my 2000 4.8/4l60E Silverado 4x4. It has the "towing package" with 3.73 gears and whatever else that entails. This thing can't climb up a slight grade without downshifting every 30 sec even with my small utility trailer loaded down with a Murray riding mower. I know only its a 4.8 but they claim 285 horse or something? It has no torque whatsoever. I miss my 95 Z71 5.7 TBI, it had nothing above 4000 rpm but had lots of grunt down low and could pull my boat up a hill easily. Not to mention the annoying column clunking, piston slap, burnt out radio buttons, $1000 abs pump repair, overdrive shift solenoid, blower motor resistor, noisy ac compressor etc. This truck is a weak, cheap built POS. Now I hear you guys saying the 07 ups are worse?? I've always had Chevy trucks but am ready to throw in the towel on these newer ones. Lots of you say you won't buy another but tell me what new truck out there is worth buying? I'm tempted to cross the line and go with a F150. At least the 5.4 has low end torque, that is what a truck motor is supposed to have right? I know the Chevy LS series engines are screamers which is great for a Vette or camaro,but what good is that in a truck?
hillytim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #45
michael bustamante

before switching to the dark (ford) side let me fill you guys in on some common problems for f-150,and up along with suv`s
ball joints constantly go bad
trannys slip
rear ends go out and need rebuild
v8`s pop the spark plugs out of the head due to threads stripping. (head replacement)
deisels. the egr cooler leaks
window motor/regulators go out in all 4 door windows.
these are the ones I can just think of off the top of my head.

Last edited by michael bustamante; 05-26-2009 at 02:55 PM.
michael bustamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:44 AM   #46
hillytim69

sigh....I'm aware of some of the Ford shortcomings because my cousin has a 99 F150. How about the Dodge hemi's? I got the 2000 because i have a family and it was a pain getting the kids in the back of the 95 with no rear doors. i have owned a multitude of 73-80 Chevy's in my lifetime, 1/2 tons, 3'4 tons, pickups , Blazers , and a Suburban. And also my 95 K1500 ext cab (that I kick myself for selling now) and I have never been disappointed with any of them up till now with this 2000 4.8 Silverado. Maybe I will start looking for a clean used 98-99 Vortec 5.7 I just want a decent newer modern pickup truck
Old 05-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #47
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

Anyone have problems with their AC, I have a 97 silverado classic 5.3l. My AC just stoped working for a bit, it works now. But cant turn it up past 3. I've read of other people having problems with this, but didn't say how to fix it!

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #48
smbrouss70

It's probably the blower motor resistor. The connector overheats & melts, so you'll probably want to change it too. That's what I had to do to my 04 anyways.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #49
michael bustamante

its the resistor and harness for sure, thats another very common gm concern, but an easy fix
Old 06-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #50
hillytim69

Well I fixed my clunking steering column, ordered a Dorman 425-176 Intermediate Steering Shaft from Amazon and it only cost $48 shipped. Same part# that Napa sells. 2 bolts-easy fix and made a big difference on my truck. I bought from AUTO PARTS 123 on amazon if anyone wants to purchase same. Best price I found and super fast ship.

Last edited by hillytim69; 06-01-2009 at 12:50 PM.