The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #51
Slow Build

Re: Going to look at a Tahoe. High miles-should I worry

I agree that the best thing to do is just find a suitable used 5.3 and drop it in. At this point though I just don't have the funds to do it and it might be a while before I do. I'm going to try to sell some of my extra part and other stuff laying around the garage so I can buy an engine and just live with the rest of it until I can afford to fix it. One problem is the pressure I'm getting from my wife and dad to sell it before or after I fix it but I think that once I fix it why not keep it. I know that I'll probably get tranny issues somewhere down the line but I can accept that. For now though It a good thing it looks nice in my driveway because it's going to be there a while.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #52
Dino Driver

I spent about $1k on ac for my 94. The next time I used it it blew hot air too. Took it back and they found the schrader valves were bad. Replaced them and it has worked well since.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dino Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:58 AM   #53
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

He buddy, sorry to hear about what your going thru.

What a piece of s#it, mutha f###er he is !

I think try the big sign thing on the roof .... Mabey have a buddy drive it down there ?

Really hope it works out for you !
Posted via Mobile Device

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #54
'63GENIII

That whole thing sux! I would really start thinking about the head gasket(s) after making sure that there wasn't a crack somewhere. It won't raise the cylinder pressures like the shop said (unless you're looking at decking the heads. In that case a good set of used heads can be had cheap). I've had really good results with high mileage head gasket changes. It seems to work out cheaper and be less involved than an engine swap especially when I don't have the scratch to lay out for an engine in the first place. My. 02¢
Posted via Mobile Device)
Posted via Mobile Device

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #55
ArkGL01

Ya there would be a sign on it saying how bad you got ripped off. I would contact a lawyer and spend some money that way...
Old 06-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #56
HeloCrewChief

Just want to start by saying sorry to hear about everything. Not to throw all used car dealers in California in the same basket but, I would never even consider stopping at these used car dealers. Here's the reason why. When I first got out of the Army last year I got a job that required me to travel to many of these different dealers and do stuff for them. The horrors I saw going on with almost all of the cars were disturbing. Some of these places employ their own body shop/mechanics. Im talking 7 series BMW's being torn apart by guys that looked like they had no idea what they were doing. Painting bumpers and fenders in the open air. You should see how jacked up these cars are when they come in from the auction or wherever else they found them. All disgusting. My hands would be black from just getting in these cars to move them. The line of customers going in to complain was never ending. Just please dont do it and try and buy from a private party with a low amount of owners.
1968 Chevelle
1964 Comet Caliente
1990 W250 Cummins
HeloCrewChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #57
Slow Build

I've found a few engines around the area that range from $500-$575 with from 30 day to 6 month warranty. Two of them have known mileage 92k & 100k the other is unknown. I'm going to go this route some time next week after I get the cash together. I figure it ain't gonna be an easy install especially with my back but I have no better choice. After that I'll shop around for the best price on the AC fix. Just for fun I'll send a bill to the car dealer.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside

Old 06-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #58
awbrown

"After that I'll shop around for the best price on the AC fix. Just for fun I'll send a bill to the car dealer. "

is that before or after you park your truck by the dealership with the big sign on the roof???
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #59
Slow Build

If I can get my 64 back on the road I'd love to drive up there and put a big sign on it saying "Ask me why I'm not driving my used car from Direct Auto Outlet".
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside

Old 06-24-2012, 03:57 AM   #60
Richardman1992

What all these people from TEXAS and GEORGIA are forgetting is that prices in those states don't mean **** in California because EVERYTHING is more expensive in Cali. Yeah there are deals to be had occasionally, but they're few and far between. To the op, I'd google lkq and find a cheap engine, I'm pretty sure they have a location in rancho cordova and Sacramento. And I'd bug the **** out of the California better business bureau
Posted via Mobile Device
1987 Iroc LB9/auto/G92- rusty 600 dollar future beater
1991 5.0 Fox Body- 200 dollar running driving project
Richardman1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #61
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
, start looking in TX for one, I bet you can fly out and drive one home with less miles for 7k easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardman1992 View Post
What all these people from TEXAS and GEORGIA are forgetting is that prices in those states don't mean **** in California because EVERYTHING is more expensive in Cali. Posted via Mobile Device
nobody is forgetting that the prices are high, we KNOW that they are high! that sucks for you guys out there that have to deal with that. i think what josh is sayin is that you can probably fly to texas, buy one, have it shipped it to california, and it still be cheaper than most in california

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #62
El Campo

Should have bought a Ford. My 2000 Ford has 285000 and has been almost a hundred percent trouble free. Doesn't have a single one of those problems. Still has a stock clutch, the oil sample comes back form Blackstone as good as a brand new one every time. Never touched the transmission. The AC blows colder and has for its entire life than my GFs Lexus. LMAO!!!!!!!!! Sorry, I am kidding I couldn't resist. Im sorry to hear about that bro, that stinks. Those are great looking vehicles and I hate that that happened to you. I hope the dealer has some integrity and helps you out.
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #63
justcuz

Look up castech heads, then see if you have them. I replaced mine in my 2000 Suburban and it had 179,000 miles on it. It now has 218,000 miles on it, so putting new heads on an old engine story is baloney. Actually old race engine mechanics used to clean up the heads after an engine was broken in to pick up extra power frequently. Mine had original machining marks in the bores and no ridge. The pistons did not rock in the bores so I went for it. It has had about 40,000 miles put on it since the heads were done. These engines are pretty bulletproof, but be careful buying used engines, they may have the bad heads and the 4.8 and 5.3 use the same block, so you may end up with a 4.8 thinking you got a 5.3.
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #64
Slow Build

Long overdue update:

When I last post I had said I would be changing the engine when I had the money together to do so. Well, that wasn't happening back then. I ended up using Head Gasket in a Bottle, a $60 miracle cure. I knew it was a temp fix but it held for a little over a year before letting go. I finally ended up with a junkyard engine with 101,000 miles on it with a 6 month warranty for $1800 including installation. So I have been able to keep it on the road but still haven't fixed the AC or the fuel gauge issue. I was never able to get anything out of the dealership except a threat of a lawsuit if I didn't stop my CL ads.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside

Old 01-26-2014, 12:17 AM   #65
57chevyman

I think I got the deal of the century on my truck. 4 years ago, I got a 2000 Silverado, ext cab, 5.3, z71 4x4, step up bars, loaded. it was 1 owner with 180k miles I got for $2000.00 !
it now has 235,000 miles and running great. I got new wheels and swapped the tail lights for 2004 taillights

1957 Chevy 3100
2000 Silverado z71 SOLD
2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
1992 International 4700
57chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:54 AM   #66
donthekawguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Build View Post
Long overdue update:

When I last post I had said I would be changing the engine when I had the money together to do so. Well, that wasn't happening back then. I ended up using Head Gasket in a Bottle, a $60 miracle cure. I knew it was a temp fix but it held for a little over a year before letting go. I finally ended up with a junkyard engine with 101,000 miles on it with a 6 month warranty for $1800 including installation. So I have been able to keep it on the road but still haven't fixed the AC or the fuel gauge issue. I was never able to get anything out of the dealership except a threat of a lawsuit if I didn't stop my CL ads.
I would keep the CL ads going and part out front of the dealership just because they threatened to sue you. They have no grounds for a suit if you tell what happened. It's not slander if you tell the truth. Also if your not on their property you can put a big sign in the bed of your truck saying you got ripped off and park it right in front of the lot. Get a bullhorn and yell into it at all the customers that pull in. The cops will tell you to stop with the bullhorn but you can bug them for a while with it. I love when people say they are going to sue me (it happens about 4-5 times a week) because I know the laws when it comes to my line of work and the person saying they are going to sue is wrong 100% of the time.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:24 AM   #67
jpgearjammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Build View Post
Long overdue update:

Glad you got it rolling and not just parked in your driveway. If there is a next time please show up at the lot and make sure the engine is cold by popping the hood and feeling it and then check the dipstick before you crank it over. Then after you take it for a hour plus test drive on surface streets and highways check the oil again. Also while you on the hour plus test drive play with every button and switch on the vehicle as well as trying out the power windows and fan speeds,as well as heat and a/c.
If not sure get your own mechanic to check it out for you.
jpgearjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:31 AM   #68
Slow Build

Another update:
I can't believe I still have this Tahoe. Still no AC but I fixed the fuel gauge years ago (replaced fuel pump and sender). I bought a 2005 GMC Sierra over a year ago (that has working AC) and I still drive the Tahoe. I threw a rebuilt transmission in it after buying the truck. I decided not to sell it. Also put on M&S tires for winter (like I really need it in the SF Bay Area). The paint looks like crap now but it's a great runner.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside