The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
joe231

Adding cruise to a 2005 Chevy Express 2500 van?

Just wondering if anyone has any info on adding factory cruise controll to a non factory equipped Express van. I realize that there are aftermarket cruise kits. But I would like to use factory parts if possible. This van has a 4.8L and auto transmission with power windows and locks.
Could it be as simple as changing the turn stalk? Is it a plug and play deal?
Thanks!!
Old 12-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: Adding cruise to a 2005 Chevy Express 2500 van?

Is it electronic throttle or cable drivin. I know its electronic on a truck, but vans have always been a little different, just want to be sure. if its electronic im floored that its not standard with everything being intergrated in the PCM & TAC module. You might have to reflach the ECM with a different VIN to enable the cruise, a new TAC module, and add wires between the TAC & a new multifuction switch. I guess we will start with the harness does the TAC module have wires 4,5,&14
Attached Images

clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

It very well could be. I know on the Workhorse commercial stripped chassis used under step vans that use the same Delphi steering column as the Silverado and Express vans along with the Vortec engines only require adding a cruise type stalk and it is plug and play. The PCM is already programmed for cruise, etc. I am suprised a 2005 G-van didn't have cruise as standard equipment, as most vehicles got it as standard equipement once the electronic throttle bodies (drive by wire) came on the scene. Are you sure it is a 2005? If it is an older G-van with a cable operated throttle body adding cruise is a lot more involved.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:12 AM   #4
BIG10

Cruise is still an option on many vehicles today. You can get a brand new 2010 Express work van without cruise, same with the Silverado, Colorado and many others.

1978 Big 10 Silverado, 355 + 700R4 + 3.42 + factory tach + A/C + dual tanks + working cruise control = awesome highway cruiser.
BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
joe231

Thanks for all the quick responses guys.
I will check the TAC
I will check to see if it is in fact drive by wire
and I will also verify the year and get back to you.

Just a little more info on the van.....it is my bosses van. I use it at work. He bought it from one if the big elevator companys. I guess when they buy trucks and vans, they get them as stripped down as possible. I'm suprised it has power windows and locks. Were they standard back then?
Old 12-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
joe231

Ok, well here is what I found.....

It has a build date of 10-04, it is a 2005, but it has a regular old throttle cable, no throttle by wire.....so I'm not sure what would need to happen to add cruise. I know it will take some parts and wiring, but how involved would it be?

would it be easier-cheaper to get an aftermarket unit?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
clinebarger

Installing factory cruise whould the best, with the use of used parts i think it whould be the cheapest. Heres some info on how it works, diagrams and locations. does your van have the plug for the cruise module? it might be taped to the wiper harness even though its not plugged in to anything?

CRUISE CONTROL DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION (WITHOUT THROTTLE ACTUATOR CONTROL)

Cruise control is a speed control system that maintains a desired vehicle speed under normal driving conditions at vehicle speeds above 40 km/h (25 mph ). Steep grades may cause variations in the selected vehicle speeds.

The following are the main components of the cruise control system:

The powertrain control module (PCM)
The On/Off switch
The Resume/Accel switch
The Set/Coast switch
The torque converter clutch (TCC) brake switch
The stop lamp switch
The cruise control module
The vehicle speed sensor
Cruise Control Engaged
The cruise control system will engage and adjust vehicle speed based on the activation of the following cruise control switches:

On/Off
Resume/Accel
Set/Coast
The cruise control switches are located on the multifunction/turn signal lever.

The cruise control module monitors the signal circuits of the cruise control switches in order to determine when to capture and maintain the selected vehicle speed. The cruise control module receives the vehicle speed signal from the powertrain control module (PCM), via the vehicle speed signal circuit. The cruise control module is an electronic controller and an electric stepper motor. The electric controller monitors the vehicle speed and operates the electric stepper motor. The electric stepper motor moves a strap that is attached to the cruise control cable in order to move the throttle linkage. Voltage is supplied from the 15-amp PCM IGN 1 fuse to the cruise control module via the ignition 1 voltage circuit.

Voltage is supplied from the 10-amp IGN E fuse, to the cruise control switch via the ignition 1 voltage circuit. When the normally open cruise control On/Off switch is turned ON, the switch closes and the cruise control module detects a high signal voltage on the cruise ON switch signal circuit. When the normally open Set/Coast switched is pressed, the switch closes and the cruise control module detects a high signal voltage on the Set/Coast signal circuit. To engage the cruise control system, the On/Off switch must be ON and the set button momentarily pressed. The PCM will confirm that the cruise control enable criteria has been met. When the PCM determines that the cruise control enable criteria has been met, the PCM will open the normally grounded cruise control inhibit signal circuit. The cruise control module will provide a ground to the cruise control engaged signal circuit to the PCM. The cruise control module will record the selected vehicle speed. Pressing the accelerator pedal, while the cruise control system is engaged, will allow the driver to override the cruise control system in order to accelerate the vehicle beyond the current set vehicle speed. When the accelerator pedal is released, the vehicle will decelerate and resume the current set vehicle speed. The driver can also override the current set vehicle speed via the Set/Coast switch and the Resume/Accel switch. When the cruise control system is engaged, pressing and holding the Set/Coast switch will allow the vehicle to decelerate from the current set vehicle speed without deactivating the cruise control system. When the Set/Coast switch is released, the cruise control module will record the vehicle speed and maintain the vehicle speed as the new set vehicle speed. When the cruise control system is engaged, momentarily pressing the Set/Coast switch will allow the vehicle to decelerate at 1.6 km/h (1 mph ) increments for each time that the Set/Coast is momentarily pressed, with a minimum vehicle speed of 37 km/h (23 mph ). When the normally open Resume/Accel switch is activated, the switch closes and the cruise control module detects a high signal voltage on the cruise control Resume/Accel switch signal circuit. Activating and holding the Resume/Accel switch, when the cruise control system is engaged, will allow the vehicle to accelerate to a greater vehicle speed than the current set vehicle speed. When the Resume/Accel switch is released, the cruise control module will record the vehicle speed and maintain the vehicle speed as the new set vehicle speed. When the cruise control system is engaged, momentarily activating the Resume/Accel switch will allow the vehicle to accelerate at 1.6 km/h (1 mph ) increments for each time that the resume/accel switch is momentarily activated, with the maximum acceleration total of 16 km/h (10 mph ) over the current set vehicle speed. Momentarily activating the Resume/Accel switch, after the cruise control system has been disengaged by pressing the brake pedal, will recall the previous set vehicle speed that is recorded in the cruise control module.

Cruise Control Disengaged
The cruise control module disengages the cruise control operation based on the signals from the following switches:

The On/Off switch
The torque convert clutch (TCC)/brake switch
The stop lamp switch
The TCC/brake switch and the stop lamp switch are used to disengage the cruise control. The stop lamp and TCC/brake switch are incorporated into an assembly and are mounted to the brake pedal bracket. When the brake pedal is pressed, the normally closed TCC/brake switch opens and the normally open stop lamp switch closes. The cruise control module detects a low signal voltage on the TCC/brake signal circuit and detects a high signal voltage on the stop lamp signal circuit. The vehicle speed stored in the memory of the cruise control module will be erased when the cruise control On/Off switch is turned OFF, or the ignition switch is turned OFF.

Cruise Control Inhibited
The powertrain control module (PCM) inhibits the cruise control operation when any of the following conditions exist:

The vehicle is in PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, or 1st gear.
The engine RPM is low.
The engine RPM is high.
The vehicle speed is high.
The system voltage is not between 9-16 volts .
The antilock brake system/traction control system is active for more than 2 seconds .
When the PCM detects a malfunction, or the cruise control criteria has not been met, the PCM grounds the cruise control inhibit signal circuit, and the cruise control module detects a low signal voltage.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
joe231

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Installing factory cruise whould the best, with the use of used parts i think it whould be the cheapest. Heres some info on how it works, diagrams and locations. does your van have the plug for the cruise module? it might be taped to the wiper harness even though its not plugged in to anything?

Thanks a lot!!!!
I will look for the cruise plug tomorrow

That is lots of great info right there. Do you think maybe you could email me the diagram. It is kinda small and when I zoom in on it it is fuzzy.

squarebodylove@gmail.com
Old 12-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
BIG10

I wanted to add cruise to my Nissan Frontier, but the cheapest aftermarket I could find was $400 (installed - I suck at wiring). Wasn't worth it. The Nissan dealer wouldn't even touch it. If you could do it with factory parts that would be great.

1978 Big 10 Silverado, 355 + 700R4 + 3.42 + factory tach + A/C + dual tanks + working cruise control = awesome highway cruiser.
BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #10
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
Thanks a lot!!!!
I will look for the cruise plug tomorrow

That is lots of great info right there. Do you think maybe you could email me the diagram. It is kinda small and when I zoom in on it it is fuzzy.

squarebodylove@gmail.com
How do i do that? Im a mechanic, not a computer whiz so bare with me. Im going to post it one more time to see if its better then ill try emailing too you.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #11
joe231

Thanks for the email.
I checked under the hood and found the connector for the cruise control module. So I assume there is wiring there to add the cruise stalk and the cruise module. Wonder if it will work plug and play or if the computer will need some changes? I also looked at the throttle cable and there is a place for another cable to clip into the throttle cable bracket and a little tit for the cruise cable to hook to. Now I guess we need to locate some wrecked vans.
Thanks again for all the help!!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #12
clinebarger

If the harness is there it should plug in and work with the new multifunction switch Heres some GM part numbers

Control Cable 15130489

Module 15752335

Turn Signal Switch
With Cruise Control 1999410

Last edited by clinebarger; 12-10-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #13
71swb4x4

I have the same van, only with cruise. 2005 Chevy Express 2500 with the 4.8/auto power windows and power locks. If you need pictures let me know.

If my cruise control parts disappear I will know who to check with first.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #14
joe231

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
If the harness is there it should plug in and work with the new multifunction switch Heres some GM part numbers

Control Cable 15130489

Module 15752335

Turn Signal Switch
With Cruise Control 1999410
cool, Thanks!!

I just tallied up those three parts at gmpartsdirect.com.......$541.44 with estimated shipping......
guess a trip to the local junk yards is in order....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
I have the same van, only with cruise. 2005 Chevy Express 2500 with the 4.8/auto power windows and power locks. If you need pictures let me know.

If my cruise control parts disappear I will know who to check with first.

dunno, SD is kinda far to make a midnight parts run

Pics would be great!!
Thanks!

Last edited by joe231; 12-10-2009 at 04:37 PM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #15
71swb4x4

If you need pictures, let me know of what. I need to know where it will be, and what it will look like.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #16
joe231

if you find the wiring going up into the cowl area for the wiper motor (should be just to the passenger side of the brake master cylinder), there is a branch off of it that should be plugged into the cruise module. There should also be a throttle cable coming from the module going to the throttle body. If you could get a pic of how and where the module is mounted, along with the cable routing, that would be great, and a pic of the cruise control on the turn stalk also would be helpful.

THANKS!!!

Last edited by joe231; 12-10-2009 at 04:35 PM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #17
71swb4x4

Not the best pictures, but here are some.
First picture, is that the module you were looking for?
Second picture shows the cable passing through a mounting bracket on the engine.
Third picture is the cruise stalk.

It is very tough to get pictures in this thing. If I could pull the doghouse we would have much better pictures, but it's 8 degrees outside not factoring in windchill and I am not going to be out there more than I have to.

If there are other pictures you need let me know and I will try. The throttle body is too far in there to get pictures of.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #18
joe231

Dang man!!
Your fast!
Thanks!!
I'll will let you know if I need more pics