The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2011, 12:49 AM   #26
Bull72

Re: Installing Air Conditioning in a 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
I reread this post and felt the need to comment. I have talked to a lot of professional automotive A/C guys, particularly Carlisle Air here in San Antonio. Carlisle has promised me that if I let them choose the parts they can make my factory setup colder than any of the after market kits. They achieve this by knowing exactly which crossflow condenser, POA Valve (or orifice tube etc), amount of refrigerant, etc to use. The other key is using an updated compressor such as a Sanden (their opinion). So it wouldn't be completely stock but the firewall and everything inside the cab would look that way. I have seen a couple 67-72 trucks they updated in this way and they were COLD especially for here in South Texas. As a side note the owner of Carlisle air is old freinds with the owner of Vintage Air which is located here in town.

Also the hangup I have with the aftermarket kits is that they are 100% recirculated air, you don't have a choice. This isn't a big problem for a/c but it makes the heat real stuffy and uncomfortable in my opinion. The stock heater set up is 100% outside air. In my part of the world we use both a/c and heat in different times of the year. Summers are 100 degrees and winters can be down in the 20s. The way I see it is the aftermarket kits are awesome if you are dealing with a non-a/c truck, but if you originally had a/c you might be better off keeping a stock style system the key is to matching up all the old and new components to work together. Anyway, those are just some of my thoughts, I plan to update my original system in the way I mentioned above.

48Richard you did a wonderful job at converting yours! Great inspiration for all of us.
Critter did they give you any quotes for parts/labor to install?

My mini build (I had a great starting point)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=440743
Bull72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:36 AM   #27
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

I didn't get a quote in writing but they were ready to write it up. I knew I was a year (at least) away from needing it done so it would have been somewhat pointless. The way it was discussed was for approximately $100 over the cost of a complete after market kit they would fix me up with parts AND labor. That basically included all the under hood stuff along with the evaporator (which is technically inside the dash) but none of the "dash stuff". Meaning the lever controls, ductwork, ducts etc. So the cost of doing it this way is more expensive if you are starting from scratch, but I still like it more than the after-market option personally. By the way its been about 8 months since I was in there but I doubt much has changed.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #28
67Slider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparman View Post
here are some pics of my truck. The kit from Classic Auto Air is very complete, and also comes with templates for cutting a non A/C dash to accept the factory center vent, and the factory side vents. I chose to use their side vents, and a factory center. Their kit says that you cannot have an in dash speaker. i bought a " kit " from Brothers that is designed to improve air flow over the factory center vent. It also makes room for an in dash speaker ( just a benefit ) Brothers part # CVUG072
cparman,

I was looking at the classic parts kit. Did you have to replace your glovebox? I have my stero in there and was wondering if I would need to find a different place for it if I went with this kit.
67Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:52 AM   #29
99-LS1-SS

Subscribed.
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:27 AM   #30
BBrendal
Recalculating.....

subscribed as well!

1969 Chevy Camaro Z28
1972 Chevy Blazer CST
2004 GMC Yukon (The truck that pulls the car trailer)
1972 Chevy Blazer CST #2 (Finished and sold!)

Blazer build link...
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/...rendal/Blazer/
BBrendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #31
bigeasycigars

ditto
Old 03-15-2012, 02:18 AM   #32
tdkosta

I've been busy rounding up parts to put factory air in my blazer. How's the ac holing up for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48richard View Post
Quick update on performance - I drove the truck from the LA area to Phoenix yesterday, and most of the way was 105 to110 degrees. I was comfortable, but only just, using outside air. I am going to tint the side and back windows, because the back of my neck was getting fried by the afternoon sun; also I've got to work on engine cooling - I didn't change the radiator from the original, and the temp gauge was at the top of the normal range all the way over. I think I would have been in trouble if it had been any hotter.
tdkosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #33
BobbyK

Location: Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,Mi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Slider View Post
cparman,

I was looking at the classic parts kit. Did you have to replace your glovebox? I have my stero in there and was wondering if I would need to find a different place for it if I went with this kit.

A factory A/C glove-box liner is different from a non-A/C glove-box.
BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #34
BobbyK

Location: Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,Mi.

Here is my factory A/C glove-box liner.

BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #35
48richard

So far so good. Couple of issues - the air mix door won't stay all the way to cold - it creeps over towards the hot side, and I've got a refrigerant leak from the schrader valve in the old POA valve. Should have replaced that. Anyway, with those things fixed, I'll be happy.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #36
tdkosta

I Just got a plastic glove box yesterday in the mail. Very annoyed that it excluded the area for the glove box light.
Attached Images

tdkosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #37
Two45s

Richard,

Looks like you did a great job adding factory A/C to your 1971. I did a similar project a few years back on a 1978 Chevrolet K-20 4WD I purchased new that did not have factory A/C. I purchased another truck, a 1982 for parts that had factory A/C. Like you, I made a template to make additional cuts on the firewall. In addition, after taking measurements and checking my marks more than a half dozen times, I made the cuts. After that I used some scrap factory sheet metal and super imposed another piece over the part of the hole that made it look non-factory. I did not spot weld using a welder. Instead, I spent less than $10.00 at a local parts store for some liquid steel...two tubes that are mixed together. I was really suprised how well that stuff actually work. It made a very strong liquid weld that hardened up extremely nice, yet was as smoooth as a baby's behind. Currently, I would like to build a 69 or 72 K-5 Blazer 4WD along with a 69 or 72 K-20 pickup 4WD. Would prefer to get the vehicles with factory A/C. However, if I find a clean unit in the color(s) I'm looking for without factory A/C, I can certainly convert it over and will choose to use all factory parts except for some of the items mentioned by Critter. LMC truck has a better than original compressor. I've taken a rough inventory of buying all the factory A/C parts, and I think it will run $1200 to $1500...but well worth it cause like Critter said, it works so much better.
Two45s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #38
jason7698

I have a 71 factory air truck but my compressor is shot would I be better off buying a new comp. or is there an upgrade or something better?
jason7698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #39
Two45s

Jason,

Read the posts by Critter and jeffro788 near the bottom of page one. Critter made mention of Carlisle Air in San Antonio and it sounds like they really know all about auto A/C. I might give them a call myself someday. jeffro788 mentioned converting his belt system to serpentine. About all I know is, LMC truck ( lmctruck.com ) has an upgraded newer version that replaces the original compressor. I am not sure if it requires new brackets and or if so, the brackets come with that compressor. Check out their website...you can page through their catalog online and or order a free copy of a paper catalog.

Last edited by Two45s; 03-19-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: got the wrong page number in the first sentence
Old 03-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #40
Two45s

Last edited by Two45s; 03-19-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: please remove post, no longer necessary
Old 03-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #41
48richard

Two45s - your $1200 - 1500 sounds about right. Not much different from what you would pay for an aftermarket kit, but IMO it comes down to whether you want factory appearance and features (like fresh air intake), or want to take the simpler approach.
Somehow i never seem to end up taking the easy way!

Richard
Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #42
jjzepplin

Jeffro, I also have a serp system from a 1992 engine and plan to run the 92 compressor. I am going to use the original evaporator and box. How is yours doing and what mods did you do? I am limited on funds and have all these parts laying round. Should I change the condenser? I have dual electric fans. Will this be enough? I know this is an old thread but cold air can never die!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:26 AM   #43
SCHRUMGMC

I know this is old, but I need help on installing A/C in my 71
Old 09-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #44
mmccracken

I can't be of much help with knowledge but if you need parts, I'm looking to sell our stock A/C. We bought a 71 Jimmy with no roof so we figured what the heck do we need the A/c for so we pulled it out thinking we could help someone who wanted an original A/C. The mechanic set it worked when he pulled it and there is still freon in it. contact me if interested through the site.
mmccracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #45
indianbullet

Tag for reference..
Old 11-30-2015, 09:02 AM   #46
Geoff Smith

Does any one have the AC pages out of the 67 - 72 assembly manual and the AC / heater section of the service manual they could send me?

I have everything in the cab and the suitcase on the firewall , but nothing forward of there. I want it all stock and need to see how it all goes.

I also want to work out a few problems with the rest of the in cab side of it also once its all back together.

Thanks in advance guys.
Geoff Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #47
McToy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48richard View Post
For coop34,

Aaron,

Here are some pics of the air recirculation valves as I installed them. All the hole locations for the brackets, etc. were marked on my truck with dimples in the metal, so easy enough to do it right.
Hope this helps,

Richard
Hi all, I know this thread is very old but thanks to 48richard's pics I finally figured out the ac air shut-off recirculation-valve situation!!! My 72 GMC truck is stock AC but the PO stripped the truck pretty badly including all AC components and the valve... hence I'm now looking for the recirculation valve and flap... LMC has the actuator and valve-flap but I can't seem to source the bracket and the white oval plastic mount with the L-shaped metal arm that connects the flap to the actuator :-( Before I start fabricating if anyone has any tips where to get those - new or used - that'd be great.

Tx,
Ralph
McToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #48
48richard

I have a mounting bracket, and the L-shaped arm that goes on the valve. If you send me your address I will mail them to you.

Richard
Old 12-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #49
McToy

Hi Richard,

sent you a PM....

TX!
Ralph
McToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #50
48richard

The mounting bracket and actuator arm were shipped this morning by USPS.

Richard