The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
km16

2006 Silverado Blower Motor Resistor Problems

I have a 2006 Silverado with manual ac. The blower motor resistor keeps melting the wire plug to the resistor. I have put two new pig tails and resistors and one blower motor and is has fried the plug once again. Is there anything else that is could be causing this? Any advise is appreciated.
km16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
truckdude239

Re: 2006 Silverado Blower Motor Resistor Problems

gm sells a new resistor harness to elmiate that problem

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
km16

Thanks for the response. The problem must be in the wiring connector somewhere? Because the replacement harness is just a connector and pigtale. I have put to new/used connector and pigtales in it that I have taken off of salvaged pickups and they also burnt up. I would think the problem would be farther back in the harness?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
clinebarger

Take it to the dealer....There is a TSB for this......

SPECIAL COVERAGE

Bulletin No.: 11046

Date: April 07, 2011

Subject: 11046 - Special Coverage Adjustment - Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Blower Not Fully Functional on All Blower Speeds, Inoperative, or Runs Continuously with the Ignition Off

Models:
2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2003-2007 GMC Sierra
Equipped with Manual HVAC (CJ3) or Heavy Duty Heater (C42)

Due to part availability, owner letters will be released in phases starting with older model year first. Owners for model year vehicles not included in first phase owner mailing will receive an owner advisory letter.

The letter will inform the customer that parts are not yet available and that another letter will be sent to them when parts become available. A copy of this letter will be attached to the dealer message announcing this bulletin.

In the meantime, if a customer brings their vehicle to the dealership with the condition described in this bulletin, repair the vehicle using the parts called out in this bulletin.

Condition

On some 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; and 2003-2007 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles equipped with a manual heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system (CJ3) or heavy duty heater (C42), the interface between the electrical terminals of the relay resistor module and the wiring connector that powers the module may be incapable of conducting higher current levels for sustained periods of blower motor operation. In addition, moisture and other contaminants may enter the fresh air intake plenum and contact the internal circuit of the module or corrode the terminals. Either of the above may cause the relay resistor module or wiring connector to overheat, resulting in one or more of the following symptoms:

- The HVAC blower may not function on certain or all blower speed settings
- A burning plastic smell or smoke may be present in the vehicle
- The HVAC blower may run continually with the ignition in the OFF position

In very rare events, if the above symptoms are ignored, a fire could occur.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 240,000 km, whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to install a new blower motor resistor and resistor module connector. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after April 8, 2011 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to April 8, 2011 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; and 2003-2007 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles equipped with a manual HVAC (CJ3) or heavy duty heater (C42).

Important
Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Applicable Warranties section in the Global Warranty Management system.

Parts Information

Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCC&A).

Service Procedure

Note
The resistor module connector and blower motor resistor will need to be replaced if one or more of the symptoms below is present.- The HVAC blower may not function on certain or all blower speed settings
- A burning plastic smell or smoke may be present in the vehicle
- The HVAC blower may run continually with the ignition in the OFF position

Determine if one or more of the above symptoms is present. If required refer to HVAC diagnostic information in SI. Refer to Resistor Module Connector and Blower Motor Resistor Replacement in this bulletin if one or more of the symptoms is present. Other HVAC repairs are NOT covered in this product safety special coverage bulletin.

Resistor Module Connector and Blower Motor Resistor Replacement 1. Remove the blower fuses (Htr A/C & HVAC 1 fuses).
2. Lower the close-out panel enough to gain access to the resistor module connector.
3. Disconnect the connector from the resistor module.

Note
Connector replacement is required even if the connector was replaced on a previous service repair.

4. Remove the tape from the wiring harness to expose the wiring.

5. Cut the wires back far enough from the connector to eliminate any melted insulation on the wire.

Note
Use the old connector as a map for splicing the wires for the new connector. Be sure to use the correct crimping tool from the terminal repair kit J 38125. Use only Duraseal splice sleeves. Other splice sleeves may not protect the splice from moisture or provide a good electrical connection.

6. Install the new connector. Use the yellow splice sleeves provided with the connector.
7. Install the new blower motor resistor.
8. Reinstall the fuses. Test the blower motor to make sure all speeds are functional.
9. Reinstall the hush panel/close-out panel.

Customer Reimbursement

Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to correct the condition described in this bulletin are to be submitted to the dealer prior to or by December 31, 2012. Repairs must have occurred within the 10 years of the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 240,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first.

When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:

- Proof of ownership at time of repair.

- Original paid receipt confirming the amount of unreimbursed repair expense(s) (including Service Contract deductibles), a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.

If the work was done by someone other than a GM dealership, the amount of reimbursement will be limited to the amount that the repair would have cost GM to have it completed by a GM dealership.

Courtesy Transportation

The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
onebad65c10
Gm for life.

I have an 05 Silverado Ecsb Z71. Similar blower motor problem. My fan constantly runs even after switching off the controls. I replaced the control panel since all the bulbs were burnt out when I purchased the truck in 2010. Would this be covered under this advisory?
Toys:
D/D: 2017 Silverado LTZ2 crewcab

1969 Pontiac GTO Yes it is a real goat waiting its turn to be the car it was.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...59&ref=profile
onebad65c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebad65c10 View Post
I have an 05 Silverado Ecsb Z71. Similar blower motor problem. My fan constantly runs even after switching off the controls. I replaced the control panel since all the bulbs were burnt out when I purchased the truck in 2010. Would this be covered under this advisory?
Yes, As long as its got manual A/C & doesnt have over 250000 Km on it. I have no idea why there using KM. My 04 is not covered because I have Auto A/C.

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 240,000 km, whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Models:
2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2003-2007 GMC Sierra
Equipped with Manual HVAC (CJ3) or Heavy Duty Heater
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
km16

Took it to the dealer yesterday and they spliced a new pigtale and put a new resistor and it seems to work for now.