The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Bruticus

87 Suburban

Greetings from Waco, Tx,

I just FINALLY got around to it and joined the forum yesterday - after leaving the motorcycle and 73-87 Chevy Truck communities...

This forum has TONS more info than I have found - and I really like it here!

Just wanted to post up a few pics of my new p(ride)..

1987 R10 'Burb

I had traded a custom Yamaha bobber that I built for a 1982 GMC Sierra SWB that wasn't in as good of condition as I had thought when I got it, and was going to be a money pit...I went by my good friend's tattoo shop (who happened to want a truck like mine) one night about a month ago to go BS with him, and saw that he had bought a big red 80's suburban..

We got to talkin' - and the next day, he was over at my house and threw me the keys to it - titles swapped - and we both walked away with a good deal!

I honestly felt bad about the trade, seeing as how the suburban was in WAAAY better condition that mine was - it had either been meticulously rebuilt or kept away from all elements...I can't figure which one out! It is NICE!

I was a little tipsy the night we talked about trading - but I think he told me that the guy rebuilding it died in the middle of it (old man) and it had changed hands a few times within a year or so...

It has a 350 5.7 TBI - everything under the hood looks new, I just haven't gotten pics of it yet...I think the motor has been rebuilt and has less than 1500 miles on it (73000 original miles)...suspension looks new...interior is incomplete, but what is there is immaculate...needs new carpet...I snagged a dash/instrument bezel, glove box and some other things at the junkyard - it will totally make a solid foundation for a restore...prolly going to put a little sound system in it too...

The ONLY thing that I can find wrong with this thing, is the TPS is either going or it's gone...I'm not very mechanically inclined....

To be honest, I've never wanted a suburban - My folks had an '85 when my brother and I were little bitty, and I've just never thought about it - but now I'm married and all grown up and couldn't resist the deal! It has been one of the best decisions I've made...okay...maybe not fuel economy wise! (BTW, what do these trucks usually get - my TPS is farting out on me, and I can't get a good idea of MPG...?!?)

I'm stuck in between keeping it all stock OR lowering it, and doing some cool stuff to it - maybe you guys have some ideas you could throw my way - I've never been the type of person who mods vehicles!

I look forward to getting to know all of you guys and learning a pant-load from all of y'all!

Thanks,
Ben
Attached Images

Bruticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
cochino12
It followed me home?

Re: 87 Suburban

Welcome to the board! Nice burb, I say lower it.

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I agree. Lower it, a lot. The TPS is pretty easy to replace. 3 screws, and a little adjustment. Good looking truck!
Old 06-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Bruticus

I actually went under and replaced the TPS with a new one...but there was no way to adjust it (that I could find) - maybe O'Reillys sold me a dud?!

After I replaced it with a new one, it wouldn't fire up...so, I cleaned the old one and put it back on....

I'm not quite sure what the deal is with it...
Old 06-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Bruticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochino12 View Post
Welcome to the board! Nice burb, I say lower it.
As far as lowering it - what is the best/most economical way to lower it - the lowest without me having to get under there and cut/weld stuff (and possible make this thing not cool anymore)

I don't want to go terribly low (sitting on the ground)...or low to the point that I would get it stuck over railroad tracks or something like that?!?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #6
Vic's 1987

Nice truck! I had my '87 for three years, now I got the itch! I want to bag it after I told myself I would just lower it. have fun with it!
Vic's 1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus View Post
As far as lowering it - what is the best/most economical way to lower it - the lowest without me having to get under there and cut/weld stuff (and possible make this thing not cool anymore)

I don't want to go terribly low (sitting on the ground)...or low to the point that I would get it stuck over railroad tracks or something like that?!?
Id call summit racing and order some 2.5" spindles (if u keep the ralley wheels) and just cut the stock coils until you are happy with how it sits. Flip kit would be cheapest in back but it going to get the rear pretty low, burbs and blazers seem to get lower with a flip than trucks so you may be better off with shackles/hangers and maybe removing a leaf. Clear as mud?
Posted via Mobile Device

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
Bruticus

Ya know - in all the years that I've been able to find what parts I need - I have NEVER gone to Summit - I didn't think they'd have anything that I'd need or want...(because of the Racing part...I don't race)

I just thought they strictly catered to racing/performance parts!!

Good call - they have TONS of stuff!

Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Nice score!

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #10
Cherub

Looks real clean.

The djm flip kit will lower the back 5" you can get it for less than 100 bucks. I picked mine up from ebay. You wont need a notch unless you plan on towing. Like the gentlman stated above 2.5" spindles can be used with 15" rims. You can cut up to 2 coils out of your stock springs with no ill effect with each coil giving you atleast 2" of drop. But remember that these springs are indexed and have a pre determined slot to fit in.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote