The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #1
Damien8086

LMC Pre-Bent Fuel Lines Question

Hi,

I had ordered some replacement fuel lines and a sender unit from LMC to replace what appears to be the original lines in my 1970 long bed truck.

I have the fuel tank in the cab still. The sender unit that I received from LMC appears to be the same as the one in the truck now (with a nut at the connection point), but the fuel line that runs to the fuel tank that I have in there now has a flare nut at the end of it for connecting it with the sending unit, but the one I received in the mail does not have a flare nut at the end.

I watched the LMC fuel line video here (LMC - Fuel Line Install Video) and it appears that the fuel lines in the video are the same as the ones I received, but the sending unit he is using doesn't have a nut at the end of it. Is he using the "quick connect" sending unit? He runs a short length of rubber hose between the in-cab fuel line and the sending unit.

I am just trying to figure out if I ordered the wrong fuel lines or if I can make them work by ordering the quick-connect sending unit and sending the one with the nut at the end of it back.

The other thing is all of the fuel lines listed in their catalog say 71-72 and mine is a 70 so maybe these just don't work for the 70. I figured since they didn't have any listed for 70 that it would work, but maybe not.

LMC Catalog - Fuel Lines
LMC Catalog - Fuel Sending Units

Here is a picture of the quick-connect sending unit - maybe I just need this? It does not have the nut at the end of it.
Attached Images

Damien8086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: LMC Pre-Bent Fuel Lines Question

Here is the unit I ordered from Auto parts geek and it has the fitting on the connection tube. I just got some 3/8ths inch brake line and made my own lines to the fuel pump. I found out that the stock lines and the sender tube come in two sizes. 5/16ths inch for six cylinder engines and 3/8ths inch for the v-8s My old sender was 5/16ths inch but it ran the v-8 just fine.

The fitting is brazed on the tube but the idea is to have an air tight connection on the tube, so a short piece of gas line rubber tubing and two clamps should work fine for you.

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/19...t#immersedview

I am very happy with the sender and the price was very good.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

The 71-72 is different from the earlier ones. The later ones had a vent tube going out of the sender. The earlier trucks vented at the gas cap.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
ncpetersc

I thought the second tube from the sender was a return line. If I decide to replace lines due to potential rust, do I not need to replace the second one if it is only for vent?
ncpetersc is offline   Reply With Quote