The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #1
5Tractorguy

350 has bad misfire/shudder over 2000RPM

Just put my '79 C30 service truck on the road recently. After a long 6 months of building it in the driveway, I was pretty darn excited to start working with it... until I discovered a really bad misfire/shudder over 2000RPM when under load. Which brings me here!

Everything has been serviced/gone through on the engine... plug wires, plugs, cap, rotor, distributor all rebuilt with new parts, carburetor rebuilt, vacuum lines all replaced, PCV valve replaced, etc.

-Has a Rochester Quadrajet carb
-Timing is currently set at 10deg (with dist vacuum like unplugged)
-AC R45TS plugs gapped at .045
-Dist power wire is good and getting full current from the fuse block
-Truck grounds are good and I added extra cables frame to engine
-While running, touched each plug boot with a screwdriver going to ground and nothing arced
-Previous owner installed an RV cam (whether it makes a difference...)

Took it on a service call this AM and had to turn back. At highway cursing speed (55-60) it was awful. Goosing it will cause the misfire will go away briefly, then come back once you let off. Climbing a big hill, mat the pedal and it goes away for about 20-30sec, then gets really really bad... stumbling all over, won't catch up with itself. The fuel pump did come to mind, but even if the truck is sitting there at an idle and you take off hard, it will still stumble once over 2000rpm or so. Any rpm under that and it's fine.

Any thoughts? Have some work scheduled in the next week+/- so would like to remedy this soon.

Name:  IMG_4752 - Version 2.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  62.1 KB Name:  IMG_4837.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  71.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4838.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  76.1 KB

5Tractorguy on Youtube
5Tractorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:34 PM   #2
Bandit130

Re: 350 has bad misfire/shudder over 2000RPM

I would think more about fuel pump, fuel filter in carb. Just spitballing here could be something else. Just a thought.

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:32 PM   #3
geezer#99

I’m thinking the ‘dreaded flat cam’.
Have you checked all the rockers move the same?
Was this a used motor?
Or a rebuilt.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:31 AM   #4
Matt Man

Is the vacuum advance working? should be about 34-36 degrees around 3,000 rpm.
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:54 AM   #5
Dead Parrot

Possible vacuum leak around intake gasket or carb base gasket. Do the spray with carb cleaner test.

Does it still have the exhaust riser valve? Those can stick shut and force half the exhaust through the intake crossover which kills higher rpm performance and can overheat the carb.

Does it still has the original Y pipe? Some of those had double walls and the inner wall would collapse, mostly blocking the exhaust, Also killing performance.

Check the rubber lines from the tank(s) to the frame. If those are original, they are probably crumbling away and letting air into the fuel system. Same for rubber lines from dual tank valve to frame if equipped. Even if hoses recently replaced, mice sometimes like to sample taste the hoses, also letting air in.

Nice looking service truck.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
geezer#99

Thinking more on it, might not be cam.
Could be fuel pressure problem.
Too much pressure in your case.
Who rebuilt the carb?
Old 09-13-2020, 01:08 PM   #7
5Tractorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit130 View Post
I would think more about fuel pump, fuel filter in carb. Just spitballing here could be something else. Just a thought.
I did start considering the fuel pump thinking of it more.... Going to pull the line and see if it's got a good stream when cranking (I don't have a gauge to put on it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Man View Post
Is the vacuum advance working? should be about 34-36 degrees around 3,000 rpm.
Yep. When I rev the engine the timing mark moves right up to the 30deg/+ area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Possible vacuum leak around intake gasket or carb base gasket. Do the spray with carb cleaner test.

Does it still have the exhaust riser valve? Those can stick shut and force half the exhaust through the intake crossover which kills higher rpm performance and can overheat the carb.

Does it still has the original Y pipe? Some of those had double walls and the inner wall would collapse, mostly blocking the exhaust, Also killing performance.

Check the rubber lines from the tank(s) to the frame. If those are original, they are probably crumbling away and letting air into the fuel system. Same for rubber lines from dual tank valve to frame if equipped. Even if hoses recently replaced, mice sometimes like to sample taste the hoses, also letting air in.

Nice looking service truck.
Thanks Parrot. Good idea, I'll check the intake for vacuum leaks. The passenger side around the intake manifold does look a bit iffy, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's sucking air. If it means anything, this can be hard to start too when hot. Sometimes cranking for a bit and when it catches, it won't idle well... or catch then die again... have to keep the throttle cracked... I suppose that could signify a vacuum leak?

Riser valve is still there, though I think the PO cut the butterfly out because you can almost make a full turn with the bell-crank.

Y-pipe is gone. Currently has dual straight pipes with glass packs, no crossover pipe.

Gas tank lines have all been re-done too (and filter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Thinking more on it, might not be cam.
Could be fuel pressure problem.
Too much pressure in your case.
Who rebuilt the carb?
It's only happened twice, but when starting this, the float has stuck. Couple taps to the side of the carb and it stopped. Not sure if the float hung, or if the pump was pushing fuel past.

I rebuilt it. Very familiar with carburetors, but this was my first time rebuilding a Q-jet, so wouldn't be surprised if something didn't turn out right...

Going to check for vacuum leaks and fuel pump functionality today...

5Tractorguy on Youtube
Old 09-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #8
geezer#99

If the clip on the needle is on wrong or not used it can cause flooding like that.

Info in here on that.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...4MV_carburetor
Old 09-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #9
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Vacuum advance is working but does mechanical advance move freely? When your foot is into it, no vacuum will be there to advance so it will be relying on the weights. Because you say it is only over 2K RPM under load, this makes me think it is not advancing. But check your fuel system first like everyone else stated.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:26 PM   #10
5Tractorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
If the clip on the needle is on wrong or not used it can cause flooding like that.

Info in here on that.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...4MV_carburetor
Thanks Geezer! There's a ton of good info on that page...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Vacuum advance is working but does mechanical advance move freely? When your foot is into it, no vacuum will be there to advance so it will be relying on the weights. Because you say it is only over 2K RPM under load, this makes me think it is not advancing. But check your fuel system first like everyone else stated.
The mechanical does move well, though I should check it again. The guts were swapped in from another 350 distributor because the original weights and shaft were very badly worn (see pic). Assembled nice with the good used parts and moved as it should. Worth another look though just to be sure.

-So, fuel pump is good.
-Turns out the carburetor wasn't bolted down tightly, never re-checked after I installed and ran it.
-No vacuum leaks around the manifold or carb base (after tightened)
-Set the carb idle screws by the book with a tach and it sounds much smoother at idle and starts better

After that, it still misfired when shifting up, even going down hill. So I pulled a plug wire and hooked up one of those inline spark testers. When running it jumped the 3/16 gap, but the spark was orange at best. Leaning towards weak spark now... Never replaced the coil when I rebuilt the distributor, did everything but... dang! Going to pick one up tomorrow.

Name:  IMG_3617.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  37.4 KB Name:  IMG_3621.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  30.0 KB

5Tractorguy on Youtube
Old 09-13-2020, 05:36 PM   #11
Nick_R_23

Difficult to start when hot is also a symptom of tight valves. If you still have the older style heads without hardened seats, you may have valves receding into the heads.

Also, to somewhat mirror one of the suggestions above, aside from checking for flat cam lobes, also check the lobe that drives the fuel pump for wear.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:15 PM   #12
Dead Parrot

Might double check that the plug wires are in proper firing order. Some swapped pairs run surprisingly well at idle and near idle speeds.

Check that all the screws on the carb top are tightened. There are many and it is easy to skip one. Especially the pair inside under the choke flap.

Run it for a bit and check plugs for color. Might be able to find the problem cylinder(s).
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:21 PM   #13
mr48chev

The 454 in my Dually is doing pretty much the same thing and I need to get it sorted out. It started on the way back from the dump one day and spits back when I accelerate.

Carb bolts coming loose isn't something you usually think about though. I figured the cam went flat on it.

The smoke from the fires is so bad here that I haven't been wanting to stay outside long enough to fool with it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:44 AM   #14
truckin 79

Pour some Carb/fuel injector Cleaner down vent tube in carb. You could have some carbon or debris in carb bowl. I did this and idle smoothed out nicely
Old 09-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #15
5Tractorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
The 454 in my Dually is doing pretty much the same thing and I need to get it sorted out. It started on the way back from the dump one day and spits back when I accelerate.
The smoke from the fires is so bad here that I haven't been wanting to stay outside long enough to fool with it.
Hopefully that mess comes to an end sooner than later over by you guys. Aside from the devastation of homes being wiped out... seen a lot of pictures of burned up old trucks too.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. Luckily it was just a bad ignition coil. Replaced it this AM and that 350'll wrap up tight now with no misfire. Glad it wasn't cam or valves related, time's been too short lately for major engine work!

5Tractorguy on Youtube
Old 09-15-2020, 11:49 AM   #16
blazer2007

How did you figure out it was the coil. I would never of thought of looking there and how would the coil do that. I thought coils worked or didn,t
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:26 PM   #17
5Tractorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
How did you figure out it was the coil. I would never of thought of looking there and how would the coil do that. I thought coils worked or didn,t
Dad said "put the spark tester on it and see what happens"... turns out it was orange rather than blue or white.

It does make sense, I run into that with Kohler engines and Gravelys. The old Kohler K series will idle fine on a weak spark, but try to put a load on or rev up and it falls on its face. Gravely's with Wico magnetos will start and run fine, throttle up okay, but one sudden load and it immediately stops firing and dies. Some will run but have choppy intermittent fire (like the 350 at high RPM's).

5Tractorguy on Youtube
Old 09-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #18
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Glad you got it solved. Great work!
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote