The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2008, 06:33 AM   #1
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

cracked welds on frame

I was going to put this in S10 forum but feel it is better here.
a customer brought in his newly purchased 95 S10 4x4 for ball joints and anything else it may need. its a real nice ext. cab truck and he paid a fair price for it. while doing the lower B joints I noticed the drivers side torsion bar had the adjuster cranked all the way in while the pass. side had 13/16 of threads left. I also saw that when on the 2 post hoist that the drivers side wheel had almost no camber while the pass side had almost 6*. very interesting, hmmmm. I saw the drivers side upper arm had the front adjuster up and the rear was down. I figured the alignment shop could get it back straight agin and all would be fine. I finished the B joint job and took a test drive. then I noticed a snapping noise while turning left over a dip. while jerking the wheel back and forth @ 10 MPH the sound was worse. back in the shop to replace the suspect T bar thinking it was cracked and ready to snap in 2. after that reapir was complete it did the same thing. the noise sounded like it was coming from the LF area. back in the shop but on the drive-on this time. I had the boss sit in the box and rock it back and forth while I looked all around. it made no sound so I gave it a good look over in the LF paying close attention to the lower A arm. then I saw it. where the rear of that arm attaches to the frame there is a large bracket. the welds on that bracket to frame point are completely broken. all the way around and the bracket has been wearing its way up into the frame about 3/16". the whole front chassis is going to need disassembly including the differential removed in order to weld it up. we ended up showing it to the customer and recommended he take it to a frame shop.

my question is should he/could he go after GM for reimbursement? ahs anyone else seen this before? I looked on IATN and found only 1 case of the same thing with no fix listed. the truck shows no sign of abuse or collision damage.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote