The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #226
MotorHead Lon

Re: It ain't over till it's over.

The smoothed bumper and phantom grill looks great. When I smoothed the bumper on my 90 I just sanded the chrome with a 60 grit flap wheel, and used etching primer, so far the paint has stayed on.

98 Crew Cab Dually, tow rig.

03 Dodge Neon. ECTA Ohio Mile record holder.
MotorHead Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #227
nbpro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead Lon View Post
The smoothed bumper and phantom grill looks great. When I smoothed the bumper on my 90 I just sanded the chrome with a 60 grit flap wheel, and used etching primer, so far the paint has stayed on.
Yeah we went kinda old school on the bumper. we had a cousin growing up that was a little older than me that ran a refinishing bumper shop. so we did it the way we knew how. either way prolly wouldve worked. we were out your way this weekend taking the truck out to where we're gonna paint it at. gotta do some clean up on the garage before we can paint. but here's some pics of the trip.
Name:  HPIM0593.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  37.3 KB

Name:  HPIM0596.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  HPIM0597.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  HPIM0599.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  HPIM0600.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  38.4 KB
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #228
nbpro
Account Suspended

more
Name:  HPIM0601.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  32.0 KB

Name:  HPIM0602.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  33.5 KB

Name:  HPIM0603.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  35.3 KB

Name:  HPIM0604.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  41.3 KB

Name:  HPIM0605.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  28.9 KB
Old 11-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #229
nbpro
Account Suspended

and more
Name:  HPIM0607.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  30.9 KB

Name:  HPIM0608.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  29.5 KB

Name:  HPIM0609.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  HPIM0610.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  28.8 KB

Name:  HPIM0611.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  45.4 KB
Old 11-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #230
nbpro
Account Suspended

and more
Name:  HPIM0612.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  HPIM0613.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  37.2 KB
the below pics are Alabama A&M University
Name:  HPIM0615.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  HPIM0616.jpg
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  HPIM0617.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  45.9 KB
Old 11-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #231
nbpro
Account Suspended

and more
Name:  HPIM0618.jpg
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  HPIM0620.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  28.9 KB

Name:  HPIM0622.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  HPIM0623.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  HPIM0624.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  77.2 KB
Old 11-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #232
nbpro
Account Suspended

our base coat is taking longer than i expected to get here, which is probably a good thing. got a friend going to come out and help us get the garage cleaned out, which will be a great help on me and the nephew.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #233
muthstryker

Ive read your thread a few times now and have never taken the time to come in and say anything, Just wanted to say that what you've guys have done with such little space is really amazing. I ***** that I cant fully walk around in my garage and here you have done most of the work out side in the back yard and in the front parking lot. I have alot of respect for you. Looks great, keep it up cant wait to see the truck painted.

Matt
muthstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #234
nbpro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthstryker View Post
Ive read your thread a few times now and have never taken the time to come in and say anything, Just wanted to say that what you've guys have done with such little space is really amazing. I ***** that I cant fully walk around in my garage and here you have done most of the work out side in the back yard and in the front parking lot. I have alot of respect for you. Looks great, keep it up cant wait to see the truck painted.

Matt
thanks Matt. the whole project was meant and done for a reason. it's brought us all closer together, if not for nothing but lack of space
yeah, we can't wait till it's painted either. trying to get my cousing to join up with his s10. back in the 80's, he had an iroc s10 that was friggin awesome. had a pool table in the back, 26 speakers total that were put in by one of the best audio sound shops around here for free. they used it for 3 months for promotional tours, and paid him to boot. trying to get him to get some pics up so i can post them. he'll be helping us on the paintwork. once again, thanks matt. that's a nice looking truck in your avatar.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:37 AM   #235
muthstryker

That s10 would be cool to see! I love the older s10s. I check your thread all the time for updates..Once again cant wait!

Ya my truck.. Haha already sold the wheels off of it wanted bigger ones, plus seemed like every one started getting the same wheels (Eagle Alloy 225s) and I wanted to be different. I wish I could weld and make my own stuff like you guys did, would feel better about it. But im such a perfectionist I dont think I would ever feel satisfied with my own work. One of these days I will pick up a welder and learn, I still have alot of time to do so! (Im 21.)
Old 11-09-2010, 10:30 PM   #236
nbpro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthstryker View Post
That s10 would be cool to see! I love the older s10s. I check your thread all the time for updates..Once again cant wait!

Ya my truck.. Haha already sold the wheels off of it wanted bigger ones, plus seemed like every one started getting the same wheels (Eagle Alloy 225s) and I wanted to be different. I wish I could weld and make my own stuff like you guys did, would feel better about it. But im such a perfectionist I dont think I would ever feel satisfied with my own work. One of these days I will pick up a welder and learn, I still have alot of time to do so! (Im 21.)
yeah as soon as i can ill get some pics up of the s10 yeah we cant wait till we get the process rolling with the paint dealing with fedex right now they telling us no one was home today is the reason it wasnt delivered yeah 21 is how old my nephew is and he can tell you that hes learned more over the last 2 years about vehicles than i care to mention hes done great at everything hes attempted, just hardheaded sometimes. and he want to get things done the fast way instead of my way and we all know that's the best way
Old 11-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #237
muthstryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbpro View Post
yeah as soon as i can ill get some pics up of the s10 yeah we cant wait till we get the process rolling with the paint dealing with fedex right now they telling us no one was home today is the reason it wasnt delivered yeah 21 is how old my nephew is and he can tell you that hes learned more over the last 2 years about vehicles than i care to mention hes done great at everything hes attempted, just hardheaded sometimes. and he want to get things done the fast way instead of my way and we all know that's the best way
Hahaha, Ive learned that the fast way isnt all ways the right way. Pays in the end to take your time!
Old 11-10-2010, 01:25 AM   #238
nbpro
Account Suspended

for him its my way that Pays in the end
Old 11-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #239
nbpro
Account Suspended

paint finally made it this morning. so hopefully with a little work this weekend we'll have some paint on it next weekend or maybe even this weekend. who knows. this is the basecoat. it's bright silver metallic. going over that with a acrylic enamel clear with brandywine candy Pearl powder added black on the bottom half. wish me luck
Name:  HPIM0626.JPG
Views: 977
Size:  65.0 KB

Last edited by nbpro; 11-11-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #240
benoit454
Chris

I hope that aint the gun you're gonna spray it with LOL.

I thought AE was single stage? I always use AE and it's always single stage.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #241
nbpro
Account Suspended

lol, i forgot that was there. we got people that like to knock on doors late at night around here. you answer the door with that in your waist belt, usuall they tell you it's the wrong place. go figure.
correct on the single stage. doesnt mean i can't use clear over it to get the desired color effect, does it not?

Last edited by nbpro; 11-10-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:49 PM   #242
benoit454
Chris

honestly man I aint sure, been wondering it myself as I've got a fade job on my 88 and would like to use AE paint, but need a clear to go over it. I wasn't sure if the AE and having clear over it would work together or not. I was thinking I'd have to buy base coat and then do my fade and clear coat over it.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
Old 11-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #243
nbpro
Account Suspended

acrylic enamel is ultimately not as durable as polyurethane paint, it can be protected with a clear coat finish added on over the top. This finish adds a professional looking sheen and seals up the new paint job.

You can spray urethane clear over alkyd enamel or acrylic enamel but the requirement is you must activate the enamel and let set 4 hours or overnight for best results and then clear
Old 11-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #244
benoit454
Chris

I never had a problem with AE shine or lasting. I always let it dry a week or so then cut anf buff it.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
Old 11-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #245
nbpro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoit454 View Post
I never had a problem with AE shine or lasting. I always let it dry a week or so then cut anf buff it.
the clear over AE (silver metallic) is so i get the desired color effect brandywine candy powder added in the clear not for shine or lasting the 4 hours or overnight is so the Hardener can work and Reducer in the clear dont dissolve the top coat

Last edited by nbpro; 11-11-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #246
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

You can clear over anything. We used to spray completes with enamel and then clear it with urethane clear. Heck, we used to even get the color all down and then mix up some 1/2 color 1/2 clear and put a coat or two on, then one coat of all clear. Some of the best paint jobs I've ever seen come out with that sort of combo.

Using a urethane color and an enamel clear though, not 100% sure on that. Sorta like the phrase beer on top of whiskey, sorta risky; and whiskey on top of beer never fear. I probably would not start hammering enamel clear on top of still tacky urethane. I'm just not really well versed in that mixture to be honest. I'll have to go talk to my painter a little, I'm only 40, he's been painting as long as I've been alive.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #247
nbpro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
You can clear over anything. We used to spray completes with enamel and then clear it with urethane clear. Heck, we used to even get the color all down and then mix up some 1/2 color 1/2 clear and put a coat or two on, then one coat of all clear. Some of the best paint jobs I've ever seen come out with that sort of combo.

Using a urethane color and an enamel clear though, not 100% sure on that. Sorta like the phrase beer on top of whiskey, sorta risky; and whiskey on top of beer never fear. I probably would not start hammering enamel clear on top of still tacky urethane. I'm just not really well versed in that mixture to be honest. I'll have to go talk to my painter a little, I'm only 40, he's been painting as long as I've been alive.
thanks randy. but i'm not using urethane. its all acrylic enamel paint and clear. i've done this process a couple of times when i was younger.53 now . but i've said before i've been out of the field for a while, but still read and kept up with things a little. i think if the catalyst used is the same, i'll be ok. if not i'll paint it again.

Last edited by nbpro; 11-11-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #248
benoit454
Chris

yea any kind of metalics or candys I'd use clear over, esp. if you plan to cut and buff it. I made that mistake on my metalic silver camaro, no clear just AE and wet sanded then buffed it, it turned blotchy, tiger striped, or spotty whichever you like to call it.

I just wanna see some paint pics the color choice sounds nice. I can't wait to see the finished color.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
Old 11-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #249
nbpro
Account Suspended

hopefully within the next week or two we'll have something to look at. gonna try a test panel this weekend just to make sure. i'll take some pics of that.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #250
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Ahhh, ok. I must have misread or something, I thought I seen you say urethane single stage with an enamel clear. When I was talking to my painter, he sorta cringed and said "I'd never do it".
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote