The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2023, 03:20 PM   #26
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: Rebuilding / Installing Hinge Pillar to Fender Seal

Passenger side is basically installed, though I have two dodgy whole that my screw slips. Hopefully my brother has a idea to fix that.

Also, the two holes on the brace (that face through the door crack / 3rd photo), I am pretty sure those aren't screws that mount to the car but to help keep on the seal? I just don't see how those two holes could ever reach any metal. Or at least in my truck.
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 06:46 PM   #27
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
Job started! Great to see the holes existing. Now that I see how the seal lines up it all makes sense, more or less LOL

More to come once I have it mounted :-)
good to see you're making some progress.i figured once you had the fenders off,it would all make sense.i knew you'd get it handled.good deal.i've been cleaning in my shop now for a week or more now after putting everything to bed for winter and before i get back on the next project waiting for me and i came across my original fender shields and was going to throw them out but thought i'd put them back on the shelf,you never know??take care,all the best.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 07:52 PM   #28
chewychevy67

Nice job. I am considering using my original pieces. They are in good shape but the screw/bushing mounts in the ear pieces are ripped open and won't secure with a screw anymore. I wonder if missing those screws would make them flap around between the cab and fender?
chewychevy67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 12:22 PM   #29
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

So on the passenger side when we were putting on the fender the top two screws were hitting the inside of the fender. So we had to pull the screws and use pop-rivets.

On the driver's side I was ready for this but then I had three screws for the brace were there wasn't any bite left in the metal. So I uses pop-rivets here too.

Also the fender next to the rocker, the 9/16 screw (like the top two at the cowl cover area) doesn't have its nut anymore in the fender. So they used a screw with a nut on the outside.

So much for "easy", that's what I get for thinking that! But I am nearly ready to put the driver's fender back on and then everything else! YAY
Attached Images

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 11-22-2023 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-22-2023, 09:27 PM   #30
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Truck is all back together, does make a difference. Glad I got it done but mostly it annoyed me they were missing!

Thanks you guys for all your help!

Old 11-24-2023, 04:06 PM   #31
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Just got back to Austin, which is a nice 250 mile drive. After that long drive, I'd say the improvement in the cab is much better than I had thought on my short test drive. I find I can keep my radio lower and the cab environment is a bit more stable. The big different I noticed when I got on the Austin East side Toll going 80, which I'm tacking a bit over 35k, is like driving under 60.

Nice happy returns on this little project! Also, was nice that nothing came loose or fell off the frontend on the way home LOL!

Old 11-24-2023, 05:52 PM   #32
mr.mud1

Quote:
Just got back to Austin, which is a nice 250 mile drive. After that long drive, I'd say the improvement in the cab is much better than I had thought on my short test drive. I find I can keep my radio lower and the cab environment is a bit more stable. The big different I noticed when I got on the Austin East side Toll going 80, which I'm tacking a bit over 35k, is like driving under 60.

Nice happy returns on this little project! Also, was nice that nothing came loose or fell off the frontend on the way home LOL!
i love it when a plan comes together.i knew it work,great work.take care.
Old 11-25-2023, 09:53 AM   #33
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Thanks Greg and for your help & photos you send it. Other than some stripped out original holes for the seal, I didn't run into any problems figuring it out.

It is interesting on the foam seal, where you stable it to the bracket, also has those two screws. I suppose Chevy really wanted them to stay on the bracket.

Old 11-25-2023, 10:30 AM   #34
mr.mud1

Quote:
Thanks Greg and for your help & photos you send it. Other than some stripped out original holes for the seal, I didn't run into any problems figuring it out.

It is interesting on the foam seal, where you stable it to the bracket, also has those two screws. I suppose Chevy really wanted them to stay on the bracket.
hi Richard,you're more than welcome.if i helped in some small way,happy to help.that's the name of the game isn't it?i'm just glad it all worked out.take care.Greg