The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2016, 09:22 PM   #1476
Advanced Design

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Hey Dan, the pics of your old truck are sad...and he potential new one looks really good.

Yeah, if we lived closer I think we all would be stopping by to check out the new ride.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:57 PM   #1477
Kim57

New truck looks like a great replacement.
Kim
Old 10-06-2016, 01:40 AM   #1478
Nut Case

Danny Boy

The truck replacement that you're getting looks fandamtastic.

Good on ya!!!!

I'm on the razors edge, sane or not? That is the question!

So I error on the side that leaves little doubt.

Keep on keepin on

Nut Case

Old 10-06-2016, 09:39 AM   #1479
ptc

Dan - the new truck is a BEAUT!!!! --- I think you'll be much happier with that if you dont have a need for the brute truck anymore.

Hope to meet you sometime at the Brothers show or whenever, we are almost neighbors ... (as the crow flys!)
Old 10-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #1480
Dan in Pasadena

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Stopped by this morning just because I was gonna pass the shop on my way to Orange County running an errand.

Suspension
The rear end is totally mocked up including my old Torq Thrust knockoffs mounted on it. You can see the lowering blocks but the C notch hasn't been installed yet. Also, the rear shock mounts may get a little work to better align the shocks and make them a bit more vertical. I'll see it again tomorrow and will post.

Steering
The Flaming River column I got cheap off Craigslist a couple years ago because it was damaged in shipping is installed. I called Flaming River and they sent out a new signal head surround for free!
The factory floor mount hole has been welded shut and the new polished stainless mount, well....mounted!
I like it, I like the column drop too. The clutch arm hole will be weld shut too. In the engine compartment, the Borgeson universal joint is mount on column shaft but rest of it will be completed possibly tomorrow. Mike will make a small mount that will weld to the frame boxing plate for the static universal. The U joint at the rack hasn't come in yet.

Exhaust Manifolds

The truck exhaust manifolds won't work with the steering but Mike has a Z06 Corvette in his shop he's putting an LS7 (427) in so the engine gave up its exhaust manifolds for my truck. Cool, cause they're not costing me. We discussed to what degree we should grind off the weld reinforcement? I'm gonna do it with a little die grinder. If I make them smooth, I run the risk of removing too much and they'll crack with heat cycling eventually - they're two ply, by the way. We decided I'll just grind off where the factory machines left "blobs" and then have them Jet Hot coated. They'll flow plenty well as the Z06 made 405hp and my motor won't.

PS
The steering column IS welded but it's just a mock up bar. He's got a box of them he uses then custom orders the right length. The exhaust manifold DOESNT touch the suspension but it looks like it in the photo. The driver side bottom shock mount is on backward. He knows.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 10-06-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #1481
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Looking good Dan!!

Are you going to weld up the e-brake rod hole in the firewall?

FYI, I see you moved the rear frame cross-member to the back of the frame, by doing this you can use the tank for the 67-72 C-10s. CPP has a nice one that I'm thinking of using on my new frame.

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #1482
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
Looking good Dan!!

Are you going to weld up the e-brake rod hole in the firewall?
Yes, definitely. I'm trying for a totally clean firewall and inner fenders. So that will have to be done. Does anyone know where I can find a factory passenger side horn? I assume a driver side horn ISNT used on the passenger side with a different mount? And that it's a different tone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
FYI, I see you moved the rear frame cross-member to the back of the frame, by doing this you can use the tank for the 67-72 C-10s. CPP has a nice one that I'm thinking of using on my new frame.

Yes, I did that when I was still doing the work myself. I was tentatively planning to use The Truck Shop tank but concerned it'll hang too low. It's a 21 gallon. I've thought about the Tanks, Inc generic Mustang type too but at 16 gallons it may be too small. Thanks for the CPP clue. Hopefully it's "juuust right!"

Old 10-06-2016, 08:31 PM   #1483
BIGglaSS

Replacement truck looks great! Nothing looks better than black.... Though I keep saying I'll never buy another black one.

Your 55 is coming along nicely. An alternative exhaust manifold that tucks nicely is the 2010+ Camaro manifolds if you run across a set. Versus smoothing out the ones that you have.
BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:22 PM   #1484
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGglaSS View Post
Replacement truck looks great! Nothing looks better than black.... Though I keep saying I'll never buy another black one.

Your 55 is coming along nicely. An alternative exhaust manifold that tucks nicely is the 2010+ Camaro manifolds if you run across a set. Versus smoothing out the ones that you have.
Thanks! Yes, black looks great and I also swore I'd never have another. You can almost SEE the dust settling on it as you're drying off the rinse water!

Nope, not looking for other manifolds cause they'll cost me. These will be fine. Are the Camaro manifolds NOT 2 ply like the Corvettes? I can't imagine they're that much different. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Mike has a something-or-other factory high performance option late model Camaro and of course he's supercharged it. Runs like a blue-assed ape! I'll ask him about his manifolds.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:52 AM   #1485
Kim57

They're making good progress.
Looks good.
Kim
Old 10-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #1486
Dan in Pasadena

October. 7, 2016

The Z06 exhaust manifolds modified for V band clamps. Mike says they're bulletproof and won't ever leak. Once they're ground smoother and Jet Hot coated they'll look better. I think they look like poor man's headers but I'm fine with them.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #1487
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Wow, those fit nice! Can you remove the EGR tube??

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:06 PM   #1488
Dan in Pasadena

Yes, is coming off. He just didnt get around to it today.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:07 AM   #1489
Kim57

Fit real nice and don't look bad.
Kim
Old 10-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #1490
BIGglaSS

Manifolds look great. You're right, at this point, I'd use what you got.
BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:36 PM   #1491
Rude Dude

Everything is looking outstanding Dan, the fab guy really doing a good job. I really like the replacement truck too, looks like it can handle the camping needs just fine.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:09 PM   #1492
Daze57

dan

Glad you got a new truck --looks like a real nice one-- your project truck is comming along v v nice !!!! good lookin manifolds --- your paint and body shop seems to know what they are doin!.........lookin real good ----keep us posted
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #1493
59GMCApache

Awesome build
59GMCApache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:11 AM   #1494
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks everyone. Very generous comments.

The body man is the guy that referred me to Mike, the fabricator. His shop is "Schraeder's Speed & Style in Azusa. Highly recommended. He's a straight shooter and tells it like it is. He tells why he's good at and admits what he's not so good at and has employees that do those things well for him.

This week will be finalizing the steering linkage, installing gas tank, intake and that about wraps up everything g that will be done before it's all torn down and the frame send for blasting.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:45 PM   #1495
Dan in Pasadena

October 10, 2016

Stopped by the shop to pay the bill for last week. Mike was doing work other than my truck. But one of his guys was working on the other TF (1000 hp '57!) they have in the shop. It is being torn down for the final body work.

Mike was finalizing a Tanks, Inc. Install in another car and I took some shots of the workmanship. I REALLY liked what I saw of the tube bending, electrical terminations, etc.

I REALLY like the ceramic finish on the tank and it's making me order the larger capacity Mustang style from Tanks, Inc. Their price is about $300 less than one from CPP, which helps too!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 10-10-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:57 PM   #1496
Dan in Pasadena

Friday, October 14, 2016

Just an update for my personal log.

Very little (almost no) work done this week due to the other TF truck in his shop being torn down for body work. Only 7.5 hours on it installing master cylinder & hydroboost. The CPP bracket I provided him had to be modified some to clear the transmission he tells me. I havent seen it yet. Pic's tomorrow probably.

Also, he was waiting for one last Borgeson U joint to complete the steering connections; the one right at the rack. It'll be black because a polished one was on long term backorder and it wont be seen anyway - so he tells me. The rest of the column and other joint will be polished. I like shiny, what can I say?

Old 10-16-2016, 09:01 PM   #1497
Dan in Pasadena

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Ordered the larger capacity Mustang clone under bed gas tank today from Tanks, Inc. along with their in-tank fuel pump and 0-30ohm sending unit.

Also ordered an aluminum Moser girdled differential cover for my rearend from Summit. I don't truly need it; though it does make the rearend more reliable if I get a wild hair (I won't) but it looks cool, so I decide to go for it. I may have it polished, we'll see.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #1498
FAKKY

Subscribed.
Large chunk of this build looks very similar to what Im goign to be starting soom.
Good stuff. Going to be a long read
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #1499
Dan in Pasadena

October 21, 2016

No work was done on my truck this week (so no bill, Yippee!) but I did stop by the shop to drop off parts I ordered for it this week. A Moser girdled differential cover (sorry, no picture) and the Tanks, Inc. larger capacity Mustang generic tank with internal fuel pump and sender.

While there I took a couple shots of the cars he has in the shop right now.

Also, the '57 he has that (supposedly) has 1000hp had the body removed for paint so i took some shots of the twin turbo engine setup and suspension.

Here's the '57:

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 10-21-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:03 PM   #1500
Advanced Design

He has some cool projects in his shop. The 57 looks like a serious hp build. The rear C notch doesn't leave much frame wall for strength.

Dan, did you get that truck for your new DD?
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote