The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2023, 12:30 PM   #1
dhigdon@southerntank

Brake Line Fittings

What fittings should be used with stainless steel brake lines? Is brass acceptable? steel?
dhigdon@southerntank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 12:39 PM   #2
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Lightbulb Re: Brake Line Fittings

I bought an Inline Tube kit for my 1970. The instructions say to reuse the original brass junction blocks and fittings if they are serviceable. Most often they clean up with a wire brush.
1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 06:39 PM   #3
Sheepdip

Re: Brake Line Fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhigdon@southerntank View Post
What fittings should be used with stainless steel brake lines? Is brass acceptable? steel?
Just a FYI, you better have a top notch flaring tool as SS is a tough cookie to double fare.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 09:15 PM   #4
LS short box

Times two on the stainless lines are tough to flare and not leak. I have the Eastwood turret style flare tool and it works OK on SS.
If you haven't purchased SS brake line yet I would suggest Ni-copp brake line. It flares like butter. And easy to bend. I buy it in bulk at Oreilly's.
If go with SS and have trouble sealing they make little copper flare washers that go in the fittings and help seal to the SS flare.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 08:42 AM   #5
Joyridin

I use stainless fittings with stainless line. You can get the ss fittings pretty cheap. I think with brass fittings, you are not going to be able to tighten the line tight enough.

BTW...if you have not bought your line, I bought some off Amazon once and Summit another time. The Summit SS line was a breeze to flare and bend correctly, although I do have a turret style flaring tool. The line I bought from Amazon was an absolute nightmare. It was hard and I had to heat the line to get it to flare correctly. I have SS line on both my car and my truck. It is a PITA sometimes, but well worth it.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 01:00 PM   #6
dmjlambert

To help with the hardness and allow the connections to just be snug and not over tight, you can use copper flare gaskets. I had regular steel lines which is softer so I didn't have leaks. A friend bought stainless steel and he was frustrated by how badly every connection leaked, and I gave him the copper flare gasket idea and that solved it. I use them on the steel fuel line.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote