The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
BIGglaSS

Re: Where does a guy start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
Y
I am definitely open for suggestions and really do appreciate you taking the time to explain this to a not so young fella...lol
No problem! It will take me a while to address everything you said. When I get a chance, I'll take a look at the speakers you mentioned, but my first thought is gimmick...

First, set a budget with what you're willing to pay.

If you don't want to cut the dash:
1. Retrosound radios get a solid reputation, AND, I own one. (But haven't installed it yet).
2. Bluetooth interface + amps (but no FM radio options that I know of!)

Meanwhile, check out my Squarebody stereo from the thread in my signature. It is a very simple head unit, amp, speakers, and 8" subwoofer. Total investment $257. This won't fool an audiophile, but will impress many folks that spend 3x that amount.

For my '57 pickup, I spent $1000 total for Retrosound head unit, component speakers, 5 ch amp, 8" subwoofer, and digital signal processor. All name-brand quality stuff! Granted, I bought this a few years ago. In today's dollars at full retail would be north of $1500.

You don't have to spend a fortune to get great sound. Thoughtful design and seeking out great deals will save you a lot of $.

If you put speakers in the vents, you should close off the air vents. I am sealing the fresh air intake on my cowl, and running A/C. I installed quality co-axial component speakers into my fresh air vents. Not perfect, but an acceptable trade-off.

The speakers will be covered with these 63 impala vents: