The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #24
Mike_The_Grad

Re: Blown Head Gasket :(

I often get this question on the dexcool. It's because from I have learned is that the green stuff isnt compliant with aluminum engine components. Dexcool wont attack the aluminum. My dexcool stays nice and orange. I run the 50/50 premixed dexcool. When I bought a champion cooling radiator a couple of years ago. It came with a set of instructions. Amongst them was that I had to run dexcool, it specifically stated that if you use the green stuff itll attack from the inside out and void the lifetime warranty. So I did a little digging in the subject and sure enough from what I've learned it's true.

Yes, I run a 180° thermostat. Its brand new and it works.

I did wrap my temp sensor with teflon tape when I installed this manifold a few weeks ago. And I believe it did contribute to the funky temp gauge readings. But this past weekend I removed the temp sensor cleaned the tape off and applied permatex high temp thread sealant.
I was still getting a weird reading so I popped the cap lastnight at my buddy's with a step driveway and found the level to be low. So I topped it off with a little bit of dexcool. I've read that at least 15% antifreeze is desirable in street driven vehicles in areas where it dont get so cold at night during the winter months. And being I live in southern california. I think it sounds like a good number.

Well not to exact a pity party or anything. The Borderline club shooting occurred less than 2 miles from where I live. And these wildfires are bringing back all the memories of last years Thomas fire. The Thomas fire started just 2 miles from my dads house and I helped evacuate my family. And I my self was evacuated from 2 separate places. Well lastnight I wasnt able to get home because of the Woolsey fire and the Hill fire. So I slept on my buddies couch. My girlfriend on the other hand was stuck in simi valley about 10 miles from home, but eventually made it just to have to leave to LAX to pick up her parents that were flying back from El Salvador. She didnt make it back home til 2 a.m. lastnight only to have evacuate at 3 a.m. so she went back to her parents house in simi valley. She had to have gotten less sleep than I did and I barely managed to get 2 hours in. Now I'm back at work in the same clothes. When she left she grabbed her 2 cats, her kid, some clothes for him and left. Didnt grab me or herself anything. Now, I cant even go back home until further notice because of the mandatory evacuation order on our neighborhood. It looks like its gonna be a log weekend.at least I got paid today.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote