The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #51
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Headlight options - Updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93calypsohatch View Post
Happen to have a link?
Cibies at Daniel Stern Lighting: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

Hella Hi/Low at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-0028508...lla+headlights
Hella Hi only at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-0024258...EN6Z870EAPQ0GC

A couple things to be aware of. Everything else being equal, a larger lamp has greater light output than a smaller lamp. So a 7" Hi/Low will slightly outperform a 5 3/4" Hi/Low. And a Hi/Low lamp is, by design, a compromise between the requirements of a high beam, and the requirements of a low beam. However, the high-beam only on a quad setup is designed specifically for maximum performance as a high beam, which is to say they are very impressive.

In a nutshell, if you upgrade all four 5 3/4" lamps of your quad system, you may notice a bit less light on low beam compared to a 7" H4 setup. Still excellent, well-controlled lighting. Switching to high beam will amaze you. When I had four Cibies in my old '66 Corvette, the word I used to describe the high beams was "dazzling". I still miss that car.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #52
blazin

Do you have any pictures with the install done? I’ve been looking for something for my 72 jimmy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I used Jeep Wrangler headlights in my '67 Panel Truck. Jeep JK Wrangler headlights ('07-current) are a direct bolt in swap for the old sealed beam headlights in our trucks. They even have the 3 lugs on the back for alignment and use the stock '67-'72 trim rings. I went ahead and bought the headlight conversion pigtails for the swap too.

I bought both on e-Bay. Here are the actual pigtails I bought and the headlights I bought were from a private seller that changed his over to something different. They are in excellent condition. You have to be careful because there are a lot of look alikes. They do make exact replacements too but you have to watch, some of them come with bulbs and some don't. The easy way to tell the OEM's are by the back. I think the lights are the same from 2007-2015.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130940451329...AIT&rmvSB=true

LockDoc
blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #53
Andy4639
Old member

Relay harness is a great upgrade and if you have about 1 hr of time you can do it yourself with the parts from any auto store.

Parts:
2- 30/40 amp relays = $10.00 most auto parts have them spade connectors = $2.00 wire = $3.00 Time = $0 Total = less than $20.00 Kits cost upward of $50.00! This is for Chevy's and GMC trucks are cars. Some guy's like adding the extra relays for the GMC truck but it's not a must. The 2 relays will handle the system just fine. Why do you need relays on your old vehicle you ask? Have you ever checked the voltage at the head lights with everything on in the truck? I bet not you would be surprised to find only about 10/11 volts at the plugs and maybe even less. The light's look dim and flicker at night when the motor is idling. To get full advantage of the lights you need at least 12 volts and 13,14 is even better. Adding a relay kit will fix this and it will help save you money on other components in the wiring system. Head light switch, dimmer and not to mention it will help on the over all load that your harness has to carry. Take unplug the drivers side head light from the wiring. (Note) The drivers side head light controls both sides low and high beams.. Then with your test light turn the lights on low beam. Check the connector with test light to find the power on the connector. This will be you low beam. Turn the lights off. Cut this wire about 12" back from the connector it's just a matter of where you plan to mount the relays. Then take the end from the harness and crimp the spade connector to it and put on the #86 terminal of the relay. Then take the end going to the head light connector and connect it to terminal #87 . Now connect terminal #85 to the truck for a good ground anywhere you see fit. (note) Make sure it's bare metal for the ground. You could also do the ground for the high beam also at this time. Now you have a couple of choices for the 12 volts hot lead here. It's a matter of what you want to do. You want a good source for this so either run off the battery are the back side of the alternator but make sure you put at least a 30 amp fuse in line. Either one is OK it's just less wire to run off the alternator. (note) the 12 volt source will need to be ran to both relays. So I suggest is make a jumper between the 2 relays. Hook the 12 volt source to the terminal #30 on the relay's, You now have the low beams ready to work and the high beam has a 12 volt source wire. The high beam will be as the low beam. Test the lights now and put them on high beam and check with test light. Clip this wire as you did the L/B and wire per the same instructions. That's it. Enjoy your new lights. The last picture is of my 64 Impala I did the same upgrade and it's idling with the high beams on @ 14.35 volts at the lights. It has right at 14 volts inside the car as well not much loss at all and the electrical system is much less strained now. I have done this upgrade to all 4 of mine.
Here is my face book page with this same info and pictures.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/C10Tour/...-&__tn__=-UC-R
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #54
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemthompson View Post
How is the light output compared to factory? I have done the relay upgrade but would like a little more performance.
It is much brighter than factory and I have the relay upgrade also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n33k0 View Post
Do you have pics of your truck with the JK lights? I was looking at a jeep the other day and noticed the headlight lens has a significant dome shape. It seemed like it wasn't as flat as a regular sealed beam light. I'm sure it wouldn't affect the installation or operation of the light, but I'm just curious if it will make the truck look bug-eyed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin View Post
Do you have any pictures with the install done? I’ve been looking for something for my 72 jimmy.
They do have some dome shape to them but with the way the bulbs are inset into the bezels it isn't that noticeable unless you are up close. My Panel Truck is modded to the max with molded one piece front clip, louvered hood, frenched tail lights, frenched antenna hole, and rolled pans front and rear, so it really doesn't make any difference in my case.... You guys' mileage may vary.

Don't look at the bugs and imperfections, I drive it....

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #55
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Headlight options - Updates?

LockDoc what is the 2 boxes on the dash sir? Speakers?

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:33 PM   #56
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
LockDoc what is the 2 boxes on the dash sir? Speakers?
Yep, speakers. They are off of the sides of a computer monitor. They work good with my MP3 player. I just unplug them and lay them behind the seat when I go to shows or cruise nights.....

LockDoc

-
Old 11-07-2019, 01:35 PM   #57
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Headlight options - Updates?

Quote:
Yep, speakers. They are off of the sides of a computer monitor. They work good with my MP3 player. I just unplug them and lay them behind the seat when I go to shows or cruise nights.....

LockDoc
Cool!
I'm thinking about doing some blue tooth stuff for my daughter's truck. Instead of the old school radio.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-09-2019, 01:57 AM   #58
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
It is much brighter than factory and I have the relay upgrade also.

They do have some dome shape to them but with the way the bulbs are inset into the bezels it isn't that noticeable unless you are up close. My Panel Truck is modded to the max with molded one piece front clip, louvered hood, frenched tail lights, frenched antenna hole, and rolled pans front and rear, so it really doesn't make any difference in my case.... You guys' mileage may vary.

Don't look at the bugs and imperfections, I drive it....

LockDoc
Hi Doc. Nice Panelwagon. This is off-topic to the headlamp conversion -- but is that a fiberglas one-piece doghouse?

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:23 PM   #59
HO455
Post Whore

Doc every time I see your panel I wish I had went that direction with my Burban. That is one sweet truck.

Here is a link to my Burban repair thread. Scroll down to post 105 for information on how I had to modify the headlight buckets to install my Euro Hellas. And a photo on what they look like installed.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=698377&page=5
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:11 PM   #60
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Hi Doc. Nice Panelwagon. This is off-topic to the headlamp conversion -- but is that a fiberglas one-piece doghouse?
Thanks. The front clip is all steel. I didn't do it, it was already done when I bought the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Doc every time I see your panel I wish I had went that direction with my Burban. That is one sweet truck.

Here is a link to my Burban repair thread. Scroll down to post 105 for information on how I had to modify the headlight buckets to install my Euro Hellas. And a photo on what they look like installed.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=698377&page=5
Thanks. I really like it and it gets a lot of compliments at the few shows I attend and the cruise nights.

LockDoc

-
Old 11-10-2019, 07:53 PM   #61
siggyfreud

I will just add my info into the mix.

I installed some 7" Dapper lights into my 72. They have a few versions, including one which is LEDs. I did their V2, which is a true HID projector light. You can customize them quite a bit, including chrome, black, or carbon backgrounds. You can add halos (inner and outer) as well as switchback lighting.

I did it all, so I have outer halos always on (running light), and inner halo is parking light. Headlights off, the outer halo os 100% power. When headlights come in, they're 50% power. Highbeam is a true shutter, with clear cutoff too.

When I flip my turn signal out, the outer white halo blinks amber (switchback). It's a pretty trick setup.

I did have to cut my buckers larger for the V2, as it's a bigger light. I think the V1 and LED lights are smaller, but not as bright.

But like I said, it's all optionaly, so you could get just a more traditional looking HID by going without halos in their chrome background.

Edit: Looks like they also have an OE model that is an LED light:

siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote