The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #126
SFTorange

Re: The Brown Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
man, that looks awesome!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC View Post
What color is that color?
It is the color my truck interior was originally or darned close.
I want to do the interior of my 63 that color...
Nice build, aren't you glad you "took the plunge"?
Thanks Guys! Having the cab back on the frame makes me feel like the end is in sight. For the interior colors, I gave the following codes to my paint shop, and they were able to match them. I'm out of town for the week, but I'll post the actual codes they used when I get home. The exterior color is the factory Saddle Poly code 22683. I think the colors look great, I couldn't be happier.

Medium Fawn: 60% gloss
DuPont: #9171-L
Ditzler: #DL-22571
Rinshed-Mason: #65B84

Dark Fawn: 0% Gloss
DuPont: #9202-L
Ditzler: #DIA 22568
SFTorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #127
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTorange View Post
Got the cab mounted up.
that upper bbw seam came out great!
did you use panel bonding adhesive?
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #128
SFTorange

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
that upper bbw seam came out great!
did you use panel bonding adhesive?
Yep. Panel adhesive on top and spot welds everywhere else. It definitely looks factory.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #129
SFTorange

Started with the sound deadening this evening. It'll be a pretty big job, but should be worth the effort.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #130
SFTorange

My custom made white oak bed wood was delivered today. I'm very happy with how it turned out. I'll post pictures later this afternoon.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #131
SFTorange

I mocked up the unfinished wood with my stainless strips from Mar-K. My plan is to hit the wood with a high quality Marine Varnish. Notice the mirrored grain on the two center pieces... pretty cool.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #132
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

that cab looks CLEAN nice going man.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #133
SFTorange

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
that cab looks CLEAN nice going man.
Thanks!!

Here's a progress update from tonight. My dad came to town for the weekend, and it made things more fun having someone else in the shop.

We got the M/C and booster installed and the new brake lines run. We also kept plugging away at the sound deadening.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #134
SFTorange

Here are some more pics of the sound deadening, and of the wiring harness. We made a lot of progress this weekend, I just need to order crimpers from American Autowire.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #135
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Very Nice work.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #136
Orangetonicclicc

I just finished staining my bed!!! It turned out great! For best results!!! Stain once get a 300 grit foam and drain again!!!!! I have my entire process on my thread, but you seem pretty knowledgeable on most stuff!!!! Great job!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Orangetonicclicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #137
SFTorange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Very Nice work.
Thanks Alan! It's coming along. I'm trying to keep my nose to the grindstone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetonicclicc View Post
I just finished staining my bed!!! It turned out great! For best results!!! Stain once get a 300 grit foam and drain again!!!!! I have my entire process on my thread, but you seem pretty knowledgeable on most stuff!!!! Great job!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! I looked through your build, and your bed wood looks great. I think I'm going to leave mine the original color and just coat it with several coats of Epiphanes spar varnish, sanding between coats.

I ordered the special crimpers from AAW the other day, so hopefully I'll be back on track soon. It shouldn't be long before I have the interior ready, then I'll be probably waiting for the body again...
Old 05-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #138
SFTorange

I thought I'd say a little about the sound deadening products I've been using. It is the Edead product line from Elemental Designs. I ended up using three different products. For most of the cab, I laid down two layers of 45 mil Edead butyl rubber deadening mat. (the 80 mil product was out of stock so I ended up installing two layers of the thinner mat). For the very contoured places, I used Edead V3 liquid sound deadening. I also ended up using the liquid on the back of the cab because I had extra left over and ran out of the mat. Both do a great job of keeping vibrations down. Finally everything will be covered with a high density foam mat that is designed to control higher frequency sounds.

Here's a picture of the three. I'm hoping that this effort will make for a nice quiet ride.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #139
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Will those products work for those of us that prefer a rubber mat over carpet?
Personally speaking, I would prefer to hose out my truck if water wasn't so damaging to the metal in my cab.
Carpet is on my never use it list in my own trucks and since I brought it up, are there any suggestions for a vendor for a good high quality rubber floor mat for our trucks?

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #140
jimmydean

Nice work. I just used the regular peel and seal for my cab, but used a closed cell industrial foam pad from the firewall to the back, then carpet over top. The difference it made in the sound inside the cab was HUGE. And that was before my doors were done, should be wicked quiet now.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #141
SFTorange

Quote:
Personally speaking, I would prefer to hose out my truck if water wasn't so damaging to the metal in my cab.
Carpet is on my never use it list in my own trucks and since I brought it up, are there any suggestions for a vendor for a good high quality rubber floor mat for our trucks?
I would imagine that the butyl rubber mat would work great with the rubber pad for the floor. I might worry a bit about the foam pad if you want to spray out the floor though. It might end up being fine.

I believe that most of the vendors sell a factory-style rubber mat, but I can't speak at all to their quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
Nice work. I just used the regular peel and seal for my cab, but used a closed cell industrial foam pad from the firewall to the back, then carpet over top. The difference it made in the sound inside the cab was HUGE. And that was before my doors were done, should be wicked quiet now.
Excellent! I can't wait to drive this thing! Plus, as a bonus, my wife won't have to worry about her feet breaking through the floor!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #142
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTorange View Post
I would imagine that the butyl rubber mat would work great with the rubber pad for the floor. I might worry a bit about the foam pad if you want to spray out the floor though. It might end up being fine.

I believe that most of the vendors sell a factory-style rubber mat, but I can't speak at all to their quality.
As much as I would like to hose out the truck I wouldn't for fear of causing rust problems.
I ordered a mat from one of mail order guys and it's a $99 POS.
Doesn't fit right and won't even if I trim it.
I'm looking for something better.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 06-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #143
SFTorange

I finally got my special crimpers in from AAW, and set out on the wiring. The kit works very well for the most part. There is some splicing required to wire in the lights for the dash cluster. I've got everything wired up in the cluster, including a voltmeter out of a square body truck in place of the ammeter. Thanks for working through this Roy!

Name:  Truck 002.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  49.1 KB
Can anyone tell me where bulbs were installed in the factory cluster? There are 6 round inserts for bulbs in the back of the cluster that appear to be for gauge illumination, but I can't imagine that they were all used from the factory.

I got the steering column bolted up and wired, and I test fit the condenser in front of the radiator.
Name:  Truck 001.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  Truck 003.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  50.0 KB

I'm now trying to figure out a good place to install my trans cooler without blocking the flow of the condenser.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #144
RoyL

looking good! make sure you "Calibrate" your voltmeter so it runs kinda in the center. I thought I had mine right, but it's about 3/4 where it operates. I'm too lazy to pull it out and fix it . . . You going with the original hardline oil pressure hookup?
Roy

Last edited by RoyL; 06-07-2011 at 01:05 PM.
RoyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #145
SFTorange

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyL View Post
looking good! make sure you "Calibrate" your voltmeter so it runs kinda in the center. I thought I had mine right, but it's about 3/4 where it operates. I'm too lazy to pull it out and fix it . . . You going with the original hardline oil pressure hookup?
Roy
I think I have the gauge centered pretty well, but we'll have to see. I do plan to run the original hardline for oil pressure.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #146
kieth

Quote:
If you do not mind not looking totally stock I picked up a full rubber mat that goes from the top of the firewall to the back of the cab. I to am going to be driving my truck and wanted it to be rubber instead of carpet. This rubber mat allowed me to use the equivalent of dynamat all over the firewall and floor of my 66 gmc, then put the rubber on top so it is easy to keep clean. Kieth I cannot remember where I got it but I can look it up if you are interested.
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #147
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
If you do not mind not looking totally stock I picked up a full rubber mat that goes from the top of the firewall to the back of the cab. I to am going to be driving my truck and wanted it to be rubber instead of carpet. This rubber mat allowed me to use the equivalent of dynamat all over the firewall and floor of my 66 gmc, then put the rubber on top so it is easy to keep clean. Kieth I cannot remember where I got it but I can look it up if you are interested.
I got a funny PM and see that I worded something wrong. I don't install a rubber mat over carpet, I meant I prefer a rubber mat to carpet.. LOL
YES, by the way, I want a rubber mat that goes firewall to cab rear and can be held down by the sill plates on the sides. That would be perfect.
In Arizona, carpet is baked fast then falls apart and holds in TONS of dust and dirt. I can wipe out and nasty stuff with a damp sponge if I have a rubber mat.
Side note;
One of the vendors I have ordered from recently phoned me to express their frustration with my returning things. Well, if it wasn't Asian made garbage it would be in my truck.
The rubber mats I have ordered were thin crappy junk.

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 06-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #148
SFTorange

My new radiator came in today. After a lot of deliberation, I decided to go with the one from Engineered Cooling Products over the Champion radiator. Both products seem to be similar, but one is a two row with 1" tubes and the Champion is a three row with smaller tubes. I doubt there is any difference between the two. The ECP radiator is advertised as having a bigger trans cooler than the others but who really knows. I'm pretty happy with the product. There are a few fins that are a bit tweaked but nothing major. It'll definitely make the engine compartment look nice.
Name:  Truck 001.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  56.8 KB
Name:  Truck 002.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  42.9 KB

Here's where I'm thinking of installing the auxiliary trans cooler. Hopefully it works out ok. It's a big unit, but I don't want to fool around when it comes to heat on my new transmission. I'm trying to keep it out of the way of the a/c condenser as much as possible. I'm open to suggestions as to other places to mount it if anyone has any.
Name:  Truck 004.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  68.7 KB
Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #149
66-PMD-GMC

I am still up in the air on what Radiator to go with.
It is good that you are putting thought into it and not just doing what everyone else is.
Leader not a follower, thats how I roll....

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 06-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #150
SFTorange

Quote:
I am still up in the air on what Radiator to go with.
It is good that you are putting thought into it and not just doing what everyone else is.
Leader not a follower, thats how I roll....
Thanks! I'll be sure to let everyone know how it works. I'm installing a transmission temp gauge too, so I'll know how everything is working.