The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #176
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Re: Install pictures and review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mulaSvaliant View Post
Ok first and foremost pay no mind to my crusty old Daily driver! LOL I made it reliable and now I am working on all the crusty stuff!

So here we go.

This first picture was something I was interested in very much, and that is the actual fit that everyone says is so damn awesome. Proof is in the picture! They fit better than Chevy would have made em'!

This is the last of the "stretch" in pushing on the seal. It is not actually stretched in this picture, it seated properly and very nicely, with no tension trying to make it pop back off.

Here is a little something I did (may not have been necessary), but I gently pinched the seal (the whole thing) before installing it. I feel it helped a bit just to get a better bite and Ill not have to worry about it coming off.

Here is the seal being pressed on to the door jamb. Nothing all that interesting really, but good to see since we are all here wondering how they fit.

Here is the seal installed. This is the drivers side looking at the A-pillar. The compression of the seal is like this all the way around the door and I am extremely happy with it.
*NOTE*
There must be a few colors of these seals. (Hence the "graphite" in the description of the part number supplied earlier in the thread)
This may be valuable information since the part number supplied seems to be getting depleted.

Maybe look for another color? (beige or grey?)

Just a few pictures of the corners to show there is no stretching or trying to pop off.

Now for the one and only thing I wasnt a fan of.

BUT...... I feel it is completely negated by all the "PROs" for this swap.

The seal has a secondary "flap" that is likely used to cover the edge of the Hondas plastic interior panels. It is roughly 3/16" and in my case the seal is light grey.

There does seem to be a fix for this if it seems to bother you all that much.
You could potentially trim it off cleanly (and carefully). At that point you would be left with the black colored edge that is actually the "gripping" part of the seal. That portion does look presentable as well.

(Picture taken with the camera at the windshield lookin in at the A-pillar)

And finally the over all look from inside the cab! As you can see, the portion mentioned above really is a NON-ISSUE as it doesnt draw any attention at all.
I pointed it out to my wife and she (as usual) said I was ridiculous and that nobody would ever even notice it. Hahahaha

I hate the YELLOW by the way! It will be gone ASAP! Hahahah

So I hope this answers a few questions!
I give this mod and research put into it a 12 on a scale of 1-10!
Thanks for sharing the pics & your experience with the install.

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:58 PM   #177
Hugh in NC

Re: 64-66 door weatherstrip-EUREKA!!!!

I just installed the Honda weatherstrip seals in my 1963. I thought I would give a few pointers to the 60-63 truck owners. The seals come with the inside as two colors, graphite black or atlas grey. The inside color is determined by the LAST letter in the parts number. Graphite black was out of stock. Atlas grey was in stock and since the interior of my '63 had been painted a dark metallic grey I went with the atlas grey weatherstrip.

Part# 72355-SVA-A01ZB is atlas grey
Part# 72355-SVA-A01ZA is graphite black

I ordered from these guys:

http://www.bernardiparts.com/SearchO...2355-SVA-A01ZB

They were very nice to work with. I called the 800 number to inquire about stock and shipping times before I ordered. Chris there answered all my questions but I had to place the order online.

Here are 2 photos that show why the Honda weatherstrip is so good and the repop that most suppliers sell is so bad.

This is what the previous owner had installed on my truck. You can see how thick the rubber is that actually seals the door and how thin the rubber is that attaches to the door opening. This had been installed with clear silicone sealer. The rubber came off the truck easily, but the silicone gooped all around the door opening was a chore to remove. It took me about 8 hours to completely get all of the silicone off.

This is the end view of the Honda weatherstrip. The edge that seals against the door is very thin and flexible. The channel that attaches to the door opening is reinforced with steel and has that lip that holds the weatherstrip to the door opening. Someone else in this thread suggested squeezing the metal together to get a tighter attachment.

The Honda part is too short for the '60 to '63 trucks because of the knee knocker windshield. I purchased 3 door weatherstrips so that I could piece in each door. I cut out the preformed corner. The weatherstrip was about 8 1/4 inches short. I pieced it in across the door bottom.

CAUTION: Two days later when I went back into the shop, the rubber had shrunk by about 3/8 of an inch. I must have stretched it when I installed it. It is not a problem because I have plenty more from the 3rd weatherstrip that I had purchased. Just a warning.

The Honda factory joint in the rubber just happened to fall right at the windshield curve. You can just see the black line where they sealed it together.

I am very happy with the outcome of the driver's door seal. I've got another 8 hours of scraping and cleaning to get the passenger door clean.

Hugh
Hugh in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #178
4mulaSvaliant

Good call Hugh! I had made mention of the colors as well, for the sake ordering. Glad to see the part numbers for them.

Great addition to this thread. As I read through it, everyone seemed to be asking for follow up and there wasn't much in the way of photos. I think between yours and mine, it may make people a little more apt to move forward with the mod. I love it man! Beautiful truck by what I can see here. Ill be sure to check out your threads later!
Old 02-25-2015, 05:26 PM   #179
LDO

Like my kids would say, "this is sooo money!"
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:50 PM   #180
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh in NC View Post
I just installed the Honda weatherstrip seals in my 1963. I thought I would give a few pointers to the 60-63 truck owners.

Hugh
great post thanks!, when you get it in, could we see a pic of how the splice looks under the door sill plate?

I plan on using these on my 61
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #181
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

thanks for posting the numbers with the colors listed.

During my search, I found there is a separate part number for the left and right sides.

Part# 72355-SVA-A01ZB is atlas grey, Left Side
Part# 72355-SVA-A01ZA is graphite black, Left Side

Part# 72315-SVA-A01ZB is atlas grey, Right Side
Part# 72315-SVA-A01ZA is graphite black, Right Side

These part numbers are shown to fit 2010-2011 Honda Civic 2 door models. For those that have done this install, did you get one right and one left to do your truck, or did you just use the same part number for each side?

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #182
patrickk1

Ordered mine last week and got it today. Took 2min/side to install it. Fit like a glove! I was impressed. I might buy an extra set for the next vehicle I restore and just cut to length.

1964 GMC pickup lwb ~ My newest build!
1937 Ford Coupe ~ Custom frame, LS1, quickchange
1950 Chevrolet 3100 ~ Bagged (Sold)
1931 Chrysler Roadster ~'32 Ford Frame, Channeled 8" (Originally a 60's show car)
1967 Chevelle ~ 454 Triple Black (Sold)
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS (Sold)
patrickk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #183
curvedglass

Quote:
I just installed the Honda weatherstrip seals in my 1963. I thought I would give a few pointers to the 60-63 truck owners. The seals come with the inside as two colors, graphite black or atlas grey. The inside color is determined by the LAST letter in the parts number. Graphite black was out of stock. Atlas grey was in stock and since the interior of my '63 had been painted a dark metallic grey I went with the atlas grey weatherstrip.

Part# 72355-SVA-A01ZB is atlas grey
Part# 72355-SVA-A01ZA is graphite black

I ordered from these guys:

http://www.bernardiparts.com/SearchO...2355-SVA-A01ZB

They were very nice to work with. I called the 800 number to inquire about stock and shipping times before I ordered. Chris there answered all my questions but I had to place the order online.

Here are 2 photos that show why the Honda weatherstrip is so good and the repop that most suppliers sell is so bad.

This is what the previous owner had installed on my truck. You can see how thick the rubber is that actually seals the door and how thin the rubber is that attaches to the door opening. This had been installed with clear silicone sealer. The rubber came off the truck easily, but the silicone gooped all around the door opening was a chore to remove. It took me about 8 hours to completely get all of the silicone off.

This is the end view of the Honda weatherstrip. The edge that seals against the door is very thin and flexible. The channel that attaches to the door opening is reinforced with steel and has that lip that holds the weatherstrip to the door opening. Someone else in this thread suggested squeezing the metal together to get a tighter attachment.

The Honda part is too short for the '60 to '63 trucks because of the knee knocker windshield. I purchased 3 door weatherstrips so that I could piece in each door. I cut out the preformed corner. The weatherstrip was about 8 1/4 inches short. I pieced it in across the door bottom.

CAUTION: Two days later when I went back into the shop, the rubber had shrunk by about 3/8 of an inch. I must have stretched it when I installed it. It is not a problem because I have plenty more from the 3rd weatherstrip that I had purchased. Just a warning.

The Honda factory joint in the rubber just happened to fall right at the windshield curve. You can just see the black line where they sealed it together.

I am very happy with the outcome of the driver's door seal. I've got another 8 hours of scraping and cleaning to get the passenger door clean.

Hugh

This is PERFECT. I have a 63. My plan is to buy three and piece it. You beat me to it - Will be ordering shortly.

Thanks a for posting this
curvedglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #184
Hugh in NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
great post thanks!, when you get it in, could we see a pic of how the splice looks under the door sill plate?

I plan on using these on my 61
Here you go:

Hugh
Hugh in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:38 AM   #185
curvedglass

here is a new twist. Since we need to piece in a section for the 60-63 trucks - why not buy three from a sedan. LH/ RH front plus maybe a rear door seal for the one that gets cut up for splicing? If the sedan isn't too much shorter the entire sill plate could cover the splice. I figure sedan strips should be easier to find.

Just a thought
Old 03-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #186
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Quote:
Here you go:

Hugh
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvedglass View Post
here is a new twist. Since we need to piece in a section for the 60-63 trucks - why not buy three from a sedan. LH/ RH front plus maybe a rear door seal for the one that gets cut up for splicing? If the sedan isn't too much shorter the entire sill plate could cover the splice. I figure sedan strips should be easier to find.

Just a thought
that is a good idea if it will fit, after looking at hughs with the sill plate I was thinking of cutting the "patch" longer, so the 2 seams are towards the ends of the sill plate... if the 4 doors are long enough , that might do the trick for the 60-63 guys....
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:09 AM   #187
AustinBelair

I need to order these for my dads truck when we're ready. Such an awesome idea
Old 03-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #188
4shongo

Anybody have any updates on a place that actually has them in stock? Everyone I call says they are on backorder. Please post up if you have a good vendor to call. Thanks
4shongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #189
patrickk1

I ordered mine online from Honda of Lisle (they were the cheapest online seller). Ordered on the Feb 18th, received them on the 25th. I did not bother checking if they were in stock or not as I was in no rush to get them.

1964 GMC pickup lwb ~ My newest build!
1937 Ford Coupe ~ Custom frame, LS1, quickchange
1950 Chevrolet 3100 ~ Bagged (Sold)
1931 Chrysler Roadster ~'32 Ford Frame, Channeled 8" (Originally a 60's show car)
1967 Chevelle ~ 454 Triple Black (Sold)
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS (Sold)
patrickk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #190
nhr3

Just got mine from the hondapartscheap.com site. $119 with shipping. Took about 2 weeks and no emails after the initial acceptance of funds. They fit my 65 well. I am pleased.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #191
rickoner

Order from Majestic Honda 2/24. Shipped 2/26. Received this morning. Total was $95.87 to my door. I was in the Honda game for years and years and Majestic is where I ordered all of my parts from. I learned to not even bother with my local dealer.

I threw one on to just see if the hype was real. Yup, like a glove! The door closes so nice now. No idea about wind noise or anything as my car is far from the road though.

Only down side like mentioned before, is that it's visible though the windshield. But if you're not extremely anal, it's not even an issue.
rickoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #192
Jferrante

Found a set on craigslist out of a wrecked civic for $40 - hardest part was getting some of the old trim off that had been glued in - unbelievable fit and no road noise and door shuts great.
Attached Images

Jferrante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #193
curvedglass

http://stores.revolutionparts.com/ho...aledirect.com/

I ordered them on March 6th. Was told out of stock and would order them for me. Got a note they shipped yesterday March 11th. $45 each + shipping. i bought a third one for splicing the dog leg.

I'll post pics when finished.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:09 AM   #194
Super_Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbe351 View Post
Damn! I just ordered from them after I thought they got some in. I canceled about 3 - 4 weeks ago when they were backordered. Hope I don't get floor mats.....
Sounds like a White Elephant Gift Exchange!

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:38 AM   #195
curvedglass

Got my UPS package on Friday. Not bad. One week turn around from order to my door. Pulled off the old ones. Now I got a few hours ahead of me to clean off the old goop and touch up the paint.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #196
64chevmn

Before I go ahead and rip out the new door weather stripping I installed last fall on my 1964, I need your opinions first.......

I did a complete frame-off last year including new rocker panels and partial floors. I was very careful to make sure the doors and rockers lined up before welding everything to assure no issues arose when installing everything down the road. Prior to installing the door weather stripping, my doors shut and lined up perfectly. After installation of the weather stripping, I had to literally use two hands to shut the door. I was hoping over the winter the seals would break-in and allow me to shut the doors normally....but they still require a "slam" to shut.

Before I rip out the repo weather stripping and get a set of Honda; is there anything else I can check or do to make sure it is a weather stripping fitment issue rather than a door adjustment issue??

Thanks in advance....Dan
64chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #197
Rob Fisher

Dan
I couldn't get my stock latches adjusted to the point where I was happy even with weather-strip that had been on the truck for a number of years.
I found that the Honda ones are a much softer more flexible material then the repo stock ones. Also the Honda weather-strip has holes all around the seal that allow air to escape from the seal itself making it easier for it to collapse when the door closes.
I couldn't be happier with mine.
Rob Fisher
Rob Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:32 AM   #198
curvedglass

I didn't finish the splice but I put mine on over the weekend. Fits great. bends around the dogleg without issues. Door closes with two fingers and I can finally close it from the inside. I have had to reach out the window to pull the door closed. Using the inside handle wasn't enough to close the door all the way. I'll post up some pics when I finish the splice under the sill plate.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #199
short62

Awsome tip aftermarket seals are inferior in regards to fit. I got a 62 Jimmy where did you get that dash insert
short62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:11 PM   #200
angelt85

Would these fit on a 63?
angelt85 is offline   Reply With Quote