The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
72stepside4WD

Leaf Spring Help

What do you use for replacement springs??? I am looking to replace the original worn-out leaf springs (front & rear) on a 72 SWB 4x4. I am thinking about the Skyjacker softride 2.5" lift springs. Has anyone used this product? Is it a straight swap out, or will I need to make modifications? Any other recommendations for an easy replacement? Thanks!
72stepside4WD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Re: Leaf Spring Help

I'll ride on your coattails for a while here. Similar question but mine's an LWB (K10)... It currently has a about a 2in block and shackle lift (ack!).
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Swapping in 2.5" springs will be very straight forward. About the only thing to worry about will be possibly having a bolt or two seized. When I pulled off my K5's old lift springs for new ones, I had to cut the front leaf spring bolts on the front of the springs as they were seized to the inner metal sleave. I used a cut-off wheel and carefully cut the bolts between the spring and the hanger mount.

As you swap out the springs, it would be wise to get replacement bushings for the front spring's rear hanger at the frame location and the bushing for the rear hanger too.

I got all greasable bolt/bushings from OffRoad Design when I did my lift on my K20 and K5.

With that minor lift you shouldn't need to do any steering corrections, other than maybe having to adjust the drag link a touch to get full steering left and right.

Brake lines should be fine as should your driveshafts.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Several years ago I swapped out my sagging front springs for Skyjacker Sorftride 2.5" springs. I'm no mechanic -- I only do light repairs/maintenance in my carport -- but it wasn't bad at all. The only thing I struggled with was the front spring bushing inserts were just a wee bit too long to fit inside the hangers, so I had to grind a bit off them. Other than that, no issues and they are still great. Quality is excellent (including u-bolts etc.). They came with red poly bushings, and they have never squeaked.

The kit I bought came with aluminum rear blocks but I never installed them. I have rear add-a-leafs and the truck is nearly level, with a very slight nose-up attitude. I tell myself it's okay because it's a bit like a CORR truck.

Oh, one more thing. Brake lines & steering hardware were all okay, but I needed longer shocks. Turns out the stock rear shocks are perfect on the front of a 2.5" lifted truck! I have the KYB part number around here somewhere if you want it.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
72stepside4WD

Thanks for the feedback Y.J. & Stocker. Stocker, would you mind posting a side-shot of your truck so I could see the stance?
72stepside4WD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Wish I could -- but I haven't been able to figure out how. My avatar is there because my daughter did it for me when she lived with us. Sorry...

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote