The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #51
BIGglaSS

Re: Where does a guy start?

Oh yeah, I was going to say... If you want to keep a traditional "in dash" radio, start with a retrosound head unit, and try the center speakers you have now. It may meet your needs just fine. Then upgrade from there if you're not happy and need more. That head unit has decent power, plus bluetooth and usb inputs. It also has low level outputs and tuning features if you upgrade to amps and component speakers later.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:34 PM   #52
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGglaSS View Post
No problem! It will take me a while to address everything you said. When I get a chance, I'll take a look at the speakers you mentioned, but my first thought is gimmick...

First, set a budget with what you're willing to pay.

If you don't want to cut the dash:
1. Retrosound radios get a solid reputation, AND, I own one. (But haven't installed it yet).
2. Bluetooth interface + amps (but no FM radio options that I know of!)

Meanwhile, check out my Squarebody stereo from the thread in my signature. It is a very simple head unit, amp, speakers, and 8" subwoofer. Total investment $257. This won't fool an audiophile, but will impress many folks that spend 3x that amount.

For my '57 pickup, I spent $1000 total for Retrosound head unit, component speakers, 5 ch amp, 8" subwoofer, and digital signal processor. All name-brand quality stuff! Granted, I bought this a few years ago. In today's dollars at full retail would be north of $1500.

You don't have to spend a fortune to get great sound. Thoughtful design and seeking out great deals will save you a lot of $.

If you put speakers in the vents, you should close off the air vents. I am sealing the fresh air intake on my cowl, and running A/C. I installed quality co-axial component speakers into my fresh air vents. Not perfect, but an acceptable trade-off.

The speakers will be covered with these 63 impala vents:
Quote:
Oh yeah, I was going to say... If you want to keep a traditional "in dash" radio, start with a retrosound head unit, and try the center speakers you have now. It may meet your needs just fine. Then upgrade from there if you're not happy and need more. That head unit has decent power, plus bluetooth and usb inputs. It also has low level outputs and tuning features if you upgrade to amps and component speakers later.
I checked both your build threads and they are both GREAT...You are very talented.

I do want to keep the original look of the in-dash radio so Im looking at the retrosound you mentioned...and of course there are a few options.

I noticed in your builds you had a 5 channel amp? Have no idea what the channels mean...Im assuming more is better????

The only real thing I know about speakers is continues power...in that I have some Klipsch home speakers that never distort but they are pricey.
Its looking like I am gonna have to do what you did as far as placing the speakers in the kick panels...not feasible to put them in the top of the dash like your square body.

It also make a lot of sense that anything you put under or behind the seat will basically be a waste of money unless its specifically a sub. I has thought about mounting some forward facing speakers under the seat....with the old adage that the more speakers the better. But from what I am learning from you is that its better to have a well thought out system than just throwing speakers at it.

Ill be interested to know what you suggest and where when you have time to look at some things. Once again I really do appreciate it a lot.

John
2019 GMC AT4
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:38 PM   #53
BIGglaSS

My opinion of the undercover speakers, is they will sound like a glorified factory radio, pointed at your ankles. But, they have there place.. Where you just want to listen to something, and have no where to properly hide speakers. I think you could do better with rear corner speakers for less than the $ of undercover.

For now, don't worry about # of channels or watts, etc. Lets nail down the type of system you want. You can always add as you go.

Channels are the number of amplified outputs going to speakers. For example, a typical car radio has 4 channels. Front left, Front right, Rear left, Rear right. When you get into custom applications and multiple speakers, then channels become important. The retrosound head unit is a 5 channel. Front L/R, Rear L/R, Subwoofer. You do not have to use all the channels.

I am assuming this is going into a 66 pickup? This will be a challenge... It sounds like you're keeping a dash mount radio. If so, then I would get a Retrosound head unit.

Next, install the dash speakers you already have. If you want more, we can go from there.

Here's where it can go 2 ways:
4 channels powered from the head unit. (typical factory car radio setup). 2 in the dash, and 2 in each rear corner.

Semi-custom; Subwoofer (bass), mid-range, tweeter. This will require one or more amps and the price goes up significantly. I was just looking at 66 dash pictures. There is no where to put a speaker. Your best bet is upholstered panels in the kick panel below the vent. Though speaker choice will be very limited, you will somewhat be able to aim them.

One more question.. What does your daily driver have? Simple radio and speakers, or a factory premium system?

Hope this helps. Like I said start with a head unit, and go from there...
Old 05-04-2019, 09:17 PM   #54
Johns 66

Quote:
My opinion of the undercover speakers, is they will sound like a glorified factory radio, pointed at your ankles. But, they have there place.. Where you just want to listen to something, and have no where to properly hide speakers. I think you could do better with rear corner speakers for less than the $ of undercover.

For now, don't worry about # of channels or watts, etc. Lets nail down the type of system you want. You can always add as you go.

Channels are the number of amplified outputs going to speakers. For example, a typical car radio has 4 channels. Front left, Front right, Rear left, Rear right. When you get into custom applications and multiple speakers, then channels become important. The retrosound head unit is a 5 channel. Front L/R, Rear L/R, Subwoofer. You do not have to use all the channels.

I am assuming this is going into a 66 pickup? This will be a challenge... It sounds like you're keeping a dash mount radio. If so, then I would get a Retrosound head unit.

Next, install the dash speakers you already have. If you want more, we can go from there.

Here's where it can go 2 ways:
4 channels powered from the head unit. (typical factory car radio setup). 2 in the dash, and 2 in each rear corner.

Semi-custom; Subwoofer (bass), mid-range, tweeter. This will require one or more amps and the price goes up significantly. I was just looking at 66 dash pictures. There is no where to put a speaker. Your best bet is upholstered panels in the kick panel below the vent. Though speaker choice will be very limited, you will somewhat be able to aim them.

One more question.. What does your daily driver have? Simple radio and speakers, or a factory premium system?

Hope this helps. Like I said start with a head unit, and go from there...
Last question first...My daily driver is a 19 GMC Double Cab AT4...it has the factory Bose speakers and whatever factory radio comes in it....It sounds really good for what it is and have no plans of changing it.

This will go in my 66 C10...It has a BBW cab. Im not sure I can have corner speakers behind the seat at this point...I bought a new gas tank that is 24 gallons and it goes from side to side but haven't mounted it permanently . I did mount during mock up make it fit but that's been awhile ago.

While working on my truck today I looked at places I could mount speakers....Some sound crazy but not really feasible...

Mount under dash pointing toward floor board.....Nah that wont work.

Make a mount for the upper part of the firewall pointing toward the rear....Nah that will look funny and thrown together.

So more realistically I have basically 2 choices....either kick panel speakers or speakers in the fresh air vents.

I will mention that before I took it all apart the truck had a cheap radio mounted under the dash and a speaker in each door 6" round speakers...It played pretty loud and wasn't really distorted but was pretty much a stock interior...rubber mat etc....

So heres my thoughts...again Im a total noob at this and really just throwing out ideas.

If I can fit them.... places 2 corners speakers behind the seat( not sure what size or type)...Place some kinda small sub under the seat to give it a little bass...the 2 speakers in fresh air/Kick panel ( again not sure what type or size) and the center 2 speaker I have already bought,,,Plus the restosound head unit that you mentioned.
Thoughts?
2019 GMC AT4
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote