The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > WIW

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2020, 10:22 PM   #1
bcfishon

Value $ of a nice hardtop

What would you folks consider the going price for a complete grade A condition hard top for the 1969-72 blazer?. I have a single and double wall top and both need work, they both have hatches that are cracked at the opening handle,missing chunks on edges,cracked at hinge and slide latch attaching area. The tops also have little bits missing around the edges and one has the bottom left side completely broke off at bottom backside on side window frame and up to the bottom middle of same window. They are rough but no sunroof or vents or sag.

I took the broken top and it's hatch to a guy that I bought a blazer from,he had done some wild stuff to the top on the rig I bought from him. Like butcher a canopy from a 97 z71 and install the side windows and rear glass hatch into the 72 blazer top , some may have seen this top on here as I posted about it a while back. Anyways the guy tells me $2500 to redo my single wall top back to pristine condition,I'm thinking if the work turns out as good as the other top he did than this is a fair deal. I've seen pristine factory tops go for as much as $3000 so I don't think I'm getting a smoking deal but I will know what I have and it will be like new. I traded a fender well and a seat for the top so I don't have much into it ,seems they are getting next to impossible to find nowdays.
bcfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:12 AM   #2
PDXk5

Re: Value $ of a nice hardtop

That seems like a reasonable investment.

Let me know if you have it done and how it turned out. I’m in Oregon and would like to find someone reputable to do my top.
PDXk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:01 AM   #3
Blazerowner

I had a glass guy offer to do mine for $1000. That was with paint. He was a corvette restorer and had worked with boats as well.
Blazerowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #4
bcfishon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXk5 View Post
That seems like a reasonable investment.

Let me know if you have it done and how it turned out. I’m in Oregon and would like to find someone reputable to do my top.
I will definitely keep you folks posted,this is the custom top he did.
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #5
fear_nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfishon View Post
I will definitely keep you folks posted,this is the custom top he did.
Wow that turned out nice, do you have any more pictures or a link to his site perhaps? It looks a little like a pickup-bed topper. I wonder if its cost feasible to take that approach, but then again is anything cost feasible with 1st generations?
fear_nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #6
bcfishon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear_nothing View Post
Wow that turned out nice, do you have any more pictures or a link to his site perhaps? It looks a little like a pickup-bed topper. I wonder if its cost feasible to take that approach, but then again is anything cost feasible with 1st generations?
The gentleman that did the work quoted me $4500 to make another and I would have to furnish the donor canopy.. He is an older gentleman that works with his kid at a local body shop that does collision repair. I was lucky to find the blazer he lost interest in and the top was on it and that's when it all started. Again I will keep folks posted on how this turns out.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:13 PM   #7
fear_nothing

Quote:
The gentleman that did the work quoted me $4500 to make another and I would have to furnish the donor canopy.. He is an older gentleman that works with his kid at a local body shop that does collision repair. I was lucky to find the blazer he lost interest in and the top was on it and that's when it all started. Again I will keep folks posted on how this turns out.
Good god - at that price does he really want to make another one? At that price thats 3-4 brand new soft tops, with change left over
Old 03-23-2020, 08:00 PM   #8
bcfishon

Quote:
Good god - at that price does he really want to make another one? At that price thats 3-4 brand new soft tops, with change left over
I don't think he's really into doing anymore, this top he did for his own personal rig and then lost interest,heck I paid just a little over the 4500 for the entire rig including the top he is so proud of.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #9
american revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
I had a glass guy offer to do mine for $1000. That was with paint. He was a corvette restorer and had worked with boats as well.

is your guy in the bay area? would like to get my top redone.
american revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:22 AM   #10
HeloCrewChief

Quote:
I don't think he's really into doing anymore, this top he did for his own personal rig and then lost interest,heck I paid just a little over the 4500 for the entire rig including the top he is so proud of.
I’m interested in having my single wall top redone as well. I’m up the road from you in Washington. Did his price include fixing the hatch?
1968 Chevelle
1964 Comet Caliente
1990 W250 Cummins
HeloCrewChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #11
fear_nothing

Quote:
I like this top more and more each time I see it - Very Unique. - any chance we can get a couple side profile photos of your blazer?

Thanks!