The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
slammed57

manual or boosted brake question

well Iam at the point for a brake system ,I do like the feel of power brakes but was curious if I went with a complete manuel disc set up from wilwood 4 piston calipers and master cylinder. how would the pedal feel compared to a power system? Iam running a bbc 650hp with a t56 if needed to know. just dont want to spend all this money and then hate Manuel set up, my biggest worry is the amount of pedal effort needed, any advise is appreciated

Last edited by slammed57; 08-16-2019 at 04:53 PM.
slammed57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:34 PM   #2
1project2many

Re: manual or boosted brake question

If there's one thing I've learned over the years it's that pedal feel is very subjective. In general, brake systems set up to require 60-70 lbs of force at the pedal for average stopping get the fewest complaints. But the amount of pedal pressure required for fast stops and the amount of control required to apply the brakes without lockup is reported very differently between drivers.

My suggestion is very general. If you plan to keep the truck, and if you are younger than 40, build a brake system that does not require large amounts of force to stop fast or often. As you age you will find that the "not so bad" brakes of yesterday are a bit of a PITA today.

As far as the Wilwood setup goes, they have some exceptional engineers that can likely help calculate how much effort at the pedal is required to stop your truck using their brakes. It is possible for an average person to make well educated guesses and some rough calculations but I think you're best off to speak to Wilwood to get their input first.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #3
slammed57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
If there's one thing I've learned over the years it's that pedal feel is very subjective. In general, brake systems set up to require 60-70 lbs of force at the pedal for average stopping get the fewest complaints. But the amount of pedal pressure required for fast stops and the amount of control required to apply the brakes without lockup is reported very differently between drivers.

My suggestion is very general. If you plan to keep the truck, and if you are younger than 40, build a brake system that does not require large amounts of force to stop fast or often. As you age you will find that the "not so bad" brakes of yesterday are a bit of a PITA today.

As far as the Wilwood setup goes, they have some exceptional engineers that can likely help calculate how much effort at the pedal is required to stop your truck using their brakes. It is possible for an average person to make well educated guesses and some rough calculations but I think you're best off to speak to Wilwood to get their input first.
Thanks so much, I did speak with wilwood yesterday afternoon , I was told to expect around 100 lbs of force .... which is more than I want.... Iam sure driving it to a show will be fine but to take it on a long day cruise on the back roads would probably get old and somewhat tiring . Thank you for the response, I appreciate it
Old 08-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
e015475

A BBC with 650 hp is likely to have a cam that produces a weak vacuum signal to a power brake booster.

I think a hydroboost would be a good solution if you have power steering and you have a place to put it.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
slammed57

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
A BBC with 650 hp is likely to have a cam that produces a weak vacuum signal to a power brake booster.

I think a hydroboost would be a good solution if you have power steering and you have a place to put it.
yes true. being a Manuel transmission It might do alright... If not then I will be adding a hydroboost on it