The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2020, 03:02 AM   #1
Greasey Harley

HEI distributors are pointless

See what I did there?

But seriously, I have found no need to change over from my old points distributor.

Anybody else still run points, just because they work?

My truck never sees 5500 rip'ems, so the points close just fine.
I set the dwell and swap them out every 5 years, or so.
What am I missing?
My new truck, a '79 Chevy, (Yes, that's new to me) has an HEI and runs just fine, but I can't say it preforms any better than the 'ol 327 with points.
What's the deal?
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:28 AM   #2
Killer Bee

Re: HEI distributors are pointless

yes sir, both of my 71 longhorns and 65 c20 running original points distributors, haven't found the need to replace any of them..

my 71 k burbs already have hei so probably just keep them.. one of them is getting the unilite I scored here recently to regain firewall clearance, wires rub.. the other was "clearanced" in a slightly better manner than the radio mod

I started adjusting points when I about 14, not rocket science and today really adds to the nostalgia
Old 06-24-2020, 07:43 AM   #3
burnin oil

No points here. Original points distributer was toast at 50k miles. The shaft was loose inside the housing. But my truck was a fire truck previously so hard telling how many hours were on it. The motor was wore out also. When the new motor went in so did the HEI.

Seriously what brand of poi to are you guys running and how many miles are you getting g out of them. I was having a hard time finding decent points 25 years ago. I was having issues with the arms being cheap and bending when set properly and being reved. My buddy had a factory dual point by brand F and was replacing his every month from block wear. Those were a high performance set though with increased tension because he had alot of bounce issues with standard points.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:12 PM   #4
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasey Harley View Post
What am I missing?
These parts:
Quote:
My truck never sees 5500 rip'ems, so the points close just fine.
I set the dwell and swap them out every 5 years, or so.
For performance setups, which your truck is not, point's are terrible.
For daily driver setups, points are more maintenance.

Sure, they work fine for you. So did DC3's since world war two, to this day. Doesn't mean a 737 isn't a better machine performance wise.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:43 PM   #5
Killer Bee

^ may want to pick a better aircraft analogy..
Old 06-24-2020, 11:49 PM   #6
Greasey Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
No points here.

...Seriously what brand of poi to are you guys running and how many miles are you getting g out of them. I was having a hard time finding decent points 25 years ago. ...
I have had good luck with standard ignition points, from the local Federated Auto Store.
NOS Delco points are easy to find on FleaBay. Can't go wrong with those.
I usually get 25-30k out of a properly set up set of points. Like I said, I change them out every 5 years, whether they need it or not. usually throw the old set in the glove box, just in case. Never had to use them (yet).
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:28 AM   #7
BigRandy

I understand and I really like the nostalgic look of a points distributor and cap, but not that much.

When I got my rusty 74 Cheyenne I yanked the dist out quick, fast, and in a hurry. I replaced it with a Skip White HEI and never looked back. I've always found HEI to be darn near bullet proof under normal conditions. Points are fine. I just like HEI better.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:41 AM   #8
The Rocknrod

I haven't used points since the 80's.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:14 AM   #9
WorkinLonghorn

Difference with HEI is an instant start, and they leave you stranded on the side of the road every so often which never happened to me with points.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:18 AM   #10
The Rocknrod

Nope. Never been stranded due to HEI.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:37 PM   #11
burnin oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Nope. Never been stranded due to HEI.
I have twice. On time I shattered a rotor and took a chunk out of the cap. The other time I melted a coil. Neither time was on a stock HEI. The price we pay to play. I just make sure to carry a spare.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:57 PM   #12
toolboxchev

HEI's are sensitive to High Voltages created by the old separate voltage regulators.

SQUAAAAK! I know you are but what am I! SQUAAAAAKKK!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:23 PM   #13
vince1

My first HEI in a 307 fried a module in the first 200 miles of me owning it. That I suspect was from travelling over the Coquihalla highway on a hot day.

No problems with the HEI in the 250.

The third one in a 350 fried the pick up coil in the first 100 miles. That was after having it on the charger over night.

I guess I have had better reliability from points but if I never see another set it will be too soon.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:36 PM   #14
RustyBucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRandy View Post
I understand and I really like the nostalgic look of a points distributor and cap, but not that much.
There are small cap H.E.I.'s with a separate coil. I put a tach. drive one in my buddy's '64 Corvette awhile back. He rarely drives it and it would usually run crappy with the old point type dist. Seems to be better since the change. I think it fires hotter & keeps the plugs cleaner. Looks pretty orig. too, black cap & wires. Cheep chineez off of Ebay but it's working good so far.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:04 PM   #15
Killer Bee

I guess every vehicle made up until the seventies ran like crap

almost as bad as the drum vs disk debate, convert to disk or die a fiery death
Old 06-27-2020, 12:11 AM   #16
burnin oil

They did have magnetos for a reason though. Same with dual point distributors. Once you got past benzene burning low compression motors the old points were less than adequate in alot of applications. Why did the factory switch from 6v to 12 volt? Why get rid of hand cranks for electric starters? Sure it worked when that was the pinnacle of technology but we moved on. Heck I am a carburetor guy even who hates automatic transmissions. I will run points if they came with the vehicle but I sure won't buy a replacement points distributer. Discs can be nice up front but I prefer rear drums. Have you ever tried to pry a rock out of a disc brake setup on the side of the road. It ain't no fun.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:59 AM   #17
Greasey Harley

-so
After two sets of defective "premium" points and condensers. I gave in and installed a pertronix.
The old truck ran better instantly. No surprise there.
Question is, will it last? We will see.
I'm not opposed to solid state ignitions per-se, I have just heard about a lot of reliability problems with retrofit kits.
Ain't gonna lie, I'm kinda bummed and I feel a little bit like a sellout. I have brought shame upon my house.

-Russ
Old 11-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #18
Killer Bee

what brand of points were failing? I'll need to scratch those of my list next tune-up time..

tho I'm holding out long as I can, looks like you're in good company with your decision..

The great ignition debate: Points vs. Pertronix
Old 11-06-2020, 07:49 PM   #19
gvw5400

Interesting read. I have had points "weld " together and have a no start issue.
I also have had a HEI shut down about 3 miles from the house, of course I had tools but
no parts, I took the module out and cooled it with creek water, ( since walking was my only other option )! I totally lucked out, it started and I drove home!! This occurred with a
crappy Al Cardone reman. Dist. I replaced the module with a NAPA echlin module and
drove 10 more years without a problem.
Basically, any given part or system can fail. How reliable and how difficult it is to repair
the given system is the question. Good questions and schools of thoughts on ignition
systems. This forum is a great place for us to share opinions and information about
our trucks. Thanks everyone

All The Best
Dirk
gvw5400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #20
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

When I ran a points dizzy, I ran accel, or blue steak points. I opted for the heavy spring on the points. I twisted that .060 over 283 to 6800 on a daily basis, but did have to do points & plugs every 8-10K.....to keep the sharp tune The HEI , has not ever given much problem? Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:00 PM   #21
Greasey Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
what brand of points were failing? I'll need to scratch those of my list next tune-up time..

tho I'm holding out long as I can, looks like you're in good company with your decision..

The great ignition debate: Points vs. Pertronix
First a set of Standard then a set of Blue Streak.

Condensers went out on the standard, replaced p&c with a set of Blue Streak, the mechanism for the points got loose and wonky after about 3500 miles.

If I could get over my vanity, I would just install an HEI and call it a day.
Problem is, HEI just don't look right under the hood of a '68 Chevy (IMO).
I think �� I might stash a spare distributor behind the seat where the factory jack used to live.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:22 PM   #22
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Pertronix will never get another penny of my money. Good luck with your conversion.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:07 PM   #23
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

What fab man said! I have used the pertronix ign.....it works for a while, then it does not longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:26 PM   #24
burnin oil

Get a small body HEI set up as non computer and build your own plug wires. You would look almost stock. I to would not spend a penny on Petronix as I know of 2 bad experiences with them. Granted it was first and second generation modules so its been 20 years.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #25
mattfranklin

No doubt, the points type distributers with the smaller caps look way better. However, one advantage of the HEI is that it can jump a larger spark gap and has more spark energy. These make the HEI more forgiving if your mixture, state of tune, or weather are out of kilter.

I'm going back and forth on what to do with my '70. It came with an ugly HEI, but it runs so well. Still, I'm going for a '70s vintage look. I've had other vehicles with points that have flaked out in less than a year -- and left me stranded in a snow storm. I also had an '84 S-10 that I bought new and ran out to 200k miles and never replaced any ignition parts except for the plugs. It was faithful and reliable from the day I bought it until I gave it away to my dad for a "winter car."

There is also a great SAE paper on the engineering that went into the HEI. What they did back then was pretty impressive and way better than any of the Ford systems with their multiple boxes and rat's nests of wiring.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote