The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

All-steel one Piece front end?

So I'm really bored and that means I start planning my projects for the spring, from the basic upgrades (my new heads, rear suspension), to the more unusual stuff.

One such project has come about in the form of wanting a one-piece (more or less) front end for my 66. I need to remove the inner fenders anyway, and the footwell area is getting slightly modified...so I started thinking.

I would really like a fiberglass front end, but I've heard nothing but terrible things about all the options on the market for the 64-66. This made me think about staying all-metal, but doing a tilt or lift-off front.

If anyones seen that done, do tell me. The big question is whether or not the weight of those panels/hood alone would make the concept impractically difficult. I can't imagine trying to lift a steel hood off by myself, let alone with fenders and a grill attached.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #2
low&slow
Account Suspended

Re: All-steel one Piece front end?

I've seen it done on multiple years and makes of trucks. My friends uncle did a tilt front clip on his ford truck. In fact, he's going to be helping me build my tilt front clip that will also be removable on my 67 c10. The way we are going to build it will be very easy to tilt forward by yourself, but may take at least two people to lift it off. I'm still currently designing a way to remove the front clip by yourself. It will be all steel as well.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #3
low&slow
Account Suspended

I've seen it done on multiple years and makes of trucks. My friends uncle did a tilt front clip on his ford truck. In fact, he's going to be helping me build my tilt front clip that will also be removable on my 67 c10. The way we are going to build it will be very easy to tilt forward by yourself, but may take at least two people to lift it off. I'm still currently designing a way to remove the front clip by yourself. It will be all steel as well.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #4
donandal

I am doing a 53 pickup with a tilt front.
I powered the tilt with a 800 lb linear 12v
actuator.
I pivots forward at the front bumper and works quite well.
Takes about 25 seconds to open or close.
Attached Images

donandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:38 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Wow thats cool man, a little more "show" than I"m looking for, but none-the-less very ingenious.

Low&slow, let me know how that goes for you!

My actual goal started as weight loss and cleaning things up (hence the fenderwell removal etc). I'm hoping to find a tilt solution that doesn't increase the weight, if anything I'd really like to lose some!

Keep the posts coming guys!

Old 01-15-2015, 05:15 AM   #6
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post

Low&slow, let me know how that goes for you!

My actual goal started as weight loss and cleaning things up (hence the fenderwell removal etc). I'm hoping to find a tilt solution that doesn't increase the weight, if anything I'd really like to lose some!

Keep the posts coming guys!
Weight loss and cleaning things up is my reason for doing it. At this point in time I don't have inner fenders. Eventually I will have custom inner fenders. All wires will be hidden and the headlights/blinkers will also work. I'm thinking as far as weight goes, I may only weigh about 15-20 pnds more than what the hood, fenders, grille, and other small parts weigh together. If I was to ditch the inner fenders, I'll only lose the weight of the original inner fenders. To lose anymore weight, I think you'd have to get rid of any metal you don't need. Maybe even do an aluminium core support or a custom one. But as for the tilt itself, it will be a manual lift. As for price, it's only going to cost me about $150 max and that's including the beer for my friend to do all the wielding.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:13 PM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Hey low&slow, was any progress made on your project (or is this a plan for the spring?) Just curious if I should be keeping an eye out for updates

Old 01-25-2015, 04:51 PM   #8
low&slow
Account Suspended

The only progress I've made is the hinges for it to tilt forward. I still need to have them cut out though. They will be made out of 1\8th inch thick aluminum to keep weight down. I'm pretty sure I have a design figured out on how to make it removable as well if desired and I'll be able to remove it myself.

As for progress on the clip itself, I'm still undecided if I want to run a front bumper or roll pan. I don't like the look of a front roll pan, but I like the look of a rear roll pan. I could run a front bumper and a rear roll pan, but I don't like that look either and I don't really want a rear bumper. I may just do away with a bumper for now and just focuse on making the clip tilt.

I may also get rid of the core support as well if I decide to weld the hood to the fenders.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:18 PM   #9
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I"m running front bumper, rollpan rear. I like it that way. It says "I can hit YOU, but if YOU hit me, we BOTH explode"

Old 01-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #10
low&slow
Account Suspended

That's a good looking truck you got there.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:40 AM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
The only progress I've made is the hinges for it to tilt forward. I still need to have them cut out though. They will be made out of 1\8th inch thick aluminum to keep weight down. I'm pretty sure I have a design figured out on how to make it removable as well if desired and I'll be able to remove it myself.

I may also get rid of the core support as well if I decide to weld the hood to the fenders.
Are you planning to lasercut/jet and then weld them, or have them CNC'd? If you have CAD files, I can see what it would take to run a few of them on the mill.

As for the core support I was looking at that as well. It seems like when you take the clip off, its pretty rigid on its own, even without the inner fenders.
My guess would be that you could replace the core support with a more-sparse tubular unit, that way you still have sturdy place to mount the radiator etc..and still retain any structural function it serves.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:37 AM   #12
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I was bored, not sure who's pick I stole, but something like this from 1/2"-3/4" box tube, with the blue frame braces being optional but something I'm considering to stiffen the chassis.

Dino has some very cool pics of the way one of his trucks is setup with a nascar-type skeleton up front, I used it as reference as well.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:26 PM   #13
mud.man.rj

So the frame will tilt with the hood or stay put and hood tilt only. Like the idea, sure is nice to work on the engine or area and super cool at a gas station, just the removal part will need to be as light as you can and stiff to as not to bend when removed. Interesting, looking forward to see what you come up with.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:22 AM   #14
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud.man.rj View Post
So the frame will tilt with the hood or stay put and hood tilt only. Like the idea, sure is nice to work on the engine or area and super cool at a gas station, just the removal part will need to be as light as you can and stiff to as not to bend when removed. Interesting, looking forward to see what you come up with.
The frame won't tilt. Just the front clip. You could cut the frame under the core support and have that tilt as well. I've considered it, but I'm keeping my frame in one piece. As for keeping it stiff, either building some type of frame for the hood and fenders or keeping the original core support attached will keep it stiff from twisting when tilted forward or lifted off.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:08 AM   #15
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I thought he was asking if the frame/core support I drew, would tilt with the setup or not?

In theory, no it would stay in place with the radiator etc mounted off of it. The actual clip may/may not need extra bracing. Its pretty dang solid steel, I'm not actually sure how much extra bracing would really be needed.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:43 AM   #16
low&slow
Account Suspended

I think to keep weight down, the core support would be the most you'd need to keep it sturdy. I haven't welded my hood to the fenders yet so I don't know how sturdy it would be without the core support attached. If its sturdy enough and doesn't twist when tilted or removed, I may just toss it and build a thin tube type mount for the clip to set back down on, keep it straight, and for a frame for the radiator. In all honesty, the radiator just needs a frame for the bottom as the hoses keep the radiator in one spot as is on top.

As for mud man, I think he was just asking in general.

As for your design with the tubes coming from the firewall, I have that in the plans as well. I think the front of them where they connect to the frame could be a good attachment point for the radiator frame maybe.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:04 PM   #17
mud.man.rj

My younger brother and I made a bolt together tilt hood assy on our 55 F100 when we were 15 years old and made basic hinges which tilted great but the hood moved around "a lot" when opened, kind of swayed in the wind and was killer heavy so to take off was a pain in the butt that is why I was comprehending some kind of inner structure for the hood and as for the front end itself it shouldn't need much of a structure for rigidity off the frame, maybe small bars from the frame up to firewall and a couple of cross bars or a tie into rad support, depends actually how it will be driven, abused or just cruised. All interesting concepts, waiting to see what works for you.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:06 PM   #18
mud.man.rj

Oh ya our hood weight also had hinges due to the fact we wanted the hood to open by itself as normal or tilt the whole assembly as one unit. Think we may have been smarter then than now..
Old 01-29-2015, 10:48 AM   #19
RatPwrd72

Here's my 1-Piece front end, fabricated from the original '67 sheet metal. This was done in 1984 when the Jegster front clip was installed, total weight savings, 450 lbs. There's very little body filler in it, my grandpa was a welder by trade and did this himself. It has an old school cool factor, but is a pain to open by yourself.

1967 Chevy Short Step Drag Truck-Iron Headed 468 Making Memories

My momma took me off the bottle years ago.....
RatPwrd72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:15 PM   #20
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Do you have a picture of the inside of that hood assembly while open?

Old 01-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #21
RatPwrd72

Quote:
Do you have a picture of the inside of that hood assembly while open?
Not handy, I don't. It's simply the factory hood with all of the bracing removed and the fenders are only the outer skin. The factory grill and cowl panel were all welded where they belong. It's fairly light, I can lift it easily by myself, but it's bulky to move without help.

1967 Chevy Short Step Drag Truck-Iron Headed 468 Making Memories

My momma took me off the bottle years ago.....
RatPwrd72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #22
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
I was bored, not sure who's pick I stole, but something like this from 1/2"-3/4" box tube, with the blue frame braces being optional but something I'm considering to stiffen the chassis.

Dino has some very cool pics of the way one of his trucks is setup with a nascar-type skeleton up front, I used it as reference as well.
A long, long time ago, I had thought about doing a lift-off front end, so I fabricated some forward bars to help stiffen things up front and for a possible foundation for a receiver like I've done on past race cars. I ended up scrapping the idea of the fiberglass one-piece front end, but kept the down bars and did a front motor plate for my Pontiac.

Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #23
low&slow
Account Suspended

Boy would I like to see the hinges on that red truck lol.

As for my progress, I may be over thinking things a little. Although my hinges I have drawn up will work and be light weight, I've found easier ways of doing it. So I guess back to the drawing board.

Not sure about you guys, but I'd like mine to look good, something different, and be easy to tilt and if need be, remove myself. My buddy and I both only way about 125 soaking wet and he and I can move a the whole front clip together, so I'm confident that I can remove the whole clip myself without having to even lift the whole thing off. Let alone not even have to lift it off the ground.

Just need to run to the store and see if they got what I'm needing to do this. I have the metal to make the bottom brace the hinges will attach to on the grille and I have the aluminum for the hinges. I just need to get a few misc things to make it all move.