The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
Tachout

Interior Guys stop in

I have a 1967 C20 with the bench seat. I am 5'10" so I am not all that tall. When I sit in my truck I feel like any time I hit a bump I am going to hit my head, and I feel like I am sitting way tall. Mind you I have a 90 Corvette so I am used to sitting on the ground, and I have a 2001 Suburban that is lowered in the front 4" and 2" in the rear and I drive it around with the seat as low as it will go.

Just wondering what the thoughts would be to taking my bench out and putting in a set of C4 Corvette Bucket Seats in the truck, with the seat raised off the floor and its height set so my eye sight is about middle of the windshield. Would my legs fit funny as I have the bench all the way back right now, and it is against the Fuel Tank.
Tachout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
jus2qwk

Re: Interior Guys stop in

I used a later model bench (79 c10 I think)and that did the trick for me. I'm 6 foot tall and my height is in my upper body so I feel your pain. My dads truck has the stock seat so I know just what you are talking about.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1103c...chevrolet-c10/
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=598758
jus2qwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
DWilbur

I 6'-5" tall and the truck cab is small for me so I'm building a 1969 quad cab to pick up some leg room and the suburban roof line is 1-1/2" taller.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=596036
DWilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Tachout

just2qwk thanks for the input.

DWilbur I checked out your build thread. Very Cool. Down the road I would like to give mine a shortened bed, with dually fenders and Dually aluminum alcoa wheels. I am wanting it to pull a 5th wheel trailer with my other car in it. I am also wanting to change mine to a Crew Cab. This is going to be quite some time down the road however, as I have a small project going in the garage now. I have back halved my C4 Corvette, added a 10 point (So Far) cage, and made a cross member for the trans. I am in the process of stretching the car so the small rear tires fit. They are 33X21.5 Mickey Thompson Sportsman Pro Tires. I am doing an old school drivetrain with a 8:71 blower on the 377 small block chevy, and will run Enderle Mechanical Fuel Injection and a magneto will distruibute the spark. Right now with that, a Convertible C4 that is getting an Engine and trans rebuild, and a daughter that races a Jr. Dragster it is just to much at once. I am going to try to wrap up my big project in the garage, and get the convertible back on the road so I can drive it, and then start working on the truck, but for now the truck was bought just to have transportation while I work in the other stuff. Mind you if I was going to buy basic transportation, I said why not buy what I want for a future project, and enjoy driving it while I can.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachout View Post
I have a 1967 C20 with the bench seat. I am 5'10" so I am not all that tall. When I sit in my truck I feel like any time I hit a bump I am going to hit my head, and I feel like I am sitting way tall. Mind you I have a 90 Corvette so I am used to sitting on the ground, and I have a 2001 Suburban that is lowered in the front 4" and 2" in the rear and I drive it around with the seat as low as it will go.

Just wondering what the thoughts would be to taking my bench out and putting in a set of C4 Corvette Bucket Seats in the truck, with the seat raised off the floor and its height set so my eye sight is about middle of the windshield. Would my legs fit funny as I have the bench all the way back right now, and it is against the Fuel Tank.
I'm a couple inches taller than you, but don't have that issue. Have you replaced your seat foam? It is probably as simple as your foam being too thick.
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
Tachout

Actually I just bought the truck a couple weeks ago so I do not know if it has been replaced or not.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachout View Post
Actually I just bought the truck a couple weeks ago so I do not know if it has been replaced or not.
I bet it has. How new is the cover?

You could always remove the foam and shave off a couple inches from the bottom half
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
MSHax

I'm 5'10" also, I found a great deal on a 2005 Silverado seat with the center seat/console, then had it reupholstered. I have one regret, I didn't get power. If you want more headroom, get power seats so you can drop it all the way down. The only real problem I have is that it's too close the the steering wheel, but the remedy to that is tilt steering. If you don't like bench, the vette seats work well, but the 69 camaro seats look really good, I've seen a truck with camaro seats in it, I was impressed.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
Sklptrljay

I'm about your height and had the same issue. I wanted to keep the the stock bench, so I built some custom brackets that lowered my seat 3", couldn't be happier.
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
Tinkermc

you can use any seat U want some take more work than others
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #11
Syndrome

When I was at my neighbors personal junk yard going through his 68-72 trucks looking for a seat then I noticed that they weren't all the same. Some of them sat me much higher than others. I picked one that sat me lower as I'm 6' and I'm more upper body than lower.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #12
bbcmudtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHax View Post
I'm 5'10" also, I found a great deal on a 2005 Silverado seat with the center seat/console, then had it reupholstered. I have one regret, I didn't get power. If you want more headroom, get power seats so you can drop it all the way down. The only real problem I have is that it's too close the the steering wheel, but the remedy to that is tilt steering. If you don't like bench, the vette seats work well, but the 69 camaro seats look really good, I've seen a truck with camaro seats in it, I was impressed.

Not to jack this thread, but I just posted a thread about using newer silverado seats. Anyway you could post some pics in there for me?
bbcmudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #13
leftybass209

There's a significant difference between full foam seats and spring seat height.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #14
kamikazekyle05

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcmudtruck View Post
Not to jack this thread, but I just posted a thread about using newer silverado seats. Anyway you could post some pics in there for me?
X2 im thinking about this swap too
kamikazekyle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
Steve Hafner

. . . .

I'm 5' 10" also. When I got my original seat back from being recovered ten years ago,
the new foam they put on it made the seat MUCH higher.

I just bought a new " original cloth " cover and plan to have the foam cut back a little to make it lower.
( I have to lean down just to reach the armrest on the door as you can see in the picture, below )

. . . .
Attached Images

Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
bbcmudtruck

I am curious as to whether or not a guy could kind of custom cut the foam to fit more like a bucket rather than a bench? That way I could keep the oe bench and have a better place to have my butt planted! Anyone tried this?
bbcmudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote