The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2020, 10:57 PM   #1
argonaut

How effective is Vintage Air in the Blazer?

I'm debating between a few options for adding AC to my non-AC Blazer, and I'm hoping that I can get some input from folks here who have experience using them.

Option 1) Piece together a factory installed AC system.

I already have several parts but still need more. I like that this system is integrated, keeps the cabin uncluttered, and allows proper integration of vent air and recirc air. But I think this option might be as much or more costly than buying a new system. My question is, how effective is the factory AC at cooling down the blazer, given its larger cabin area and less than stellar insulation? Do you use R-22 or R-134A?

Option 2) Refurbish my GM dealer option AC system.

My blazer was ordered with AC, but with the dealer installed, under-dash option. I like that it was an "original" part and fits decently well. I like that this setup keeps the original heater, with the core in the hot engine compartment, and the coil stays in the passenger cabin.
Maybe I can assemble a sanden compressor and new condenser/dryer/lines etc. from Vintage Air or Old Air. This seems like is would be the cheapest option so long as my valve is functional.

Option 3) Install the Vintage Air Sure-Fit kit.

I like the simplicity of doing this, but I worry about the following:
a) is the size of the heater core big enough that is can properly heat the cabin when its freezing out?
b) is the coil size enough to cool the Blazer cabin? I assume it works well for a pickup with a small cabin, but I'm skeptical about the blazer.

I'd like to hear advice and input. Thanks!

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote