The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2009, 08:25 AM   #26
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: 69 long fleet- First build

I'd hesitate to reuse the brake lines...especially any of the rubber ones. I have replaced all my rubber lines. My metal lines looked almost new so I am keeping those although many recommend replacing those as well.

What did you use on the driveshaft? Came out looking very good.

I will recommend replacing the carrier bearing on the shaft. These are known to fail on the 2pc driveshafts....according to many on here don't skimp on the cheapest one...try to get a decent one.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #27
VA72C10
VA72C10

I've seen others use the factory tank in the bed before. Works until you have the money for another style tank.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #28
0331grunt
Now what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
I'd hesitate to reuse the brake lines...especially any of the rubber ones. I have replaced all my rubber lines. My metal lines looked almost new so I am keeping those although many recommend replacing those as well.
I will be replacing the rubber lines, but the hard lines seem to be ok. Guess I'll find out
What did you use on the driveshaft? Came out looking very good.
I used a wire cup on an angle grinder and went over it with steel wool. It is in primer now, but no pics yet.
I will recommend replacing the carrier bearing on the shaft. These are known to fail on the 2pc driveshafts....according to many on here don't skimp on the cheapest one...try to get a decent one. I will be replacing most of the "normal wear items" like bearings and u-joints before it goes back together.

Thanks for looking and I'm getting some ideas/motivation from your build!

"The quality of a persons life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." ~ Vince Lombardi

"A dream doesn't become reality through magic, it takes sweat, determination and hard work." ~ Colin Powell

my, um, build

USMC OIF Veteran SEMPER FI!
0331grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #29
0331grunt
Now what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
I've seen others use the factory tank in the bed before. Works until you have the money for another style tank.
It may have to work for now and who knows, I may like it

"The quality of a persons life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." ~ Vince Lombardi

"A dream doesn't become reality through magic, it takes sweat, determination and hard work." ~ Colin Powell

my, um, build

Old 10-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #30
The Big Green

Looking good man! I can't wait till the wife and I get to rebuild her '67. This makes me want to go buy a few little parts and start tearing down. I have to be a shadetree mechanic and the cold weathers coming on fast.
The Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #31
0331grunt
Now what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Green View Post
Looking good man! I can't wait till the wife and I get to rebuild her '67. This makes me want to go buy a few little parts and start tearing down. I have to be a shadetree mechanic and the cold weathers coming on fast.
I know the feeling.. My "shade tree" is losing it's leaves!! My garage needs to be cleaned out so maybe it will motivate me to do that!

my, um, build

Old 11-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #32
0331grunt
Now what??

Well, I got some more done this weekend. I'll post some pics a little later. Got the cab stripped of just about everything and off the frame. Now I need to pressure wash it and start cleaning it up...

my, um, build

Old 11-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #33
The Big Green

Fun parts done, now the cleaning of the parts and putting back together. I like the build up process also. It's fun seeing the trucks come together. Can't wait to see pics! Someday I'll tear my 67 down and paint my green frame lol. I like the color ok but it's just Etching Primer and it will start rusting if I don't get off my butt and paint it lol.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #34
0331grunt
Now what??

Well, here are some pics of what I did this weekend.. Had my youngest making sure that I did it right and my oldest making sure that it is fun! I have some ideas for the dash, nothing fancy, but subtle changes and may be a good chance to try out some metal skills Be a little while down the road, a good winter project! Any way, thanks for looking
Attached Images

my, um, build

Old 11-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #35
The Big Green

It's suppose to be nice all week, shows 60's. It's a good week for working on our rides. What's the plans on interior color scheme? That's my biggest problem I can't decide what I want, so many choices
Old 11-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #36
0331grunt
Now what??

I am looking forward to the nice weather, just hope I can take advantage of it at some point. I plan to go with the Hugger Orange with White cab top and all trim outside, some rally wheels or Cragar S/S (like the big wheels, but for what I'm going for, it's not gonna fit- maybe next time). I think I will go with a repro grille that is smooth with the billet inserts, smooth repro tailgate with some script lettering for CHEVROLET I am planning to smooth some of the dash where the radio/heater controls/ashtray are and put some brushed stainless like the gauge cover was. Or just smooth it and paint.. we'll see. I want to make it subtle, yet custom at the same time. A late model GM 60/40 bench or something and cover it with black vinyl/ houndstooth inserts for the "original" look. Probably no headliner, all Hugger Orange with black vinyl here and there inside. I've got some ideas, just trying to make them work... Let the fun begin!! My overall theme will be a subtle, tasteful (at least to me) touches throughout the whole truck. Hope it turns out that way!!

my, um, build

Last edited by 0331grunt; 11-02-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #37
0331grunt
Now what??

Took a day off work Friday- beautiful November weather! Got the fram down to the big shop and power washed it. Looks pretty good, now gotta clean the nooks and crannies, grind it (or get my sand blaster for my birthday) and get it primed, painted and back together. My 8 y/o wants to be able to go the local spring cruise in it next year... I better get a move on!!
Attached Images

my, um, build

Old 11-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #38
0331grunt
Now what??

more pics
Attached Images

my, um, build

Old 11-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #39
0331grunt
Now what??

I mentioned my gauge cluster/glove box... this is what I am going to use on some of the dash pieces. I still have a large panel of good stuff without scuffs and nicks that my stepdad used, so I will use it for new panels when the time comes, but you can kinda get the idea. Painted my old Performer manifold, still not sure if I'm gonna use it, tho.. The drawings aren't Slick67 caliber, but my boys and I decided to make a rendering of our own. Maybe with some more time/practice, he may be as good as Chip Foose some day!
Attached Images

my, um, build

Old 11-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #40
VA72C10
VA72C10

Frame looks good as do the bezels. The renderings are good. Tell your boys they did a good job!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #41
0331grunt
Now what??

Well, haven't gotten anything done lately... One of my boys turned 6 on Saturday and my birthday is on the 26th (Thanksgiving day!), so we had a party on Sunday. My grandmother had a cake made- looks pretty cool! It looks just like the grooms cake from when my mom and stepdad got married (the one who used to own the truck). Also is a pic of what I got for my birthday. New things are always cool. Now I can get some more stuff done, but I need to clean out some space for ANYTHING to get done! Maybe some more pics soon..
Attached Images

my, um, build

Old 11-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #42
VA72C10
VA72C10

Cool cake and nice new compressor...now get back out there and work on that thing (look who's talking-I haven't done much on mine lately either)
Old 11-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #43
The Big Green

Pics aren't showing up, my cell I guess. I'll have to get on the laptop later today after work. Happy early B-day man and on the little ones 6th!
Old 12-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #44
0331grunt
Now what??

Well, haven't done much to the truck, but.. I do have a place to put it inside. At least a piece at a time ... I will get the frame in and done very soon and then start on the body work. This has been quite a challenge between work, work, family and a little more work! But like most of us here, it is such a stress reliever. Especially when I can get out by myself and just forget about things for a while. I read another thread where the Marine mentioned PTSD from Iraq, I can completely relate and this is the BEST therapy EVER for that!! I need to get a move on....
Attached Images

my, um, build

Old 12-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #45
0331grunt
Now what??

Thought this was hilarious! (no offense to my Army Brothers out there, but you gotta laugh, too )
Attached Images

my, um, build

Old 12-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #46
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

nice progress. I like your cab lift!

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #47
Original67
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0331grunt View Post
I also got some items cleaned up, primed and ready to paint. My 8 y/o likes to help when its good for him.. I didn't get a pic of them in primer, but they are looking good. I went ahead and cleaned up my brake lines, too. I guess I'll try to reuse them, is this a good idea?
Keep the kids busy it will be a great experience for them. Called my dad at the start of my current project 67' LWB and told him that I was sorry for all the times that he wanted me to help but I was to busy with my own stuff (even at 8 we have our own stuff man). I missed out on so many things including a complete frame construction for a 37 chevy prostreet. Man could I have learned so much.

All I ask is teach the kids the proper safety. (Googles, Gloves, ear plugs) Even at 31 I am still old school and dont do it but I always try to make sure the boy does.
Original67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #48
0331grunt
Now what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67chevytruck View Post
I like your cab lift!
Like we say.. improvise. adapt. overcome!
Thanks for the comments. Not as far as you, but it is coming along. Hopefully the frame will see some progress this weekend, now that I can work inside!

my, um, build

Old 12-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #49
0331grunt
Now what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original67 View Post
Keep the kids busy it will be a great experience for them. Called my dad at the start of my current project 67' LWB and told him that I was sorry for all the times that he wanted me to help but I was to busy with my own stuff (even at 8 we have our own stuff man). I missed out on so many things including a complete frame construction for a 37 chevy prostreet. Man could I have learned so much.

All I ask is teach the kids the proper safety. (Googles, Gloves, ear plugs) Even at 31 I am still old school and dont do it but I always try to make sure the boy does.
I try to get them involved as much as they can be. I don't push, but they like to get out some with me. I am the same way with safety items, but the boys don't usually come around when it gets 'loud', but I need to keep that in mind!
You'll have to check out the Oklahoma section and meet up next spring.. I might try to make the OKC area meet myself. Seems to be some interesting fellows here

my, um, build

Old 12-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #50
0331grunt
Now what??

Well, finally got some room in the garage to put some more stuff. Rolled the frame in and I actually have about 12" on either side to work but at least I can turn my little heater on and warm up (a little). I got some of the front suspension diassembled and continued cleaning up what I've got. Get some more pics soon, but this is all I took over the weekend.
Attached Images

my, um, build