The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #1151
rusty76

Re: Restoring Rusty

Cool.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:54 PM   #1152
Gregski
Post Whore

Perhaps a final Fuel Problem update before we put this issue to bed and move on to something else, leaking, squeaking, or ticking...

At lunch time the truck started fine on a second try (perhaps since I did not crank it long enuff on the first try) but it fired, ran, and I drove it a bit, all went well

so that's that, about to head home soon
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #1153
OldBlue4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
If this works, then I am guessing a clogged / dirty inline fuel filter? Maybe the particles are so small the filter does not have to look like the bottom of my aquarium back in college to be considered dirty, who knows!?
I'm no fuel filter expert by any means, but when I slapped one of these exact same "sick looking" glass filters on my truck and one on my car, I thought I was the man...until my uncle, his buddies, some auto techs at work, and a few other people more old car savvy than myself told me they were a horrible choice and I should replace ASAP. It's been a while, so I can't remember exactly their reasons, but nonetheless, I think they're bad news. When no one mentioned this to you, I figured I had just been misinformed and they were fine to use, until you encountered your problems...
But I'm glad to hear Rusty's doing better now.
1986 Monte Carlo SS
"It'll Pass Anything, But A Gas Station"
OldBlue4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #1154
rgunlock

I've seen a number of threads on this site about folks that had bad engine fires that were blamed on glass fuel filters cracking or breaking. No personal experience with them, but for my build I'm sticking to the metal canister type inline fuel filters just on principal. I'm betting the problem was the kink in the rubber line on yours - glad to hear its behaving now!

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #1155
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich weyand View Post
Some of those fuel filters have a one-way check valve. Now, I am not saying you put it on backwards, but, um, did you put it on backwards?
Glad it's fixed.
Speaking of valves ...
If it was for a Quadrajet, I'd check this valve can go sideways and block the gas flow.
I removed mine
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #1156
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
Glad it's fixed.
Speaking of valves ...
If it was for a Quadrajet, I'd check this valve can go sideways and block the gas flow.
I removed mine
Dang I didn't even know there was a valve for the Q-Jet carbs and I even replaced my fuel filter in it. I bet some guys are lucky if theirs has the spring, mine didn't and and leaked pretty bad till I put one in, but again didn't know there was a valve to go with it.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:20 PM   #1157
Gregski
Post Whore

let me catch you up on what me and Rusty have been up to the last couple days...

I've been dealing with Tires Squel When I Brake - Why? issue that I brought up in a different thread.

What I thought was tire noise coming from the front brakes when I braked, was actually coming from the rear on the passenger side.

So I bought two new Wheel Cylinders (and learned they are not called brake cylinders, go figure) $9 bucks each, and spent one evening replacing them, here are some pics
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #1158
Gregski
Post Whore

I was able to replace both slave WHEEL cylinders without tearing apart the entire brake bracketry springatalogy ecosystem, not my style as I like to do things right and take it all apart and clean it, but I just wanted to stop traumatizing pedestrians at crosswalks if you know what I mean

replacing the bad cylinder (both technically) stopped the truck from squeelin like a pig when I brake now as well as both of them now have a matching 5/16ths Zirk bleed nipples instead of one being 3/8ths (which bugged The Greg)
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2015, 07:29 PM   #1159
Gregski
Post Whore

tonight, it's Friday night and it's time to tie up some loose ends, when we yanked the transmission we ordered a new boot / gator for the shifter, as well as new pedal pads when we pulled the clutch and brake pedal twins

so here is a looksie at the replacements, complements of LMC Truck
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2015, 07:30 PM   #1160
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty - New Shifter Boot

slipping on the new shifter gator was easy

second pic - old and new boots, (the old one is on the left, I love telling you guys the obvious)
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #1161
Gregski
Post Whore

I checked my order twice and specifically ordered the 74-84 pedal set, instead of the 1973 type, yet what did Rusty come with, the darn '73 gas pedal... will this bother The Greg?

Lesson Learned - Earlier model years used prior year parts, GM loved doing that.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2015, 10:07 PM   #1162
68post

Quote:
I checked my order twice and specifically ordered the 74-84 pedal set, instead of the 1973 type, yet what did Rusty come with, the darn '73 gas pedal... will this bother The Greg?

Lesson Learned - Earlier model years used prior year parts, GM loved doing that.
Yes they do... always be wary of being close to a changeover year, it does happen every freakin time (ask me how I know ). My 2000 3500HD , order body parts and engine parts for a '96 diesel suburban , mechanical/ undercarriage parts for a '9x one ton, Bilstein made rear shocks but not front shocks, ...etc..
94 K1500 lifted shortbed 350 4 bbl NV4500
68post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:40 PM   #1163
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty - Meet Joe Good E. Nuff

alright guys, Greg had to step away for a minute talkin' about a wire wheel and some paint for this gas pedal bracket or something

so I decided to put them rubber pads on the pedals for him and mount the gas pedal real quick, for those of you who don't know me my name is Joe, but Greg's Ol' Lady calls me Joe Good E. Nuff (I have no idea why?)
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2015, 10:47 PM   #1164
Gregski
Post Whore

with the forecast expecting 80* in sunny Kalifornia this weekend it was time to prep the replacement used fender for a coat of green

so I washed it, wire wheeled the rust off of it (as much as I could) and coated it with primer over the raw metal spots before tucking it in for the night
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2015, 11:37 PM   #1165
cnorth

Hey Greg sorry to interrupt the painting but is this the same z bar bushings that you got from summit, I found these at the autozone, they call them help/clutch linkage bushing
Attached Images

cnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:50 PM   #1166
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorth View Post
Hey Greg sorry to interrupt the painting but is this the same z bar bushings that you got from summit, I found these at the autozone, they call them help/clutch linkage bushing
No sir, these are not it, do not buy this stuff. This is for transmission linkage for some other car. I bought this thinking that I can use one of them for the clutch pedal hole that accepts the push rod that goes down through the floor, but it did not work, I ended up smashing it with a mallet and it just shattered, its the thing in the top hole in this pic, the white looking thing
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2015, 11:54 PM   #1167
cnorth

Ok gotcha. when are you going to write a book of knowledge
Old 03-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #1168
Gregski
Post Whore

lets git sum paint
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #1169
Gregski
Post Whore

since we have to paint both sides of this front fender (or at least the upper half of the inside, the part that shows above the wheel well) I hope 3 cans of paint plus a third semi flat will do

$70 bucks but this is a factory color match to spec (sort of crazy as our original paint had 40 years to fade and flatten out) but hey IT'S A TRUCK!
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2015, 03:30 PM   #1170
Gregski
Post Whore

after owning 3 Harbor Freight angle grinders, it was time to treat myself to one that works, I am no name brand jockey but this DeWalt is nice

the first of the Harbor Freight ones the Orange kind lasted me 3 years, the new redish style ones are terrible, the second one of the red ones broke on day one, that button you push in to remove or put on the wheel broke on the inside, these are junk (surprise)
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2015, 03:38 PM   #1171
Gregski
Post Whore

fender with a coat of primer over the raw metal bits

Greg, aint you gonna fix / bondo those small dents... Dents? What dents? Those aren't dents, those are love bites, and we don't mask love bites!
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #1172
Titomars

Quote:
after owning 3 Harbor Freight angle grinders, it was time to treat myself to one that works, I am no name brand jockey but this DeWalt is nice

the first of the Harbor Freight ones the Orange kind lasted me 3 years, the new redish style ones are terrible, the second one of the red ones broke on day one, that button you push in to remove or put on the wheel broke on the inside, these are junk (surprise)
I have been using a Makita 4 1/2 inch grinder for at least 10 years. It does not show any signs of giving it up any time soon.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #1173
Gregski
Post Whore

one last wipe with some Good Natured Alcohol and into the [organic] climate controlled [by mother nature] paint booth

naturally we are back lit, so the photos will be very NASA moon landingish [ahem] questionable
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #1174
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titomars View Post
I have been using a Makita 4 1/2 inch grinder for at least 10 years. It does not show any signs of giving it up any time soon.
Yup, my wife got me a Makita cordless drill over 20 years ago and I manage to have dropped it a couple times off of patio covers and second story balconies an stair cases on to concrete and she takes a lickin' and keeps on ... drillin'
Old 03-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #1175
cnorth

$70 bucks but this is a factory color match to spec (sort of crazy as our original paint had 40 years to fade and flatten out) but hey IT'S A TRUCK

That is very cool, so the paint store mixed a rattle can of spray paint??