The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2019, 07:45 PM   #1
mikebte

Resolving my Radio issue

One day long ago my sun roof was left open in the rain, as a result everything got good and wet. The radio did not respond well and has since been super Dim and difficult to see. I decided I would tackle the repair with no clue of what I was getting into. I figured as with most cars I could replace the face plate. I went to the junk yard and nabbed the first one I saw. Brought it home for $10 and took mine apart to make the repair. That's were it stops. Almost every radio while similar on the outside is a little different under the mask. All the cars have a board with LEDS under each button and others have a light transfer. So back to the salvage yard to find on similar to mine. Not one truck on the yard, so I'm working with GM cars. I found another one looking right and back to the house. Removed it all a 2nd time and would ya know another different design. No fan power on the replacemwnt and small readout. Wow. Ok. So I ordered another parts radio with a working display that I can bread with mine to repair the display. Return to the job next week when the correct part number radio arrives

As it is around $100-$200 to have a a replacement radio unlocked and at lease $300-$400 for a quality aftermarket my goal is to complete the repair under $50. I am not sure if this will work, but if needed I can rob parts off my replacement and repair the old.
Attached Images

mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote