The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
kipps

electric fan or mechanical?

I was planning to install a mechanical fan, but I'm second guessing myself. The harness/fusebox I'm using is already set up for dual electric, so it wouldn't be that involved. I don't have AC.

Would you go with electric or mechanical? Why?
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: electric fan or mechanical?

Not every LS pullout motor was originally installed in a vehicle that had mechanical fans, so most of us will just run electric for the sake of ease and control.

There are a couple members who run mechanical, tho usually just because it came on the motor that way. We have 1 or 2 i know who intentionally went mechanical due to heavy duty use.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
goofy063

depends on the room you have i was going to use the clutch fan on my 65 but with stock rad and battery location theres not enough room
goofy063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #4
Macdaddy1

I started out mechanical but could not find a fan housing that fit my new radiator so i went with a taurus electrical fan.
Macdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
65blackfleetside

I find mechanical fans to take up lots of room- They are always a pain when changing the water pump and never want to come off easily. They rob power from the motor and do not cool as well as an electric fan while sitting in traffic.

Than being said - mechanical fans are also simpler and Less likely to stop working.

My LS had an electric fan already wired into the ECM so it was a no brainer for me.

Plus I dont think I would have the extra room required to install a mechanical fan??

I would venture to say you need an additional 4-6" of room to go mechanical.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:39 PM   #6
mongocanfly
Post Whore

On my truck the mech fan didnt center up in the fan shroud.....electric fans took care of this issue...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:44 PM   #7
Rich84

I have a stock electric fan on my stepside and it makes for a much easier and neater install. Leaves plenty of room for a stock air intake.
I have a mechanical on my longbed and it works great, but there is not enough room for the shroud and air intake. Running it for now with no upper shroud and it still runs at 195* all day long. Big block shroud looks shorter might try that.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:17 PM   #8
kipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
...We have 1 or 2 i know who intentionally went mechanical due to heavy duty use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65blackfleetside View Post
...do not cool as well as an electric fan while sitting in traffic.
Are both of these statements correct? Can anyone corroborate? This truck will spend time idling in heat, and (hopefully) will be seeing some heavier towing as well.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:02 PM   #9
Steve Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
Are both of these statements correct? Can anyone corroborate? This truck will spend time idling in heat, and (hopefully) will be seeing some heavier towing as well.
As you know, the mechanical fan only turns as fast as the engine turns, so if you are idling in traffic, it isn't turning very fast where as the electric fans (most) will run at 100% every time they come on. Mine will come on at about 60% and ramp up as needed. I really don't see any advantage to a mechanical fan other than cost and simplicity.
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:35 AM   #10
ls1nova71

I guess you should run an electric fan because every truck made before sometime around 2006 had cooling problems.....

I always use mechanical fans when possible because I find them to be more reliable. They have cooled every truck I have built just fine. I have never had mechanical fan melt down a weatherpack connector outside of Hoover dam and had to limp it into Vegas, shutting the car off at every stop light on the strip to keep it from over heating, then had to find a Pep Boys in the morning to get butt connectors to wire it back up and get it going again. But that could never happen, right?

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

C'mon, you don't keep a roll of electrical tape and a few zip ties in the cab? Im disheartened.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #12
nsb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
I guess you should run an electric fan because every truck made before sometime around 2006 had cooling problems.....

I always use mechanical fans when possible because I find them to be more reliable. They have cooled every truck I have built just fine. I have never had mechanical fan melt down a weatherpack connector outside of Hoover dam and had to limp it into Vegas, shutting the car off at every stop light on the strip to keep it from over heating, then had to find a Pep Boys in the morning to get butt connectors to wire it back up and get it going again. But that could never happen, right?
I made that trip in the mid-60s in a 34 ford flat head with plywood floor boards and a few unnecessary holes in the firewall can guarantee it gets hot enough in the summer to melt just about anything especially your date LOL
nsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:03 AM   #13
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
I made that trip in the mid-60s in a 34 ford flat head with plywood floor boards and a few unnecessary holes in the firewall can guarantee it gets hot enough in the summer to melt just about anything especially your date LOL
That's funny. I did it about 8 years ago in a '33 Ford, with an LS1 and the A/C on blast the whole time. Was on my way to Palm Desert and went through 29 Palms! I'm pretty sure it must have been high resistance in that connector that made it melt down, but why it decided to do it at that time I just don't know.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:32 PM   #14
nsb29

Do you remember the route you took from Vegas to 29
nsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:29 PM   #15
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
Do you remember the route you took from Vegas to 29
I don't remember the exact roads, but it was the most direct route, straight through the Mojave desert.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:40 PM   #16
whitels1

Quote:
I happen to live in Vegas where it's brutally hot all the time so here's my experiences. I had a 2002 Avalance 5.3 with a mechanical fan and it never got hot, ever. Towing, pulling baker grade etc. I've also had other late model LS trucks, all had electric fans and they never got hot. The issue with electric fans is, that you can't just run down to the auto parts store and put a hayden on it. You either need to spend some money on a good aftermarket fan or use some kind of factory set up. I use 98 windstar fans on my K10 with a/c, and no cooling issues.

GoldyLS1 K20 Build

My K10 Rock Crawler

-Dave
whitels1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #17
kipps

Everyone mentions using Ford minivan or taurus fans. Are there any Chevy fans that have a good chance of fitting? I'm using the 2010 fusebox and a portion of the 2010 wiring. I have perfectly good wires from that fusebox to the factory fan plugs. The fans were trashed in the accident, though.

While I haven't measured(I should), I'm told the 2010 fans are too large to fit the squarebody radiator.

If had some idea what to look for at the pick-and-pull, I wouldn't mind getting a chevy fan that plugs right in.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:18 PM   #18
Macdaddy1

I went on to Rockauto site and put in different year fans and used the site to measure the radiator until I found one that fit my aluminum radiator. It just so happened that it was a Taurus.
Macdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:31 PM   #19
66 C10 383

I'm a long way from being ready for the cooling system aspect of my truck, though I have been thinking about this very issue. My 5.3 has the mechanical fan on it. On one hand I'd like to run the mechanical for the simplicity but I know the electric fans should give a little better fuel mileage.

I plan on driving my truck long distances (hopefully LoL) when I get it running so replacement parts on the road are a concern. Like mentioned, I've been looking at some type of OEM electric fan(s).

I have a 66 which uses a smaller radiator than the squarebody you mentioned. I "think" I can adapt a pair of the 3rd Gen (82-92) Camaro electric fans to my smaller radiator. From what I can tell by looking at dimensions of my 66 C10 radiator and both the 3rd Gen & 4th Gen (93-02) Camaros radiators, they are similar in size in looking at the actual core dimensions (rather than looking at the overall size of the tanks, etc). Most aftermarket electric fan setups for my truck (with associated $800 - $1000 + price tags …) call for either dual 11" fans or a single 16". I believe the Camaro fans might be dual 12" fans so I may not be able to adapt them.

With you having the larger squarebody radiator, you might try looking at some of these fans.

Regardless, I want something I can go to almost any parts store or salvage yard and get replacement parts to fix my truck when I'm a few hundred miles from home if need be.

Old Build Thread - 383/T56
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=540838

Updated Build Thread - Modern Relic - 66 C10 536 Dark Aqua
5.3/4L60E - BTR Stage IV Truck Cam - Vintage Air - Dakota Digital
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=778784
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #20
ls1nova71

Quote:
Everyone mentions using Ford minivan or taurus fans. Are there any Chevy fans that have a good chance of fitting? I'm using the 2010 fusebox and a portion of the 2010 wiring. I have perfectly good wires from that fusebox to the factory fan plugs. The fans were trashed in the accident, though.

While I haven't measured(I should), I'm told the 2010 fans are too large to fit the squarebody radiator.

If had some idea what to look for at the pick-and-pull, I wouldn't mind getting a chevy fan that plugs right in.
I used a set of '98-'02 F body fans in my LTD swap and my '59 Chevy wagon swap and they fit pretty well, don't remember the exact measurements but should be pretty close.