The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
ATVYP

Uncle Howard's 1946 Chevy Truck

My Great, Great Uncle Howard purchased this Chevrolet Truck new in 1946, soon after WW2 had ended. He was a hunch-back farmer from Maynard, IA. He was never married, and there are no pictures of him (I understand he was embarrassed of his appearance. I believe he was barely 4' tall). My Grandmother was very close to him, and he took her to CA when she was 16 to visit family (I believe back in the 30's). Long story short (I will fill the details in a later post), my dad had been telling me for years that he was going to pass the old tuck on to me, but I didn't think it would happen anytime soon. To my surprise, Dad towed the old truck down July 10' with the title and some money to repair the front end.
Attached Images

ATVYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
ATVYP

Re: Uncle Howard's 1946 Chevy Truck

Currently, I am in the process of installing Flat Out Engineering's IFS and IRS kit. It has taken a little longer than hoped (with 3 of my own children and a busy youth ministry position), but I use this as my "guy time" when I need to get away!

I purchased the parts from Just Corvettes in St. Charles, MO (just North West of St. Louise). They are great guys to work with, and I was very impressed. I spent a little more than I had originally planned, but the donor car was practically a show car that had cosmetic damage to the roof, but less than 50k miles. This way I won't have to replace bushings, bearings, parts - and those things are where the real money would have added up. This is a nearly new condition and will save lots of money in the long run.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
flatbed51

WOW!!!!! What a cool story, and a gem of a truck to start with. I can't wait to see your progress with it. I am subscribed to this thread. Don

48,49,50 Chevy trucks. 41 Olds
flatbed51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
ATVYP

When my grandma's uncle Howard passed away, my grandma's parents used the old farm truck. When they passed away in the late 60's, my grandma wanted the old truck for sentimental reasons, but my grandfather was a poor farmer and not very mechanically inclined (to say the least) so he wanted nothing to do with it. My dad purchased the old truck for grandma, and they brought it home and it set in her machine shed for years.

The last time it had been licensed was 1978, when my uncle Glen used it to deliver eggs before school. Grandma caught word that he had been drag racing the old bird and made him park it, where it sat collecting dust. I was very close with my grandparents, and spent several summers with them. I always remember the old truck sitting in a corner of the machine shed, and it was one of those things that we always stayed away from. It had so much dust and was so oxidized that we always thought it was light blue.

The summer of 89' (between my 8th and 9th grades), grandma told my dad he could have the truck back. We pulled it out of the shed, and after washing the dust off we realized it was actually dark blue with black fenders. After replacing a short piece of fuel line under the bed, they pulled it around the round farmhouse driveway with a tractor and it started right up the second pass! They drove it on the trailer after setting so long.

Dad and I worked on it all through high school. He didn't finish it until I was in college, but it was always something we had fun with. He and I are very different, and have very different tastes and ideas, but the old truck was always fun to look at and be around.

Dad isn't really known for having much patience. After several years of tinkering with the old truck, he lost interest and it set for the past 7-8 years in his garage. The front end was very loose, and he wasn't up to tearing back into it. When he towed it down for me, he said I was welcome to do anything I wanted to do with it. I've already had a ball and can't wait to complete my toy!
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2011, 01:14 AM   #5
YBNORML

Cool story, and a sweet little truck. My uncle has a 46 GMC that I have been after him for years to get back on the road. Part of me wants him to get it on the road, the other part of me wants him to give up on it and sell it to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Wootdog

Thumbs up Re: Uncle Howard's 1946 Chevy Truck

Sweet Truck. Growing up, that sort of project is what kept my Dad and I talking. We worked on so many old trucks and cars together. When we started out, I just handed him wrenches. Then as I watched, he handed his knowledge down to me. That is why I love these old trucks so much now. Now get back to the garage and get that pretty truck back on the road.
Kerry
Wootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
fishmunger

wow, what an awesome truck. my dad has a 46, and now that I'm done with school, I really want to fix it up with him. It's a driver, but needs TLC.
fishmunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

That is awesome. I love reading the stories of the trucks that have been passed down through the family. Can't wait to see where you go with it in the future.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
ATVYP

Things have been so busy, I've only been able to work on my project 1 day a week (well, some of the day anyway). I'm hoping to be able to do more soon. But meanwhile I thought I would update the progress. I am waiting for a reply from Don McNeil with Flat Out Engineering about where the IRS Trailing are brackets are located. The instructions said some of the 46' frames had a bolt hole that will line up. Mine doesn't.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
ATVYP

I promised myself I would rest before beginning this next big weekend, but I'm way too high strung to stop long enough! I thought I'd fill in some gaps of my story. I grew up in a Chicago suberb (Algonquin) and moved to the Quad Cities after graduating high school to attend a diesel tech school in Bettendorf, IA. Looking back in hindsight, I see God's hand often protected mr from making really bad mistakes. When I graduated college a GREAT job at the Cummins distributor opened up, I married a great girl I went to church with, we bought a little house with a big garage, and I thought life was over. Well, God had different plans! In 99' we sold our house and all our stuff and moved to Nashville, TN to attend the Free Will Baptist Bible College for youth ministry. It took me 7 1/2 years to complete my Bachelors degree, but it was a great season of life. I worked for Cummins CrossPoint (previously Great Plains), attended school, was the part time Youth Pastor for the great church Good Springs FWB where we lived in the parsonage, and God blessed us with 3 kids (last two where buy-one-pay-twice-as-much-for-second twins). I loved my job at Cummins! I worked my way into having the opportunity to be one of the difficult-to-diagnose techs. I had the priveledge to be trained on all the new products, work on new trucks, and do lots of cool motor home work (many of them cost $300,000 - $1 Million - very professional clientele. Truck drivers are mad the second they break down, even if it's their fault). That job only came after replacing 100s of M11 service blocks! Then in 07 I gradraduated college, was ordained, and moved to MO to serve as the full time Youth Pastor of Fellowship Free Will Baptist Church. I've been very blessed to serve two of the greatest congregations out there! And this old truck has helped me keep my mechanical skills sharpened, when able to take time off.

I hope this added info didn't boar or offend anyone. As I read through the other forums I recognized some are strictly for business, but others are not. I really enjoyed getting to know the story behind the story. If I can help anyone with a Cummins related problem feel free to message me. I also keep my Facebook updated with all my new pics of progress on Uncle Howard's 46'. Feel free to friend me (Facebook, David Inman).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
old yelr

That's an nice truck and a geat project! I love the body lines of the art deco trucks.
I have a 1940 Chevy 1/2 ton project that I would like to get to someday so I will be watching your progress on the IFS/IRS swap because I have been thinking about the same setup Keep up the great work and pictures!
old yelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
LeftCoast32
Custom Builder

Great build, keep us posted on your proress!

Thanks for sharing the history of the '46 and yourself! God Bless!!
LeftCoast32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:53 PM   #13
ATVYP

Here are some updated photos. I'll explain more later.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #14
ATVYP

A couple more pics from recent progress. I'm hoping to be able to spend tomorrow getting more done.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2011, 01:19 AM   #15
Pop's C-10

subs

nice build
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:25 AM   #16
ATVYP

I have made an extreme effort to work on my toy at least one day a week. It has been very good for me, because stressful things just seem to vanish when I become consumed in my garage! That is a good thing! I have posted more pics than normal because I would have learned a lot of things and saved myself some time if I could have seen other's examples (or if there where instructions for the 41-46. The 47 up kit works, but many things - including measurements - are different for the 46). If anyone would like to know the measurements I used, send me a message. I wonder if I should write them all in a future post anyway? Things are going VERY well! I am in hot pursuit to find a set of 90's up Vette rims and tires now.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #17
old yelr

Looks great!! Here's a link to a super nice build using Flat Out components on a 46 Chevy. I think you might get alot of ideas or just like to see how things could turn out for your truck. Hope this is useful for you! Keep up the great work and pictures

http://public.fotki.com/radiowaves88...hevy-pickup-s/
Old 12-17-2011, 12:15 AM   #18
ATVYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by old yelr View Post
Looks great!! Here's a link to a super nice build using Flat Out components on a 46 Chevy. I think you might get alot of ideas or just like to see how things could turn out for your truck. Hope this is useful for you! Keep up the great work and pictures

http://public.fotki.com/radiowaves88...hevy-pickup-s/
Thanks! I had actually found his project and have consulted it a few times. Thanks for sharing, because I'm sure there are several others who will want to see this extremely quality build.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #19
ATVYP

I have gotten lots done. I had to move the rack notch plate holes back about 1/4" then I first measured because it fit so much better and was easier to remove and install the rack. I have seen pictures of several of these jobs done, and I am not always pleased with the way the inside of the frame is modified. I went the extra step and made plates that weld in front of the Flat Out Boxing plate, and I welded them smoothly into the front crossmember. I have a little more grinding and cosmetic work to do, but you can see the main idea.

When I am all done with all the course welding and work, I am going to take everything back apart and mount on a reciprocating tool so I can weld / grind much easier - with gravity working for me!
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2011, 12:50 AM   #20
ATVYP

I have been working hard, and it's getting really exciting now! I was not aware of this initially, but I had to notch the frame where the upper control arm interferes on the top rear. It's not a big deal, and I will box it in with a piece of tube (when I get to the metal yard I'll get a piece). The fit of everything is just great. Flat Out Engineering does some very quality work! I have been very pleased with everything I have seen.

Right now I am just mocking everything up and doing the dirty work. I will eventually take everything apart, clean / paint / polish, and go together with correct tightness and change some fasteners.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #21
old yelr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVYP View Post
Thanks! I had actually found his project and have consulted it a few times. Thanks for sharing, because I'm sure there are several others who will want to see this extremely quality build.
I figured there was a good chance that you had seen that build but I thought I would post it anyway. Super nice truck
Progress looks great !!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #22
ATVYP

This is one of the weeks guys like us live for. I didn't necessarily have that much time to spend, but everything fell together perfectly. I stand back and just stare in unbelief how much I have been enjoying this.

To make matters even better, I ran across a set of C6 rims in great shape from a guy moving (rear rubber not so good). Fronts are 245/40/18 with 18" X 8.5 rims and the rears are 285/35/19 with 19 X 10 rims. The rears included spacers, helping it fit even better. Life is good, God is great to me!

I have some more work to do on the rear suspension and bed.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #23
Pop's C-10

Tha whhel look good on there.
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #24
ATVYP

I've been hard at work. I'll write a better explanation later, but here is some pics.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #25
ATVYP

As I day thumbed through hoards of car and truck magazines, I had a thought about tilting the bed, but it seemed more like a far-fetched dream than a real possibility. But as I considered showing off the C4 IRS, and mounting the battery on the frame rail and the boost on the frame behind the cab, it seemed more practical than just dream.

I started by notching a 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 slot in the bed support rails and laid a modified square tubing that I capped the ends. I did not want it too look cheesy, but my goal has always been to appear factory as possible. After some homework and thinking, I also wanted to adjust it any way possible. What I came up with is found in the pics below.

To tilt the bed, I am working on purchasing gas-filled springs to lift. The electric actuators are neat, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much money. It is not a very heavy bed, but I want to lift it safely, and secure it safely too. I looked through oodles of forums checking for other good ideas for tilting beds, but I was really surprised how few well documented articles I could find, especially conceding hinges. I've seen many that I did not like at all, but all the ones that appeared good didn't have viewable pictures of the right stuff.

If anyone is wondering why the back half of the bracket is sticking off the frame, I am planning to replace the rear crossmember that the bracket will mount to. I hope to start on that next week.

If you have any ideas of how to make my design better, or other forums that I missed, feel free to send them my way. Thanks.
Attached Images