The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2019, 08:48 PM   #1
Pontitruck

Project Checklist Help Needed

Hello guys, I need your help.
I bought a 65 SWB project that was taken off the frame and assembled. It has a 5.3 with an AR5 manual set up but I am removing all of that including the PSI Harness to go to a 4l60e. It also came with an American Autowire upgrade kit and I purchased the Vintage Air kit for it.
Since my truck is assembled and the drivetrain is in place, can anyone recommend a project plan to wire it, install the vintage air and switch out the trans?
I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed but have a fairly decent mechanical skill set. If this were a classic Pontiac, I'd be much more comfortable.

Any ideas where to start is appreciated.
Thanks
Joe
Pontitruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
skyphix

Re: Project Checklist Help Needed

If I understand correctly:

You have a truck with a 5.3 and a manual trans
You're going to reuse the 5.3 but swap in a 4l60e

Correct?

I'd suggest starting with either a rebuilt 4l60e or a 4l65e. Thats based on my experience with 4L60E's and talking to folks about my own swap (I was going to go 4L60E but it ended up being cheaper to go 4L80E and it will hold quite a bit more power, and generally last longer, but I have a decent amount of trans tunnel room and if I remember correctly, the 55's dont)

If so, the engine mounting should be straight forward. You'll need the flywheel/trans/torque converter that matches but that also will bolt straight up. You may need to play with your trans crossmember, but I'd also be willing to bet there are bolt in solutions for that. Transdapt and Hooker both have something in a quick search. If you can't find anything, let me know and I can take a few minutes to lay out part numbers to the best of my searching ability for you. Now you have options for engine and transmission management; aftermarket or stripped out factory harness.

If it were me (and this is what I am doing...)

I'd use a stock harness that has been stripped out and converted to stand alone. You can either do it yourself, or pay someone else to do it. I am choosing to have someone else do it, and am using Just Chevy Trucks/lsx4u.com. If you call them and tell them what you need, they can hook you up with everything. If you don't have your own PCM, or you have just an ECM, they can supply a PCM for you and convert the wiring to standalone for $850 (or more if you want more features/functionality.) There are a lot of other vendors that do this, lsx4u is just local to me.

My project, if I were in your shoes, would go like this:

Get the truck running and driving with the auto trans
Make sure all kinks are worked out
Install the Vintage Air unit

In that order. I like to start with basic functionality - driving is the basic functionality of a vehicle. The AC will be nice, but its not a requirement for you to get out and turn the tire a few times to reinvigorate yourself. I think you'll find once you drive it, the desire to do more will be higher and you'll be more motivated.

I have a complete parts list for an LS Swap into a 73-87 but you're already LS swapped, so your project is relatively straight forward. Just a trans swap, new standalone wiring harness, and then your AC install.

IF you've worked on BOP's and fought through parts availability and everything that goes along with atypical builds, this one will be cake for you! (former and continued Buick enthusiast here)

Last edited by skyphix; 01-24-2019 at 05:56 PM.
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:16 PM   #3
Pontitruck

Skyphix, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Since posting I have gotten some of the wiring completed and am making a plan to tackle mess of wires after installing the fuse block and harness. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed but started writing it out and that helped.
Again, thanks for jumping in.
Pontitruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
skyphix

Awesome! Glad you got it rolling. This is my first non-buick classic vehicle so I was overwhelmed too. I built out a project plan and have been ticking the boxes as it goes. I'm doing a full LS/4L80E swap and while I've swapped stock engines in and one import with a buddy of mine, I'm doing this one solo. It can be intimidating, but what I am finding out is that when you get into the world of Chevy and LS and modern overdrive, there is a massive amount of knowledge out there and its actually a lot simpler than you realize.

Keep us updated, cant wait to see how it turns out!
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
Wgesnerjr

Fully agree. Former Pontiac guy that got into a Chevy truck by coincidence.

The knowledge base for LS swaps is incredible. So much more than older BOP stuff. It took relatively little time to get comfortable with this platform. Aftermarket support is great and somewhat affordable.

Just finished up the last issues with my swap and I LOVE driving it!
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote