The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Air Bags Vs. Static Drop / Pros & Cons

I was hoping we could put together a list of pros and cons for air bags and static drops so that those that do not have experience (me) with one or the other or both could make educated discussions. I know that you can go much more radical with air ride but let’s stay with a basic setup for both systems like a basic bolt on C notch and the factory trailing arm system and a-arms with drop spindles. Thanks
Old 11-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
DZL1
One day.....

Re: Air Bags Vs. Static Drop / Pros & Cons

Ive had both types. I had a '93 silverado with a static 4/6 drop. Drop spindles and lowered springs in front. Stock everything else. out back c-notch and flip axle. It rode great. No way to adjust ride height in case I needed to.

I currently have a '72 c-10. I'm running bags all around. Drop spindles, cut cups in front factory a-arms. Rear setup is 2"blocks and bolt in c-notch factory trailing arms. Nothing radical. Obviously have the option to adjust ride height. Rides great also.

So basically its up to you which way you want go. Air ride is more expensive than static drop, but also more flexible and fun!

DZL1.
DZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Static:

Pros: Fairly cheap in price compared to bags; easy to install; smooth ride

Cons: Unable to adjust your ride height (watch out for speed bumps); bottoming out (depending on the setup); possibly rough ride if the proper products are not used (shock relocators, etc., depending on how low of a drop)

Bags:

Pros: Adjustability; smooth Cadillac ride; the "Cool" factor, can go with a simple setup (bags w/ schraders) until ready to go all out

Cons: More expensive, or tougher to piece together the right pieces at a fair price; requires a little more technical skills for the install (but manageable); requires a lot of the same pieces as the static drop (drop spindles, lowered shocks, shock relocators,...)

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)

Last edited by 72BlckButy; 11-17-2009 at 03:51 PM.
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

That is some great info, Thanks Guys.

1) How do they compare in handling/cornering?

2) Can you run sway bars with Air Ride?

3)Does the air ride have the sweet ride throughout its height range or is there one sweet spot, if so on a basic setup where is the sweet spot put you at for normal operational height/drop ( ex. 4/5 drop)?
Old 11-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Air Bag Con: They can leak (fitting, line, bag, etc.). This would especially suck if you are running schraders and don't have a handy air source. If the leak is big enough (like broken line or fitting, air bag rubbed thru, etc.) you can be stranded.

Pro: I love the fact you can adjust the height, drop it at a show and change for load capacity.

Static Con: Can't adjust height or load capacity (unless using coilovers)

Pro: The truck will always be the same height when I come out to drive away.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If you "really" want to learn the pros and cons of suspension systems, spend some time in the Suspension Forum. All of your concerns have been addressed many times.

To answer a couple of questions, yes you can run bags and a sway bar. If you go really low you will want to consider changing the stock sway bar bushing stands (if you have them) to the low profile stands or bolt direct to the frame.

Yes, they can leak. Once they are installed "correctly" that is usually not an issue. It's best to leave them aired up all the time. This will let you know if you have a leak "before" you leave the house.

3)Does the air ride have the sweet ride throughout its height range or is there one sweet spot, if so on a basic setup where is the sweet spot put you at for normal operational height/drop ( ex. 4/5 drop)?

Yes, every system will have a "sweet spot". Where that is depends on many factors. It will vary due to bag choice, shocks, tires, and additional suspension components.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
DZL1
One day.....

I'm running the factory front sway bar on mine. Had to cut about 3/4 inch off of the ends so that they wouldnt rub on bag.

DZL1.
DZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote