The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
sick454

Project "El Cid"

Well, I started!!. Sold the 454 that was in the 72 tuck an bougt a 5.3 Vortec engine from a 2007 Chevy Silverado. Only paid $1,400 for the whole engine, harness, DBW pedal, and cruise control, MAF sensor. ALL the accesories to include, starter, power steering pump, alternator, and A/C Compressor. The engine only has 16,000 miles on it!!! Sweet!!

All I need now is the Motor Mounts, Cross member(I'll make this one), Exahust(modifying the current exhaust) Air filter, Electric fans, and ECU/PCM retuned. If anyone has sugestions or Time saving tips please forward them to me. I have been all over these Forums and have lots of information. but Kowledge s power and applying it is victory!!

Here are some pictures of what I have started!! Enjoy.

This will be dedicated to all Navy Chief Petty Officers, Past, Present and Future!!
Attached Images

Last edited by sick454; 01-29-2009 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Created a name for my project
sick454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
sick454

Re: !!!!5.3 Vortec Swap Started!!!!

more
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Sweet !!!!

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
LuckyHenriksen

Sweet man
Senior Project
Build Thread Here
LuckyHenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
SactoJim

Nice......what you doing for a tranny?
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
sick454

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoJim View Post
Nice......what you doing for a tranny?
I don't plan on drag racing the truck but I want to do some bolt on performances later(supercharger/turbo's). So, with that in mind I want a tranny that will hold up to Horsepower. Maybe a 4L80-E?? Not sure, any suggestions? Gas milage is the reason for this conversion to begin with. Also the 5.3 Engine is a Flexfuel vehicle.

I will be needing some economical suggestions for headers, fuel tank/pump, tranny cooler, motor mounts, cam, and electric fans. So, If anyone has made this swap and has some suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,
Sick454
Old 01-27-2009, 12:42 AM   #7
LuckyHenriksen

98-02 F Body headers seem to fit these frames well. I picked up a cheap no-name set on ebay for $180 new, and they are stainless
Senior Project
Build Thread Here
LuckyHenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
oteixeira

If you are leaving the A/C or aftermarket A/C in it's current position, cut the frame pretty much right where it is turned up in front of the passenger mount. Also, you can use the stock manifolds with just a little trimming on the frame as well. I don't have measurements, just take them off, bolt the motor up, and then mark where to cut. I did not try to go cheap on the motor mounts, I want them to last, so I purchased the ECE mounts and they work and look great.

You can kind of see where I cut and how it sits here, I need to do more trimming now that it is sitting in there.

Orlando

Last edited by oteixeira; 01-27-2009 at 12:11 PM.
oteixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
sick454

Quote:
Originally Posted by oteixeira View Post
If you are leaving the A/C or aftermarket A/C in it's current position, cut the frame pretty much right where it is turned up in front of the passenger mount. Also, you can use the stock manifolds with just a little trimming on the frame as well. I don't have measurements, just take them off, bolt the motor up, and then mark where to cut. I did not try to go cheap on the motor mounts, I want them to last, so I purchased the ECE mounts and they work and look great.

You can kind of see where I cut and how it sits here, I need to do more trimming now that it is sitting in there.

Orlando

Thanks, Orlando. I plan to swap the exhaust manifolds for a set of headers and since the engine is out I want to replace the cam. Has anyone used the ECE mounts with headers(and what kind of headers)??
Shane
Old 02-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
sick454

Well, The weather this weekend was beautifull. So, I went for a bike ride! Instead of working on the build. I will be posting what I have gotten don't later next weekend. Sorry for not upadating you folks.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #11
vortec67c10

I pulled a 5.3 from an 02 tahoe and later realized that headers would stick way to far out. I wasnt comfortable with trimming the frame that much. Id say i had to cut a good 3/4 of an inch in a half moon pattern with the stock manifolds. I dont know if we could raise the motor or what but im def looking for a way to stick thoughs things in there. what computer are you gonna use? i ended up using a great one from redline. I also went with a solid 700R4. I was told by many that wouldnt work but it works perfect and way more fun than the 5 speed i had.
700R4
B&M on the floor
Lots of rumble
vortec67c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
sick454

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec67c10 View Post
I pulled a 5.3 from an 02 tahoe and later realized that headers would stick way to far out. I wasnt comfortable with trimming the frame that much. Id say i had to cut a good 3/4 of an inch in a half moon pattern with the stock manifolds. I dont know if we could raise the motor or what but im def looking for a way to stick thoughs things in there. what computer are you gonna use? i ended up using a great one from redline. I also went with a solid 700R4. I was told by many that wouldnt work but it works perfect and way more fun than the 5 speed i had.
I have decided to go with the stock manifolds for now. I plan to box my frame from front to back. If the manifolds get in the way I will just notch it out. I went with the tubular motor mounts from CPP. I fabricated a plat and welded the mounts to the plate then bolted to the motor. Then I pulled everything out to smooth my firwall(still in progress) and then I will route all the wires and mountthe Computer. I got the whole wiring harness including the under dash and gauges wires. I'm going to use the stock CPU with a reprogram. I found a stock 4L60E from o early 2007 silverado with only 1600 miles on it. I have been very busy at work and with other projects to get pictures taken and updates to my uild but I will be coming soon. Thanks for the information and good luck.
Shane
Old 04-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
aboyer
Adam B

Hi Shane,

Where are you findinng all these goodies at that are cheap?

--$1500 for the low mileage 5.3L engine
--$500 4L60E transmission with low miles

Are you getting these from a local junkyard or what?

Thanks,

Adam
aboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:20 AM   #14
sick454

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyer View Post
Hi Shane,

Where are you findinng all these goodies at that are cheap?

--$1500 for the low mileage 5.3L engine
--$500 4L60E transmission with low miles

Are you getting these from a local junkyard or what?

Thanks,

Adam
Yes, I live in the Wichita, KS area and just kept checking with the local scrap yard owners until i found the ones I wanted. the 4L60E transmission came from a company in Topeka and if you have a local shop to ship it to, they will ship it for free. Here is there website.

http://www.lkqcorp.com/home/home.asp

Good luck, hope they can help you out too.

Shane
Old 05-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #15
sick454

more updates. with just a little progress. weather is finally good here in Kansas. Balancing good days with a chance to work on truck, or ride my bike? Which would you do?
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #16
sick454

More updates I still have to notch out the frame for the stock exhaust manifolds to work you can see they are still rubbing the frame. other than that everything went in pretty easy.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #17
nuke1

lookin nnice, i know all about the bike or work thing, but i normally work all day from 7 - 10 then go riding for 2 houtr at nite, my favorite time to ride, i do not sleep much, but i get the best of both worls to an extent
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #18
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Any new updates?

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #19
sick454

Yes.... Actually the Homeowners Association for which i live in (I'm renting by the way). Has pitched a fit that my truck is an inoperable vehicle. Even thought there rules state the vehicle has to be tagged and insured, which it is. Co(K suckers!!!! anyway had to move it into the garage. So, Now i make sure I get up really early on Saturday nd Sunday mornings to get out and grind and hammer and weld and make as much noise as i can, so that everyone on my block knows that it won't be inoperative for long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for what has been done.

1.) motor mounts are solid and complete.
2.) Trans mount is solid and complete.
3.) frame has been notched out and painted in the area that were cut to make room for the stock exhaust manifolds and A/C compressor.
4.) researching parts for trans cooler, p/s hoses, fuel pump and possibly new tank, Electric Fans. Any help with part numbers and manufaturs in these areas would be appreciated.

I would like to keep the blazer tank that i have relocated to the rear frame if possible. just need to figure out the fuel delivery / return / pick-up. HELP !!

I'm not looking for pretty here, just effective and reliable.

Thanks,
Sick454
Old 07-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #20
Shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick454 View Post
I would like to keep the blazer tank that i have relocated to the rear frame if possible. just need to figure out the fuel delivery / return / pick-up. HELP !!

Thanks,
Sick454
Does your fuel rails have the fuel pressure regulator on there or not? this determines some of the options.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #21
jkade

Quote:
I don't plan on drag racing the truck but I want to do some bolt on performances later(supercharger/turbo's). So, with that in mind I want a tranny that will hold up to Horsepower. Maybe a 4L80-E?? Not sure, any suggestions? Gas milage is the reason for this conversion to begin with. Also the 5.3 Engine is a Flexfuel vehicle.

I will be needing some economical suggestions for headers, fuel tank/pump, tranny cooler, motor mounts, cam, and electric fans. So, If anyone has made this swap and has some suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,
Sick454
A 4L80E is going to kill your gas mileage even with the overdrive. Get a built 4L60E if you want to still get in the 18-20mpg range.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #22
jkade

Quote:
Yes.... Actually the Homeowners Association for which i live in (I'm renting by the way). Has pitched a fit that my truck is an inoperable vehicle. Even thought there rules state the vehicle has to be tagged and insured, which it is. Co(K suckers!!!! anyway had to move it into the garage. So, Now i make sure I get up really early on Saturday nd Sunday mornings to get out and grind and hammer and weld and make as much noise as i can, so that everyone on my block knows that it won't be inoperative for long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for what has been done.

1.) motor mounts are solid and complete.
2.) Trans mount is solid and complete.
3.) frame has been notched out and painted in the area that were cut to make room for the stock exhaust manifolds and A/C compressor.
4.) researching parts for trans cooler, p/s hoses, fuel pump and possibly new tank, Electric Fans. Any help with part numbers and manufaturs in these areas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sick454
You can get a good trans cooler from the local parts store. If I remeber right I took a hose from a new model truck and cut the compression sleeve off and had the parts store put the fitting on a hose for the old steering box. Get a radiator and a set of fans from a 98-01 fbody if you want to go cheap. Get a walbro 255 inline pump and a 97 up corvette filter/regulator and you can use your blazer tank. The corvette filter/regulator is easy to make work.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:12 AM   #23
sick454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon View Post
Does your fuel rails have the fuel pressure regulator on there or not? this determines some of the options.
I do NOT have any fuel pressure regulators on the engine.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:14 AM   #24
sick454

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkade View Post
A 4L80E is going to kill your gas mileage even with the overdrive. Get a built 4L60E if you want to still get in the 18-20mpg range.
I did go with the 4L60E transmission, after doing some research i did find the 4L80E does suck on gas mileage, thanks for the info.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #25
Shon

Quote:
I do NOT have any fuel pressure regulators on the engine.
Then you will need the vette filter/reg set up.