The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2009, 01:47 AM   #1
01chevduramax

HELP!! Newbie looking for KNOWLEDGE! what to buy?!

First of all I'd like to say Hi to everyone here. I'm a 23 year old from Oregon. I love trucks of all kinds and have been dreaming of owning a late 60s early 70s chevy 4x4. The wife has finally agreed to let me to pull the trigger. The questions I have at this point are in the thousands... But basically I'm looking for a stock truck. I plan to restore and lift the truck I end up buying. Just wondering about the trims and options. Whats out there and whats are they worth. I've got a pretty good backround in mechanics so I'm not 100% new to this. Basically I want opinions of the HOLY GRAIL of 72's... and then the reality of whats out there. I've got about $10k to buy the truck. What would you look for if you were in my position>?? Thanks a lot you guys!
01chevduramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:36 AM   #2
prairewolf

Re: HELP!! Newbie looking for KNOWLEDGE! what to buy?!

Hello, welcome to the best chevy truck website bar none.

the Search function can help you a lot more than I can, the page How bout some pics of 67-72 trucks is a good start.

my only advice is to be patient enough to buy what YOU like.

I baught my Sub and Pickups after talking with the owners about 5 minutes, but I was real patient up to that point,

life is good,kent

Last edited by prairewolf; 05-18-2009 at 04:40 AM.
prairewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:28 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

WELCOME!!!!

We can`t give info on any specific trucks for sale due to the rule that requires a subscription to post a WTB in the user agreement.

I moved this to the 4wd section since it`s about 4wd model info.Please feel free to introduce yourself again in the 67-72 message board if you like.You`ll get your 4wd answers here,though.

You`ll find all the info is already here,just takes time.I dig your enthusiasism.That`s what it`s all about.The NW is a strong area for locating 4wds.things to watch for are rust.Cab corners,rockers,door corners,and cab supports are no biggy and an easy fix.Hidden and/or not-so-easy areas are across the back of the can where the panels meet under the gas tank,roof/header panel/drip rail,cowl,core support bottom,floor/kick panels.On K-models I`d check overall condition of front end and drivetrain:ball joints,tie rods,drag link,bearings,u-joints,yokes,and seals for leaking.They are usually obviously clapped-out or ok.Look for cracked or repaired frame @ steering box,too.
The 67-69s(and earlier) used closed knuckle front axles w/drum brake,as well as the Rockwell 221 transfer case.Automatics were a rarity in`69.These are all hardy and durable components,but many tend to want to upgrade to newer components,mostly for parts availablity(if you ever need any).`70 axles are open knuckle(tighter steering) and last year of drum as well as using the NP205 transfer case.These axles can be converted to disc using later factory parts.71/72s run the same parts used up through`77-ish and later.The large hub K/20s ran through`75.
No big blocks until`77,I believe.All automatics were TH350s.Watch for body swaps.Not a problem if done well,just not original if that matters.A factory 4wd will have a vIN begining with "K",where the name K-models comes from.`72s will have a "C" for Chevy and a "T" for GMC ahead of the "K".
In 67/68 there were base model trucks with no nameplate,Customs,and CSTs...as well as CustomCamper models.
In 69/70 there were C/10 & c/20 base models,Customs,and CSTs...as well as CustomCampers.
In 71/72 there were Custom base models,Custom Deluxes,cheyennes,and Cheyenne Supers...as well as CustomCampers.In late`72 there were Highlander special promotion packages A,B,&C based on the Custom Deluxe.These had no badging designating "Highlander" and were a special group of options,the beginning of option groups we see today.
GMC models ran about the same as Chevy with different names...basically,with a few exceptions.One is the Sierra and Sierra Grande began before`71 and are the counterparts to Cheyenne and Cheyenne Super.
That`s enough for one thread for me.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-18-2009 at 05:31 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
dammitmitchell
the pollock

hey brother...
if you are going for a PROJECT, buy a inexpensive truck that needs love.. and just use the 10g's to build it up.. then nickel and dime it until its all done... i currently have 5g's invested including purchase of my truck (thanks to creative trading etc..)
but dont WASTE several grand on a truck you are going to tear apart and make your own..
Just MY two cents..
and
WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
Burt4x4

I may be a bit bias but there ain't nothin finer than a 72K5 Blazer
Second place 72K30 pickup
Third is 72K10 stepside pickup

Then I would slap some 1ton axels under there and drop in a 454 w/EFI and wala the baddest truck ever! THE Holy Grail has been found
Old 05-18-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
01chevduramax

I have spent quite a bit of time looking through posts on here I've somewhat made up my mind on how the truck WILL look after a few years of work. Basically I'm looking for a '71 - '72 chevy 4x4. I want a long box. I've got a few engines to choose from between my brother and I. I'm not looking for a rusty beater, but I dont want a shop full of someone else's work.... I'll most likely be completely rebuilding the suspension including axles as well. So basically put yourselves in my shoes. $10k **to start with**, a nice shop to work in, tons of tools, and more energy... What features and options are rare and worth more on these trucks? When I'm done building it I don't want to find out that the truck I found isn't that sought after. How huge is factory A/C? and trucks with the dashes all hacked up for DVD screens and **** like that?? I've actually seen that... the rust advice is good. knowing where to look can save you soooooo much. I know very little about these trucks and I just want to learn it ALL!! so thanks for your replies and for you help guys!
01chevduramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

My only advice is to find a solid one to begin with and don't worry about whether it is going to be sought after when you're done. If your doing that to enhance the resale, then save your money and don't build one as it is rare that one can sell their truck and make a profit. Build it exactly as you want and be proud of it. My 69 K20 was about as no frill as they come, no power steering or brakes, no radio, 307 engine, you name it, it didn't have it - but, I've built it into something special in my eye and that is all that matters to me.

With that said, I'd probably seek a truck with an AC cab if AC is important to you, everything else you can add yourself.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:23 PM   #8
01chevduramax

That makes good sense... Who cares what everyone else says right?? my buddies always give me **** about wanting a long bed.... How hard is it to replace or repair a wood bed?? I didn't buy a truck a few months back because the wood trim was all oxidized and beat up...
Old 05-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
Outlaw_71

Dude I have a 72 long bed lifted. They look awesome. Don't listen to other people. Get what you want! :-)
Old 05-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
71GMChevy

I just went through what you are going through... I wanted a 4x4, longbed. I bought a 4x4 longbed K20 a month ago. It needs work, but it will be a fun process. I bought a i beater straight with no cancer, surface rust, but no cancer. Fresh motor, needs trans, Interior is lame, it needs an AC compressor. All my friends laugh and point, my neighbor hates it...

My point is... When the truck is done, they will wish they had it. Do what YOU want. Buy what YOU want, and fix it the way YOU want. Just make sure its a 71 GMC with Chevy grill and tailgate, haha. JK, just do what you want.

GMC came with Dana axles which I like. I believe all GMC K20s came with D44/D60. Parts are easy to find, some of the other axles seem like its hard to find parts? Anyone correct me if I am wrong.
71GMChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
special-K
Special Order

If I had $10,000 I`d look for a $7,000 truck with an emphasis on a good body,try to get it closer to $6,000,Take the $3,000-4,000 to get started on the suspension,axles,steering,brakes,wheels,and tires.Then,do a heart tranplant.
That`s what I did with my`72 K/20 Highlander,except the heart transplant.It came with a healthy 400SBC.I had the wheels and tires waiting,rebuilt the undercarriage including springs,and it drove like a dream.It needed a clutch,so I got a Centerforce Dual Friction.When I did the rear I put a Locker in.Never touched the cosmetics,other than little details like getting the right mirrors back on and replacing bent trim with good used.I paid $5,500 and by the time I had $10,000 in it it was a great 4-wheeler.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-22-2009 at 03:39 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
Outlaw_71

Just as a side note, i agree with everyone here about building the truck you want. That's what i did with my monte carlo. I got really lucky on my truck though. I found one done exactly the way I would have built it right in my budget. Only the fun stuff is left to do (drive and mantain/fix small things and maybe paint someday, along with a stereo eventually). My case was rare but it does happen. Watch craigslist religiously and search for everything you can think of relating to it (when i wanted a cheyenne i found a bunch of cool trucks by misspelling cheyenne as cheyene or even chyenne). Sometimes people find what they want for what they want to pay.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:52 PM   #13
01chevduramax

I've got thins pretty narrowed down as to how it will look on the outside. I would absolutely LOVE a hugger orange and white long bed. I've got lots of axles, motors, trannys, and transfer cases to build with. So far my brother and I have got a dana 60 rear, NP205, Turbo 400, nicely built 383 stroker. Front end is still on the drawing board. Interior will probably turn out 90% custom.... I've got a nice pro-tech tool box to put in it. A budde of my dads is going to build me a custom aluminum in-bed gas tank to hide under the box... So far truck shopping has been a total waste of time. I'm not sure if people just don't know their trucks are rusted out?? or if they're hoping I won't notice. either way I'm 0 for 4 on looks. I've found a blue 3/4 ton on craigslist in portland that I'm going to go look at. BUT changing blue to hugger orange and white would suck. http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1186831853.html

What do you guys think? Looks ok from the pics but as I now know that doesn't mean anything...
Old 05-24-2009, 11:11 PM   #14
01chevduramax

I also JUST found this one. Its the right colors, but the guy doesn't answer his phone. And it looks like the frame is bent between the cab and bed. I've seen that a number of times especially on lifted trucks of this style. Is that normal?? and is it fixable?? You guys have been super helpful in the hunt for my truck. Keep it coming, I really appreciate everyones input.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #15
dammitmitchell
the pollock

dude .. take a picture of what you are talikn about please..
so at least we (mainly i) have an idea..
thanks dude!

Old 05-24-2009, 11:47 PM   #16
dammitmitchell
the pollock

here is what you are getting yourself into!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=141

Old 05-25-2009, 10:50 PM   #17
onlyifihadachevy

you want to look on the forsale forum in here too. But just look for something solid and then build want you want im in the process of saving for a roll cage and 4link front and rear. Because thats what i want.

And that truck looks good but you would have to look at it closer for the cancer.

72 gmc 2500 2wd drive convert

My 72 thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=346712

THe other truck, wheeler 69 1/2 4x4, yellow and rusty.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=350300
onlyifihadachevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #18
01chevduramax

I clicked that link you posted... Didn't take me to what I think you're trying to point me towards. Here is the link of the orange/white long bed i mentioned. The more I look at it the more I like it. The bed and cab don't look as bent as originally thought. But there is SOME there. What do you all think about the 2 links i posted?? they look pretty decent to me, and following you're advice and thoughts, they're right in the price range. Add some of the parts I already have, so other nice stuff and away I go.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #19
dammitmitchell
the pollock

hey dude it was a link to the 4X4 build pages..
where you get to see how "bad" some of the truckes here start out with..
good luck dude

Old 05-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #20
msgross

there are 1,000 ways to start and finish a build like this of course. You are in the right area to find a fairly rust free economical truck to start with.

My buddy had a stock Hugger Orange 72 K-20 cheyenne super (buckets, air, tilt, tach, 350, 35K miles) and sold it for $14K. i wish I could have bought it because I haven't seen one since.

I would like to see a mean K-30 (dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear) with a 6.0L newer fuel injected engine. Mated to a 4L80 or NV4500 and an NP205 transfer. Aftermarket A/C and slightly lifted with 35-37" BFG Mud terrains with 18-20" rims...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #21
01chevduramax

Ya there are some projects on here that WIFFFF would not go for. I'm looking for the same thing 85% of guys look for. "grandpa's truck". original in as many ways as possible. especially paint... The 2 I'm trying to make deals on claim to be original. Havn't gone to see them yet though. This site has provided me with a head full of knowledge in a short time. It will all be going to good use this weekend!!
Old 05-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #22
Outlaw_71

That blue truck is awesome! I would have loved that truck!! My 4x4 was built (I didn't know this when i bought it) but it is still awesome. That truck is a great deal though.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:37 PM   #23
dammitmitchell
the pollock

my "blue truck?"

Old 05-28-2009, 12:21 AM   #24
Outlaw_71

I was specifically referring to this "blue truck" that the thread starter posted-
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1186831853.html
but your truck is awesome too.

I also found another "blue truck" near Portland-
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1192423437.html

1971 gmc 4x4. Pretty truck. Great deal for sure.

Last edited by Outlaw_71; 05-28-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Outlaw_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:37 AM   #25
dammitmitchell
the pollock

ahhhhh thanks!
im totally blind... andw as .like WTF? aint talkin bout my truck...sorrie!