The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2020, 11:20 PM   #1
Olen

Vintage Air

Hello Guys,

I’m looking to install a vintage air unit in my 65 C10. I was wondering how you guys like yours and if you could refer me to the best vendor (aka cheapest). Post a picture of your vents, I’d love to see them!
Posted via Mobile Device
Olen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:25 AM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Vintage Air

Here is a VA install - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=467956
AC Vents - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...627679&page=12
A Dealer Installed AC - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559436
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Mine is awesome. I was hesitant to install it, but my wife insisted. It was one of the best decisions of my latest build up. Contact Walt Anders at Classic Nova Performance (tell him Vincent Mayeda of Mayeda Motorsports referred you): https://www.classicnova.com

Attached Images

Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:26 PM   #4
AcampoDave

Mine is pretty good. The fan is kind of loud, and the heater part of it is not as good as the oem fresh air heater. It is what it is, a retrofit unit into an old hot rod truck that has been insulated as well as possible. I have driven in ambient temps as high as 105 to 110 degrees and it does get a bit warm inside still. You know, the sweaty back against the seat... but overall it's not bad considering. I'll admit I'm spoiled by my 2017Silverado and if my 1966 didn't have the Vintage Air, it would stay parked more often than not in the summer sround here. I have also noticed that running "max a/c" for extended periods seems to cause the evaporator to ice up reducing its efficiency. I get that impression because after I stop for a break on a long haul, it wil begin to release a rather large puddle of condensation as the coils warm up.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 07-15-2020 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Typo
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
nsb29

Sounds like low air circulation what kind of vents are you running
Old 07-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #6
AcampoDave

I use the under dash manifold with the single left hander that comes in the kit. The vents look like those in post #3. It could be low air flow alright because I do run the fan speed pretty low. The whine on that fan grates on my nerves once it gets cranked up toward half throttle. (I'm weird that way though, whiney noise can bug the crap outta me. Good thing I didn't have kids )

Last edited by AcampoDave; 07-16-2020 at 09:34 AM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
nsb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I use the under dash manifold with the single left hander that comes in the kit. The vents look like those in post #3. It could be low air flow alright because I do run the fan speed pretty low. The whine on that fan grates on my nerves once it gets cranked up toward half throttle. (I'm weird that way though, whiney noise can bug the crap outta me. Good thing I didn't have kids )
LMAO I have heard that they are noisy. Here in Florida with the humidity AC cools pretty good but I also spend part of the year in the desert in Southern Cal where I am from the dry Air doesn’t cool as easily I will be using the center vent that Jim reproduces as well as the additional side vents thanks for the input
Old 07-19-2020, 02:05 PM   #8
LTZMAN

Attached Images

LTZMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 02:43 PM   #9
nsb29

Check out your build nice truck
Old 07-20-2020, 12:27 AM   #10
Railroader

I put a VA unit in my 63 a few years back. It works and cools fine in Mississippi heat. The fan noise is louder than I like with the blower on mid to high. This may be improved now as the VA unit I just installed in my 67 Nova is much quieter. Tip - on the wire to the compressor, tape the connection. I had mine inside some wire protection sleeve and it came unplugged. Took me awhile to determine why unit was not cooling.
1994 GMC Daily Driver
Railroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:59 AM   #11
verdell

I too installed Vintage Air last September and it's worked fine. No issues with fan motor noise and great tech support. My only concern is, in the near future, doing away with under dash mounted manifold. I think it'll cool better with center AC louvers/vents mounted higher in the dash rather than directed lower so I'm doing away with ashtray and fabbing up something. Drove up to the Southeastern Truck Nationals in Lebanon, TN (5 hrs) last weekend and it worked fine. Great investment for those that actually drive their pickups a bit more.
verdell is offline   Reply With Quote