The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2020, 01:02 AM   #51
siggyfreud

Re: Project "Ghost" - 1972 C10 Pro-touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
That printer is too cool man. Is the material expensive?
This specific material is. It's about $96 for a 750g roll of it. One bracket takes about 32g of it to make, so about $4-5 a bracket in print material.

Other materials like PLA are 1/5 that price, so I do all my prototyping in that.

There are other materials, like NylonX, that are a little more than half the price of what this bracket is in (PAHT-CF15), and should be 90% as good as this material I think, so I may switch over to that. I did take this bracket and throw it on the cement after assembly and it did jack to it.

Obviously PAHT-CF15 is way stronger than I need for this specific part, but I was just too excited to print with it. And I love the texture of the finished print. This material would be great for a lot of stuff though.

I did order some white Nylon (without carbon) as that is already very strong. And it will allow for easier painting. That's what I'd likely print a rear-view mirror bracket out of. That said, if I need more detail in it for the bracket I may swap over to tough PLA and a smaller print head to get more granular of a print. We'll see!
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:58 PM   #52
siggyfreud

No new updates on the truck, still waiting on a new inner tie rod, then I can get it aligned.

I did do a design/print for a fellow board member who is adapting a new style mirror to the stock mounting hardware. I plan to do a similar mirror in mine, so the project was a little self-serving too.

Our mirrors came with a ball/stud that is a narrower diameter than what modern mirrors use. So I redesigned the ball/stud with a bigger ball, and then included a wiring tunnel. TA_C10 did a manual mod to his ball/stud to help setup what the design should be.

Then I printed it in nylon/carbon at about 50% infill (meaning it's half air inside). Now it's off to TA_C10 to test out!

Last edited by siggyfreud; 07-19-2020 at 02:02 AM.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #53
SCOTI

I've been following the efforts. Cool collaboration project.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:49 AM   #54
siggyfreud

I think I finally wrapped up most of the suspension work on the front. Having tried a number of ways to resolve the wheel clearance issue on the sway bar mount I eventually had to resort to some surgery.

First I tried shaving the mounts down, but it wasn't enough clearance. Then I tried a thin wheel spacer, but again, not enough clearance. I was going to fab up a steering stop to avoid the issue, but once I saw how much turning radius I'd lose I said no to that as well.

So I relocated the way bar mount to inside the lower control arm. It wasn't pretty, but it'll do for now. Eventually I'll fab up some purpose-made relocation brackets, as right now I just cut the bracket and used what I could on the inside. I had to ensure the bracket left room to remove the lower coilover bolt, so it's not as 90* as I wanted. But then agin, the stock location wasn't straight up and down either, so I think this will be okay.

Now to go get it aligned.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #55
SCOTI

It does look like it's @ about the same angle as it would be in the outer position (I believe the outer lower arrow is the original location?).
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-30-2020, 12:01 PM   #56
siggyfreud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
It does look like it's @ about the same angle as it would be in the outer position (I believe the outer lower arrow is the original location?).
Yep, that's the old location. Looking at the lines in your overlay makes me feel like I got it even closer than I thought .
Old 07-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #57
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
Yep, that's the old location. Looking at the lines in your overlay makes me feel like I got it even closer than I thought .
Odd thing is it ISN"T plumb as it comes from Ridetech. I had the same experience (MuscleBar/Cool Ride arm combo). The sway-bar link was @ some funky angle vs. plumb & only took a brief period of road miles before there were no bushings. Not sure about the 'Why?'.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-31-2020, 03:10 PM   #58
siggyfreud

Not much to report today on the truck. Going to wash it this afternoon, then an alignment Monday.

I did preorder a little desktop CNC mill that I can cut small aluminum parts in. During a meeting break today I designed something for my friend's El Camino.

He has a 396, and we had an original style 396 sticker on the air cleaner. But over time stickers peel, the fade, etc.

So I made one that I'll cut from aluminum, and thread the back of to act as a air cleaner stud nut.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:54 PM   #59
SCOTI

That's freakin' cool.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-31-2020, 07:09 PM   #60
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Nice, that should be cool

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #61
siggyfreud

Front coilovers and alingment done. I was able to get the alignment pretty close in the garage, but nice to have it fully dialed in from a shop. Got toe-in within 1/16" on either side, so not bad for eyeballing it. The lady friend and I went for a drive in the country to feel how it handles better. I may stiffin the coilover settings a bit more, and I probably need to install bumpstops. Overall I'm happy with the upgrade. It handles very nice. Way better than it used to. Not quite on the level of a modern sports car, but a lot better than a 60's-70's stock muscle car, and certainly better than a 70's truck. The new steering components and redhead steering box are also a welcome upgrade. Steering is much tighter, pretty much zero slop in the wheel now. Went from a ragjoint to a ujoint, along with a new collapsable steering shaft.

Makes me excited to do the rear suspension down the road, and then crank up the power under the hood.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:37 AM   #62
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Great pics!
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:35 PM   #63
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Great pics and a nice stance.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:23 PM   #64
layinrocker65

Lots of cool stuff in this thread. Do you do CAD/CAM stuff for work?
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:08 PM   #65
siggyfreud

Quote:
Originally Posted by layinrocker65 View Post
Lots of cool stuff in this thread. Do you do CAD/CAM stuff for work?
Not professionally, no. I'm in tech and project management. That said, I am transitioning partially away from that and building my own design, engineering, and content creation business here soon.

I can sit in an 8-hour meeting and want to die, but 8 hours in the garage or designing something to print or create flies right by, so trying to turn my passions into my job a bit more.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:25 PM   #66
siggyfreud

Found myself able to split my attention a bit today during a meeting and began drafting my plans for an airbox that will fit nicely in our engine bays. It's being designed to fit a modern Camaro ZL1 air filter, good for over 600hp.

I don't have the air filter in hand yet, so the design is conceptual at this point as opposed to exact. I already know the angle of the air filter is different than what is here. What you see below is designed to fill the space between the radiator and fender nicely though.

I only have the lower in progress. The lid will contain the connection to plumb the air to the intake for a front-mount TB fuel injection setup.

The air intake part for the box will likely be designed with a few options, such as a lower intake to draw from a fender, or a frontal intake to draw from behind the grill.

I'll also be changing the base a bit and adding a drain port so any moisture will drain out.

This is just the very first iteration. Hopefully it'll improve moving forward .

Jay Leno and CO 3D printed the intake box for their custom Bronco, so I'm giving it a go. Their printer is slightly bigger (and about 5-10x more expensive haha) so I may have to get creative and assemble mine from a few pieces.

Last edited by siggyfreud; 08-05-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:37 PM   #67
siggyfreud

Concept for the box top:

Old 08-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #68
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Another great idea! I can think of several things I would like to have you create and print
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:47 PM   #69
siggyfreud

This would be a few day print at least, so I'm defintely going to spent more time in design and measurements before I press the GO button haha.

Stepside always happy to have a backlog of things to consider building .

Last edited by siggyfreud; 08-05-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:36 PM   #70
siggyfreud

Intake top printed at 30% size just to see if I need to add supports. Overall pretty good, but I need to support the bottom of the hose opening.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:16 AM   #71
siggyfreud

Time for bed, but final update of the night. I did some texturing of the concept and did a quick render:

Old 08-07-2020, 09:25 AM   #72
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

very cool. Looks great. How will it mount to the fender?

Old 08-07-2020, 11:48 AM   #73
siggyfreud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
very cool. Looks great. How will it mount to the fender?
That'll be the next part after I get the air filter and go from the concept design to an actual one.

My guess at this point is that it'll need to bolt to the radiator core support, or I'll build a bracket that will bolt to it that this will slide into.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:53 AM   #74
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
That'll be the next part after I get the air filter and go from the concept design to an actual one.

My guess at this point is that it'll need to bolt to the radiator core support, or I'll build a bracket that will bolt to it that this will slide into.
Sounds like the stronger choice. A steel platform that the housing & lid can 'nest' in.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-08-2020, 12:48 AM   #75
cornerstone

Lovin all the creativity man. Absolutely killer ride height too!

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote