The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
C10_ForDad

My 1970 C10 Tribute to my father

Hi everyone! Ive lurked on here for over a year now and just recently had my acount approved to post. I lost my dad July 31st 2019 to stage 4 cancer. It took him really quick, within 4 months of being diagnosed. We always wanted to build a hot rod togerher. In the month after he passed I scoured facebook marketplace and craigslist looking for a good project. I found this 1970 C10 longbed 2wd for a great price. Minimal rust besides the cab and it ran and drove. I got it home and have since proceeded to tear it down and upgrade it. Here is what it looked like as I bought it. Ill keep updating this as much as I can to get you all up to speed!
Attached Images

C10_ForDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:48 PM   #2
C10_ForDad

Re: My 1970 C10 Tribute to my father

From August of last year to right before christmas I worked on lowering it and updating the suspension and steering. I went with CPP for the drop spindle disc brakes, lowering springs (in the front and rear), new moog tie rods and ball joints, and a redhead steering box! the tires I put on it were only temporary. I also started priming it and doing small body work on it. This is how it sat at the end of the year as I tried to figure out what I wanted to do with the engine and trans. The engine was weak and smoked like crazy and the 4 speed just didnt feel good and engage well.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
siggyfreud

Sorry to hear about your father.

This looks like a great project. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. The redhead box is a great upgrade! I just finished that one myself.

Look forward to the next update!
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
MDPotter

Sorry to hear about your dad and sorry you didn't get to build a project with him. Just remember everything he taught you and apply it to the project.

Do you know what your overall plans for the truck are? There are a lot of options on the chassis, body, and drivetrain.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #5
C10_ForDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPotter View Post
Sorry to hear about your dad and sorry you didn't get to build a project with him. Just remember everything he taught you and apply it to the project.

Do you know what your overall plans for the truck are? There are a lot of options on the chassis, body, and drivetrain.
Im excited but am in uncharted water. We never did anything this intense together haha As an overall goal, I have a LM7 with a BTR stage 2 in it right now, and Im fighting my TH400 haha It has a Ultra Bell and my excited ass rushed it and didnt trim enough off the case so its leaking. Im fixing that this next week. Its riding as 28.5 and 29 from ground to the top of the wheel wells. Im actually thinking of picking up a local frame and stripping it down and cleaning it up and getting that one ready for bags.

Then I can drive my truck while work on the other frame!
Old 08-07-2020, 12:54 PM   #6
C10_ForDad

So at this point I decided on a engine and trans swap! I went for a 5.3 with a btr stage 2 cam and a th400. But before that the old ones had to come out! I pulled everything off the front end so I could clean up the front frame rails some as well as the firewall. All of this was done in my drive way and garage. Im sure my suburban neighbors love me haha
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2020, 01:05 PM   #7
siggyfreud

You're making fast work of all of it! Nice to see such quick progress.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #8
C10_ForDad

After cleaning everything up and getting the engine and trans ready to stab in as one piece I hit a snag. I did not realize that B.O.P trans bolt patterns were a thing. Needless to say that was pretty frustrating, after a lot of contemplation (i already had a harness and ecu setup for a non electric trans) I decided to buy an Ultra Bell and cut the B.O.P one off. So I stabbed the engine in on its own and would deal with transmission on its own. The Ultra Bell is an amazing piece of customization, sadly its come to bite me in the ass (Ill explain it when I get to that part of the build!) But Ive got the engine in, the front core support back on and modified for a Chevy grille as I didnt like the 4 headlights. After a hood latch and hood latch support I got it all bolted back up and it looks amazing! Next post, tackling that Ultra Bell and TH400!
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2020, 01:08 PM   #9
C10_ForDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
You're making fast work of all of it! Nice to see such quick progress.
Thanks, but sadly this has been almost a year of time haha I wish I could work as fast as it seems. Im tied down to mostly nights after my little one goes to bed. Also for someone it took forever for my acount to be approved here
Old 08-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #10
C10_ForDad

Sorry for such a gap in catching up! Life has been to busy to do a write up. So My th400 was unknowningly a BOP bellhousing until I researched it. I decided to keep it and do a JW ultrabell to LS. Its such an amazing quality product, the fit and finish on it is great, but cutting off the OEM bellhousing was puckering! I took my time over the course of a few nights and got it ground down to fit on the trans. The next day a friend came over and we got up under it and stuffed it in! After that I dropped it down and filled the engine with oil, coolant, and filled the trans thinking I could see the end in sight for starting it up.

Sadly that day hasnt come. I actually have to pull the trans back out and grind down the housing more. I must have a spot where it doesnt pull tight against the trans pump and whenever I fill it up it leaks out past the O rings in the ultra bell :facepalm: I just lost a little steam and motivation. I also will get pictures of my new toys to make my life easier pulling it back out! I picked up a trans jack and a set of 10 inch tall race ramp craddles to give me a ton of working room!
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2020, 05:31 PM   #11
gmc684x4

Why not run a 4l80e and get the best of a turbo400 with overdrive?

Check the torque converter snout for wear lines and gooves that will cause leaks as
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:29 PM   #12
C10_ForDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc684x4 View Post
Why not run a 4l80e and get the best of a turbo400 with overdrive?

Check the torque converter snout for wear lines and gooves that will cause leaks as
Awesome Ill check that as well, but Im 90% sure its from a bellhousing o ring not being bottomed out. I was looking at the gap between the ultrabell and the case and on the area its leaking there is a small section touching, it should have a gap.

And I would have loved a 4L80E but the cheapest I could find for one with in a couple hundred miles was 950 dollars and it was a 4x4. There were none in the yards or any other used ones. I took what I could find.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:08 AM   #13
siggyfreud

Two steps forward, one step back. You'll get there my friend!

I had to install my front coilover system and steering 3 different times to get it right and solve my sway bar mount issues, so a lot of these mini projects go through multiple installs haha
Old 08-19-2020, 01:13 AM   #14
Richard

Looks like you got a good start on things. Sorry about your dad. Think it is great you are doing this in his memory. Lost my dad over 15 years ago and I still miss him. Your post makes me sad but also brings up good memories.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:37 PM   #15
C10_ForDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
Two steps forward, one step back. You'll get there my friend!

I had to install my front coilover system and steering 3 different times to get it right and solve my sway bar mount issues, so a lot of these mini projects go through multiple installs haha

Oh jeez! That would be a pain too! Technically itll be my 3rd time pulling it from the engine haha 3rd time is a charm right!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Looks like you got a good start on things. Sorry about your dad. Think it is great you are doing this in his memory. Lost my dad over 15 years ago and I still miss him. Your post makes me sad but also brings up good memories.
Thank you, its just been over a year since he is gone. He is the reason I love GM amd Chevy and C10's, when it popped up for sale it just seemed so fitting! He always had C10's, K5's and a couple 55-57 panel vans. I grew up in the garage with him, when my daughter (still a toddler) is old enough she'll be out in the garage with me, as itll be hers when she turns 16.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:38 PM   #16
C10_ForDad

Sorry for not updating this in forever. I've had A LOT of changes happen in the direction of the truck! I'll start off by saying I got tired of fighting my th400 and decided to swap it for a 4L80E. I picked one up for a good deal and can't wait to get it set up for manual shifting with a transdapt shift kit. I also lucked out and snagged a frame from a fellow in Arizona for 200 and got to work stripped it down and cleaning it up so it would be nice and rust free for what was next.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2021, 04:43 PM   #17
C10_ForDad

And what was next for the frame you ask?? Porterbuilt level 3 Dropmembers front and rear!!!!! I've been working on the frame inside my car port in my free time and am ready to mount my steering rack and drill out my knuckles for the 5/8's bolts. Please ignore my dirty dusty carport.
Attached Images