The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Sweet 72

Major '72 Burban Delima

Okay, so I have a major delima here. If your not familure with me I'm the author of "Barn yard find w/out the Barn yard". Its a nice '72 burban that is really solid for its age. I've got a bit of work down on it so far, and now...

Last night I was finishing up some emails, and clicked over to Portlands CL and found a newly listed "1972 Suburban". To my shock they had it listed at $1200 obo. Not knowing any options or condition I loaded up the family and headed out of Bend to Portland. Thankfully the guy was nice enough to let me have the first gander at it since I was the first one to email him (plus the fact of driving eight hours round trip). So we got there at 11:30 last night and first thing I do is pop the hood and noticed how full the engine compartment was.

Factory A/C. I better get another look at this possibility. So I peek my head in and find in the dash A/C, and rear A/C. So then my curiosity stirred. I looked at the build sheet... Custom deluxe trip, upper and lower. Front/Rear AC. Tilt wheel. Possi rear end. Third row seat. And the list goes on check out the pics.

Long story short. This burb has way more rust issues than my Orange one. But I'm thinking the body work would be worth keeping the white pearl all original without parting it out to my orange one.

Looking for some feed back. Keep an eye out, because its just a possibility that the ol'orange/white burb is going on the market.
Attached Images

Sweet 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Sweet 72

Re: Major '72 Burban Delima

more
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
Sweet 72

Also while sitting there looking at the build sheet I notice and extra gauge cluster laying under the front seat... with a factory tach...
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
CMACDONALD1

Man you stole that thing!!! Looks like it was well cared for. It may have a bit of rust but it looks way better than the one I started with. I would build the white one myself it looks real good. If it was me I would detail it up and drive it the way it is for a while and have some fun with it.

1972 Cheyenne Short Bed

1958 Apache short fleet

1980 Chevy short bed
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761005

1959 "Henry"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=670461

1966 Biscayne
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444419

1972 Suburban
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478828
CMACDONALD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Flint70step

Very nice score!That is a very nice looking Burb with a lot of options.Don't get rid of the Orange/white burb,if you did I'de give my left anything for it

72 Custom Deluxe Burb(Arizona truck)Nice interior
Great patina

Project Patina Azul http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=467668
Flint70step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
vectorit
What?

That burb looks like it was loved it's entire life!
The interior, seats, and headliner are very nice.

I'd say you got a smokin deal on that baby!
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
dougo

wow, clean looking burb, with options, for a steal!

Nice & Congrats!
Old 09-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
Sweet 72

Thanks for the comments... I'm a little embarrassed to actually say what I got it for....
$850

The guy that sold it to me was the son of the actual owner. The dad had put the burban, and lots of other collectable type things in storage, and got behind on his payments. He left it all to his son if he would bail the stuff out. He also had a whole folder full of receipts and invoices.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #9
Sweet 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint70step View Post
Very nice score!That is a very nice looking Burb with a lot of options.Don't get rid of the Orange/white burb,if you did I'de give my left anything for it
I would love to keep both, but I need to keep piece in the home
My wife said specifically only one suburban. If I do sell it I hope it has to leave town because I wouldn't be able to see it running around town knowing that it was mine at one time. Kind of like seeing an ex with another guy
Old 09-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
VA72C10
VA72C10

Yep...you stole it As far as the dilemma...looks like the concensus is to sell the other one...

To me...depends on how rusty this one is....on the surface it looks really nice..
Old 09-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Street Smart

Wow, we all wish we had that problem. My bottom line is rust, look both over and keep the more solid one. Anything else is changeable/repairable.
Either way good luck with`em

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
budnikguy

Dang...I am looking for a '72 1/2 ton burb......
budnikguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #13
Sweet 72

I originally bought the orange one after we sold our newer tahoe to turn it into a practical family vehicle. I've since found this one with more factory options and thats the reason I'm going to attempt to sell the the orange one.
This one has a bunch of rust in it and the thoughts came to swap the factory options over to the orange one, but I don't have the time to do that. I rather keep both of them as original numbers matching vehicles without swapping parts.

I just listed the orange/white one on Ebay to see if theres any interest. I may end up trying to sell it on here to save on the fees that Ebay charges.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #14
budnikguy

ebay link??
budnikguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
Sweet 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by budnikguy View Post
ebay link??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQ...t_25706wt_1167

This sounds really crazy, but I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out what to do. I'm almost thinking about selling them both and using the money for one that has the options plus no rust issues... if there is such a score in this day. I really wish I knew how to repair sheet metal I would try to tackle this on my own. If I was mechanically inclined I would swap out the goodies in the white one to the orange one, but then I struggle with stripping out a nice optioned out burban.

On a side note I was digging around some more in the dash and found the original owners manual with the cruise control warranty stapled inside the front cover. I also found the original warranty info with protecto plate attached to it. And I also found the original dealers new car check off inspection paperwork for when they sell the vehicle to its first original owner. Sold new in February of '72 right there where I picked it up yesterday... Portland Oregon.

Anyone out there with some paint and body experience, or mechanical experience, or even experience in what is going to have more value down the road (a burb with original factory options documented in glove box, or factory options that just got transfered into another burb of the same year)?

Plus anyone out there with the paint and body experience that may want to barter for some 'as new' RRA AR's or a CZUSA Coach SBS?

Thanks for all the input, comments and ideas.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #16
70cst

I will say it like others....the White Burb is a keeper. JMHO

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #17
Sweet 72

I got the orange/white suburban listed last night and also put the asking price in the comment section.

I also really don't want to take a lot of time to get this sold, so please bring any reasonable offer. Or I may start parting it out, and I would prefer someone getting a nice complete/solid original suburban and not having to disassemble that one.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #18
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

why oh why can't I find a steal like that!!!...Nice burb!!!

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #19
Sweet 72

So after a busy weekend of normal routine I actually got to take a closer look at the "pearl in the making".
First thing was charge up a battery, few gallons of fresh fuel, a little in the carb, and a little squirt of wd in the spark plug holes.... Fires right up. Engine sounds and runs smooth. Now I really do need to sell the "barn yard" burban so I can start moving along on this one. The more I look at this white one, the more I'm considering parting out the orange one (this white one could use a lot of the rust free parts the orange one has).
My only real hesitation with parting the orange one is like I posted earlier... its a shame to part a complete, original, practically rust free burban. Plus I have never shipped large items before.
Is it possible that I may be able to get more out of the orange one by parting it out. In this economic time we're currently in extra money is always nice. Any ideas from you all?
Old 09-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #20
Sweet 72

The plates have the original "blue" license plates on it. The son of the owner had said his dad put this suburban in storage seven years ago. After looking at the receipts he kept I found where he had a GM Goodwrench engine installed. Plus he had a GM forged steel crank installed. I'm having some fun looking through the records he has kept.
Anyone now how to de-code a protecto plate?
Old 09-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #21
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Where's the rust you speak of on the white burb?? I don't see any in the pics lol That's a steal for $850. You can sell to me and then it'll be out of your town in no time

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #22
Sweet 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubds10 View Post
Where's the rust you speak of on the white burb?? I don't see any in the pics lol That's a steal for $850. You can sell to me and then it'll be out of your town in no time
Hey with all those rides sold listed in your profile it looks to me your in the market for a nice solid orange/white burban
Old 09-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #23
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet 72 View Post
Hey with all those rides sold listed in your profile it looks to me your in the market for a nice solid orange/white burban

lol That's just what I sold this year. I've been contemplating buying another burb actually if I could find one for the right price and sell it up here since I know a few guys who want one. Either that or get one that I can chop up and make a crew cab out of since my '68 got ruined lol

Old 09-19-2011, 09:41 PM   #24
Sweet 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubds10 View Post
lol That's just what I sold this year. I've been contemplating buying another burb actually if I could find one for the right price and sell it up here since I know a few guys who want one. Either that or get one that I can chop up and make a crew cab out of since my '68 got ruined lol
Do you have the expertise on parting out a vehicle? I'm considering it on the Orange one, but lack the experience on shipping out larger items. Plus is their any money to be made in parting it out or would I be better off selling it whole?
Old 09-20-2011, 03:34 AM   #25
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet 72 View Post
Do you have the expertise on parting out a vehicle? I'm considering it on the Orange one, but lack the experience on shipping out larger items. Plus is their any money to be made in parting it out or would I be better off selling it whole?
I'm always parting out vehicles but I only do local sales. Since I'm up here in BC shipping to the states is out of the question. There's a big enough market here to sell everything locally even if it's less that what I could sell it for down there. Depending on the vehicle, yes you do tend to make more $ when parting out vs selling whole. Unfortunately 'burbs aren't a really big seller and the market it limited but guys looking for parts is the same but you'll get stuck with the big parts most likely. Try selling complete first as yours is worth keeping complete. Most the vehicles I part, aren't worth anything complete.