The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #1
72farmer

Anybody reccomend these door pull straps?

I need a couple of Carmine (maroon) door pull straps.Most places sell paintable ones.Classicparts has them for $18 already Carmine colored.Has anybody used these?
72farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
bennylava

Re: Anybody reccomend these door pull straps?

Be good to have a link. But there is a door strap fix around here somewhere, maybe someone will post it up. Basically it addresses the factory weakness in these straps that makes them finally break and come off like we've all seen. IIRC it clamps down on more surface area of the end of the strap.

Point is, that's what I'd do if I were you. Unless those straps are just made out of some way better stuff than factory, they're probably eventually just going to break too.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #3
tucsonjwt

Not factory correct, but I got some Dorman aftermarket door pull straps which have a sturdy metal core. I bent the ends to roughly match the profile I wanted, then drilled holes to mount to my door panel. I used the plastic Dorman plastic end caps, which lasted about 1 year out here in the HotZona desert. Still, the door pulls themselves have held up for about 12 years. They do have a chrome foil on the center detail which wore off long ago, but the underlying gray plastic looks ok to me.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:26 PM   #4
andyh1956

I have a tip for helping straps last longer, or at least the end caps.
Pop a cap off & turn it over, The end that the strap protrudes from you will notice a small edge turned down that bears upon the strap.
When the strap is pulled, the strap bears upon this edge & works to push the cap away from where it is clipped on.
If you take a file or dremmel & work this edge down smooth the strap won't bear against the cap near as hard & the cap will remain tight longer.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote