The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2022, 09:42 AM   #1
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Dream Car Build - Shelby Cobra Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
I thought you were going to have it ready for Street Machine Nationals this past weekend?
Just kidding! Looks great.
We didn't make to St.Paul this year. First time since 1995. We were more than worried about security outside the venue. Did you have any or hear of any issues?
No issues at all. Same thing with back to the 50s. No worries. There was 1 cobra there Friday. I talked to the owner. He bought it as a finished car for $40k and drove it for a couple years as is until the engine blew. Then he spent another $80k on it. Nuts. He told me he should have just bought a new continuation cobra for what he spent. Nice car though.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:38 PM   #2
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Mounted the pedal box today. I'll have to take it back out for paint. I sat in the car for the first time in years to see how the pedal position was. The gas pedal isn't in yet, it uses the one from the Ford control pack. Regardless, my right shoe doesn't fit between the brake and right side plate so I'll have to bend it over to the left a bit. And get smaller feet.

My wife ordered the master cylinder for my birthday. It was the right part number, correct number on the box, but wrong part in the manufacturers box. No idea how that happened but not the first time I've had parts problems the past few months. Time to order another one.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2022, 09:50 PM   #3
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Used the torch and heated up the pedal arms for adjustment. Should have decent room now.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2022, 12:58 AM   #4
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Today's progress, painted and installed the firewall and the front panel of the pedal box. The pedals are installed. Started setting up the steering. Had to order an adapter coupling for the steering shaft to the rack. I should have all the parts needed to complete the steering by next weekend.

I'll probably just be working on sheet metal installation until the parts get here. And I need to see if the push rod from the mustang will work with the master cylinder without the hydroboost on it. May need some modification.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2022, 01:51 AM   #5
Nut Case

Thumbs up Re: HG's Dream Car Build - Shelby Cobra Kit

hg

I just finished reading your thread Holly Cow..... You're on fire like a shooting star. No grass growing under your feet, and that's fer sure and fer certain.

A cobra has always been one car that I have wanted. My son bought a Kirkham stainless steel bodied cobra, it was scary fast hard to control. His wife made him sell it within the month that he got it.

keep on keepin on

nutz

Old 08-30-2022, 10:14 PM   #6
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut Case View Post
hg

I just finished reading your thread Holly Cow..... You're on fire like a shooting star. No grass growing under your feet, and that's fer sure and fer certain.

A cobra has always been one car that I have wanted. My son bought a Kirkham stainless steel bodied cobra, it was scary fast hard to control. His wife made him sell it within the month that he got it.

keep on keepin on

nutz

There's always some of these for sale. I think some people get their dream car and then find out it's actually a street legal race car and it's not what they expected. I know this will be a monster compared to my 17 Camaro but I'm perfectly fine with it being totally unrefined. Most of my vehicles are pre-80s. The Kirkham cars are nice. Wish I had that budget.

Today I put most of the cockpit sheet metal in. I stopped at the rear wall because I want to modify it for a cubby hole. There's a kit to do it but it's basically a piece of metal to separate the cubby from the rest of the trunk. I can make my own. And the kit doesn't have a door. I'm going to make a couple sliders and possibly make it lockable.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2022, 11:48 PM   #7
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Finally got the steering together. Not quite how I planned it but that's okay. The threaded bushing my son made worked great but I had to remove it from the rack extensions. Not the easiest task when I used thread locker in it. I tried doing it like the instruction manual said but it wasn't really possible or safe to go that way. So I removed the extensions, put the threaded bushings in the inner tie rods, shortened the inner tie rods about an inch and also shortened the outer tie rods about 3/4". They may need to get a little more trimmed but I won't know until the alignment is done.

I wasn't able to steer it lock to lock because it binds up with the lower control arms because the suspension is hanging. I didn't want to put it on the ground just to do that. I need to lube it and put the boots back in place.

Next week I have to replace the roof on my barn. It's not really a barn, just looks like one. It's the last building I have to do.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2022, 05:55 PM   #8
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Barn roof is going well. Worked on it for 2 days and almost half way done. Then my body said, nope big fella, time to rest. I might not finish it this weekend but it'll be done before winter hits.

Today I made the hole for the cubby behind the seats and made the sliding doors. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I need a latch for it, preferably lockable.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2022, 10:03 PM   #9
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Painted the doors and installed the rear wall. 77 rivets holding that panel.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2022, 03:37 PM   #10
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

You are a braver man than I am to take on that roof. I'm getting dizzy just looking at it.
The Cobra is coming along nicely.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 11:53 PM   #11
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
You are a braver man than I am to take on that roof. I'm getting dizzy just looking at it.
The Cobra is coming along nicely.
The sides of the roof were done using ladders or scaffolding. The pitch of the top section isn't very steep. I'm putting the steel over the shingles so I have traction. The last pieces on top are the hazardous ones because I have to be on the steel while screwing it down. I did a little walking on it just to see and it was alright but while putting the screws in I'll probably be kneeling. The last time I did it I had knee pads and used the screw heads to keep from sliding. The more I'm up there the easier it gets. I've got a day or two of work left to finish it.

The only thing done on the cobra was cleaning the gas tank and painting it. Looks like new! And I pulled out the parts they provided for the coyote install. Looks like they gave me what I need for the fuel system except the pump and regulator. After I bought my kit they changed that option and give you those also. $600 for that kit option now which is very high for what you get. I think I have a good pump here and the Corvette regulator filter is not very expensive. I'll be re-reading the manual on the fuel section and hopefully get that wrapped up next.

I have the optional Ron Francis wire harness (rather than using the mustang harnesses, yuck) but no instructions for that in the manual. Maybe it's in the harness package.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2022, 09:28 PM   #12
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

After getting side tracked by other projects I was able to get something done on the cobra. The new fuel pump/sending unit thingy was delivered today so I installed the new higher flow pump on it (anyone need a brand new stock fuel pump for a 98 mustang?). Wasn't as easy as you would think. The stock pump is connected to the hard lines on the lid with flexible tubing. I first tried using regular fuel hose but it was pinching too much as I squeezed the lid down. Just not much room between the top of the pump and the lid. So I figured out a way to reuse the flexible hose, modified the bottom of the plastic housing so the pump would sit a bit lower.

The pump itself is pretty much the exact same size as the stocker but the pickup on the bottom is a little taller and not interchangeable. Nothing a Dremel tool can't fix.

I'm still waiting for delivery of the Corvette filter/regulator. Once I get that I just need to route the hoses and the fuel system is about done. I'll probably have to buy some hose rated for fuel injection though. Most of what FFR supplied was just low pressure hose, and brake lines to use as fuel line.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2022, 07:18 PM   #13
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Got a start on the wiring, routed the main harnesses.

Then I tried out the canned truck bed liner on one of the trunk outer panels. I like that a lot more than the undercoating stuff. Seems to dry faster and is actually black. About the same price too
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2022, 12:40 AM   #14
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Been gone a lot lately for work and had problems with my crewcab not running good so not much progress on this. I expect to get the fuel line and fittings soon but until then there's sheet metal. I got the left side of the trunk on today and started the trunk floor and. Sort of. Supposed to put the whole rear lower section in as one piece. But I'm going to try to modify a large section of it.

I started by cutting off the rear vertical piece and got that installed. Next I'm going to modify the very front section right behind the seats. Then I'll have to start forming the middle and rear lower to fit my plan.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2022, 06:44 PM   #15
62c30

On the t5 and tremec transmissions I've put in mustangs I always fill afterwards by pulling the shifter. Makes it easy
62c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:46 PM   #16
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62c30 View Post
On the t5 and tremec transmissions I've put in mustangs I always fill afterwards by pulling the shifter. Makes it easy
I think I can reach the fill plug from the top because there's no cover on the transmission tunnel but if that doesn't work I might try your way. Although that might not work either since there's a tube going across right by the shifter.

Last weekend I finished getting the engine and transmission bolted down. I had to make a plate to offset the transmission mount so it would bolt to the crossmember. I have no idea why they didn't make the crossmember so it worked with this combo since it's one of the most common set ups.

Started my new job Monday so it's been nothing but onboarding and training all week. I got time this morning to bring the driveshaft and new yoke to the driveline shop. Should have a driveshaft next week.

Pulled the shifter out of the kit box and it's not the right style. This is for like a T-5 where the shifter is set back and the handle leans fwd. I might be able to redrill this and shorten it. The knob is a cheap plastic thing that I won't use. Also next on the list is getting the gas pedal in. It takes some modification to fit.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2022, 12:29 AM   #17
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Got the driveshaft, $465 total for a 10" long shaft. Yikes

I installed it today then tried getting the exhaust started. That didn't go well at all. I think I have the wrong headers. The ones that I got with the kit bolt to the engine alright but the J pipe that goes between the headers and side pipes hit the frame rail.

I couldn't put in the driver side at all. I'll have to remove the alternator and maybe even lift the engine. So back to the manuals to see if I did something wrong, no good came from that. So I check the forums for similar builds and it looks like I should have a completely different style of headers. Should be a long tube style that goes all the way to the side pipes. I emailed factory five to try and get this resolved.

I'll work on other things like the gas pedal, clutch cable, wiring, etc. Although I haven't had as much free time lately. Started my new job a couple weeks ago. The new territory is at least a few weeks behind and it's going to be a challenge to get it caught up.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2023, 12:28 AM   #18
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

That new job thing has really killed my motivation lol.

That's only partially true. It has been busy but I really just have a hard time being productive during the short winter days. And I also bought another distraction, a can am commander SxS. It was a fairly Base model one that I did a couple small repairs to and now upgrading. Installed a new bumper and flip windshield, bought a used cab enclosure off ebay and started installing that. Really a fun machine.

Still waiting on Factory Five for exhaust resolution. They said I have the wrong J pipes and are supposed to be sending me the correct ones.

Happy new year!
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2023, 07:10 PM   #19
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Removed the alternator, got the driver side header on. Just a few bolts holding it now but it's in there. Went back through the manuals for reference of where I am and I need to dig through the parts and see if I have the correct sensors on the engine. I can't remember how the engine harness is routed, so I need to find some pics from before I tore it down. I'm also going to take the injectors in for cleaning before I install them. I've had problems in the past with them sticking after sitting too long before trying to start the engine. They look cruddy so get them cleaned up. There really is a lot of wiring on a coyote swap.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2023, 09:09 PM   #20
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Made a little coupling from some roll bar tubing to finish the radiator hoses. The overflow tank didn't show up yet but I could at least start adding water/antifreeze. A gallon of each in it now but I'm going to pick up a flush kit to use the tee fitting with cap in the heater bypass hose. It's the highest point of the system, so I can finish adding coolant, possibly draw a vacuum to get air out.

Last night I went through the coyote install instructions regarding the harness. It talks about adding some wire in the O2 sensor feed to get length needed, but then just states to route the harness to reach the sensors. I started removing the wrap and got a little more room just with that, then started laying out the harness to see what needed to go where and think I have it sorted out enough. Most of the engine stuff is plugged in. I need to fab a mount for the ECU, then start tying the engine harness into the chassis/dash harness.

Not far from trying to start her up.
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2023, 10:01 PM   #21
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Well the overflow tank was delivered. It's too big. Might be able to use it if I move the air filter but I'll probably just try a different one. Not critical for the build.

Today I got the ecu and coyote fuse box mounted. I built a bracket for the ecu from some scrap. Turned out good. The O2 sensors are connected and the harness is retaped up. Time to make those wiring connections to the car.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2023, 02:04 PM   #22
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Well the overflow tank was delivered. It's too big. Might be able to use it if I move the air filter but I'll probably just try a different one. Not critical for the build.

Today I got the ecu and coyote fuse box mounted. I built a bracket for the ecu from some scrap. Turned out good. The O2 sensors are connected and the harness is retaped up. Time to make those wiring connections to the car.
Nice bracket!

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 11:27 AM   #23
Rickysnickers

That DEI heat shield woks really well!! I put some on the plastic underbelly on my motorcycle. I had to buy a new one as the old one had been melted by the aftermarket exhaust system. The pan is maybe a 1/4" from the exhaust tube and there has been NO signs of warpage or heat related damage.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:41 PM   #24
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
That DEI heat shield woks really well!! I put some on the plastic underbelly on my motorcycle. I had to buy a new one as the old one had been melted by the aftermarket exhaust system. The pan is maybe a 1/4" from the exhaust tube and there has been NO signs of warpage or heat related damage.
Excellent!

Stopped by Dakota digital today, they are based in Sioux Falls, to get some tech support. The Ford control pack for the 1st generation coyote engine is supposed to tie in with a thing called a speed dial, which is basically a gadget that transforms the VSS signal from the transmission into a signal that works with the engine ecu. Without it the engine might stall under certain conditions. It just tells the engine the car is in motion. The problem is that the speed dial is not available anymore. The factory five forum had a thread where the guy got something from modern drive line, so I contacted them and got a part number. Great! But while driving I wondered if the Dakota digital system might have a suitable output. Well not exactly from what I bought but they do have an add on that should work and it's cheaper than the MDL part or the speed dial, so I bought that.

They also have cruise control systems that I can use on my LS swapped 79 crewcab, so I'm glad I stopped by.

I think I have everything to finish the air intake and cooling systems. And the electrical stuff should be all on hand, except i need to decide on battery mounting and get some ground cables. I'm going to drop off the injectors tomorrow for cleaning. Then I just need the J pipes from factory five. No word from them yet on if they have the correct ones or shipping if they do.

Pic for attention, as they say on the bookface.
Attached Images

Last edited by hgs_notes; 01-19-2023 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:40 PM   #25
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Injectors are cleaned and tested.

Got the fan and shroud mounted. Had a little problem with the bottom of the shroud. The flange didn't really overlap the bottom of the radiator enough to put the bolts through. So I improvised. Used a hole saw to cut into the tapered section then just flattened the middle down so it acted like a washer to clamp on.

I ordered an overflow tank. Should be able to finish the cooling system soon. Fuel system tomorrow. Maybe exhaust too. Thought I had a clutch cable with the kit but it was a throttle cable. Then lots of wiring.
Attached Images