The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
AusTx68

Anyone Have LED Parking & LED Tail Lights??

If so, how do you get them to flash!?

I've been running the LED tail lights for the past year. They required a different flasher and work fine. This week I picked up a set of LED parking lights from Brothers. When I added them they don't flash. They come on but don't flash. I swapped to a no-load flasher but that didn't help. If I reinstall the parking lamp bulb they flash. The new no-load flasher is fully electronic. Do I need to add a relay or something else to cause a load??
Old 10-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Re: Anyone Have LED Parking & LED Tail Lights??

Ask the guys at Brothers, if they sold em, they should know how to get them to work

I've got universal oval led taillights on my dually..... plugged them in and they worked fine, didn't change anything with oem type flashers
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

LED's must have proper ground, make sure the socket is grounded properly. if that isnt working, call the reseller ( Brothers)

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
1972RedNeck

If they are just constantly lit, an electronic flasher should do it.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I have LED's on the rear of my 40 ford. I couldn't get them to flash with out a new flasher for LED's. This new flasher required it's own gound. I installed it and bam they worked. For a while. Now I think I have a ground issue at my sockets. So I need to clean and check them to see why I have no flashers now.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.

Last edited by Dieselwrencher; 10-25-2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Can't type lol
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
AusTx68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
If they are just constantly lit, an electronic flasher should do it.
Yea, that's what I have now but it just stays lit. I'm thinking I could install an inline resistor equal to the buld resistance to create a load. Eh, I'll call Brothers and see what they say.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
jaros44sr

I went with a HD flasher unit, the electronic one didnt work for me, possibly because of the ground mentioned above

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
dznucks

You have to get a special flasher just for LED's. I think its called a no-load flasher.

The flasher works by tripping (turning off) when too much load passes through it. Think of it like a breaker that automatically resets itself, repeatedly. The LEDs do not pull as much load as regular bulbs. If you replace the parking lights with the regular bulbs, the taillights would flash. or vice versa, replace the taillights and everything would flash.

When you are looking at the spec's on a flasher, find one that has the lowest load rating or no-load. I had to go through several electronic flashers before i figure out the no-load thing. I had to order mine on line.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

This can't be true in every case, because I have a heavy duty flasher and have zero problems with the turn signals flashing. Could be that some LED's may have the necessary resistance built in just for retrofitting.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Anyone Have LED Parking & LED Tail Lights??

I have a stock flasher in my 71 with LD tail and brake lights with no problems!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
dznucks

If you have all LED's...parking lights, turn signals, brake lights, etc....there is not enough load to trip a regular flasher.

If you only put LED tail lights in, you will not have an issue because you still have an stock bulb in the parking light or front turn signal that pulls enough load.

I have all LED's, and all side markers flash with the front parking and rear tail lights. I had to find a no-load flasher to run all LED's. Four LED's (front parking, front side, rear side, and rear tail light) pull less load than a single incandescent bulb.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #12
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznucks View Post
If you have all LED's...parking lights, turn signals, brake lights, etc....there is not enough load to trip a regular flasher.
That sounds correct now ........I do have incandescent on the front and LED "only" on the rear
Old 10-27-2011, 06:50 AM   #13
dznucks

Quote:
That sounds correct now ........I do have incandescent on the front and LED "only" on the rear
The OP's problems began when he added LED parking lights, along with his LED taillights.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
jaros44sr

Quote:
You have to get a special flasher just for LED's. I think its called a no-load flasher.

When you are looking at the spec's on a flasher, find one that has the lowest load rating or no-load. I had to go through several electronic flashers before i figure out the no-load thing. I had to order mine on line.
Can you post up a part number, already bought one electronic flasher that doesnt work. The one I bought doesnt have a ground lead

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
kikkegek

how do you guys solve the combination of:
- indicators
- brake
- normal night light?

with LEDs in the rear light? LEDs are not dimmable without PWM control...

I have not been able to find a satifying solution yet...please advise
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #16
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

I had LEDs all the way around on my 72 Blazer with correct flashers. But, I could not get the front blinkers to flash very well - bumper and side markers. Finally chased the problem down. The ground for that circuit is through the filment on a 1157 or 9 (?) standard bulb. So, I removed the LED Bulbs in the Front bumper and reinstalled the original bulbs and they all flash - perfect. So, on the front bumper lights I run a regular bulb to get the ground for the circuit. Thats my story...

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #17
AusTx68

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkegek View Post
how do you guys solve the combination of:
- indicators
- brake
- normal night light?

with LEDs in the rear light? LEDs are not dimmable without PWM control...

I have not been able to find a satifying solution yet...please advise
Prior to me adding the LED parking lights, my LED tail lights performed all the normal functions you described above without any special modifications. There wasn't anything to solve.

My no-flash problem started when I added the LED Parking lights. I installed a NO-LOAD flasher and still no flash. The flasher has two prongs like the stock flasher. If the problem is caused by lack of a ground, I have no idea where the ground should go.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #18
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

"The flasher has two prongs like the stock flasher. If the problem is caused by lack of a ground, I have no idea where the ground should go."

The ground (neg-)for the front flasher circuit is in the filment (wire inside the bulb-glows) on a original 1157 bulb - (two filments - park and brake/blinker). One of the filments go to ground (neg-) to the socket housing-which is grounded to body. All LED bulbs that I've seen does not provide that ground. So, no flash. Either you will need to find a LED bulb that has the internal ground or use the original type 1157 bulb - which has it...

BTW-I do use no-load flashers too.

When you finally get it right, its worth it. They light up much brighter and last alot longer than standard bulbs. I also use Hella H4 driving lights instead of the Halogens. Nice glow at night...

Last edited by D.PASSMORE; 10-28-2011 at 01:41 PM.
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #19
bowtie72

I have LED lights all the way around on my truck. I had to try a few "No-Load" flashers to find one that would work. I ended up using the one that Summit sells for led's. I didn't investigate why the others wouldn't work. You can look at the ones Speedwaymotors.com sells too. They come with a ground built into the flasher. I didn't have to use this type (with the ground).But they work off a timer instead of a load to make them flash. Good Luck
Old 10-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #20
kikkegek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTx68 View Post
Prior to me adding the LED parking lights, my LED tail lights performed all the normal functions you described above without any special modifications. There wasn't anything to solve.

My no-flash problem started when I added the LED Parking lights. I installed a NO-LOAD flasher and still no flash. The flasher has two prongs like the stock flasher. If the problem is caused by lack of a ground, I have no idea where the ground should go.
yeah that is what I thought. The problem is the superbright and less bright mode is no problem with a regular bulb...but nearly impossible with a LED.

These standaard 2 pron bulbs have a small resistor on one connection to dim the LED just a little. for my front flashers that is just fine, but for difference between normal night lights and brakes, it is a problem. That is why I run regular bulbs in the back...untill I find a better solution
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #21
big mike71

Quote:

If you only put LED tail lights in, you will not have an issue because you still have an stock bulb in the parking light or front turn signal that pulls enough load.

I have all LED's, and all side markers flash with the front parking and rear tail lights. I had to find a no-load flasher to run all LED's. Four LED's (front parking, front side, rear side, and rear tail light) pull less load than a single incandescent bulb.
How did you make your sidemarkers flash with your blinker.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #22
bowtie72

My rear lights are LED. They have 50 lights per side. 25 on with tail lights when you apply the brake or turn the other 25 come on. They work real well. You would have to put some kind of diode in one side to make one brighter and one not so bright. As far as making your makers turn signals. Some trucks didn't come that way. Depending on your truck yours might not be that way. If your truck is one that isn't all you have to do is buy the pig tail harness and wire them into your front and rear turn signals. Pretty easy of a job.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:57 AM   #23
Battle187

I have a 1968 C10 and was running LED tail light with stock flasher with no problem. When I put LED park lights also, blinker stopped working. I bought a flasher for LEDs Part# EF32RL off eBay for around $14 and it worked on the hazard side but not on the signal light side. I then rigged up two wires to extend prongs and reverse connected them to fuse block and it worked. Not pretty but didn't have to buy another flasher. I was also thinking of buying a motorcycle flasher which is cheaper around 5 bucks and seeing if it works and putting the one I already have on the hazard side. Hope this helps.
Battle187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:04 AM   #24
JointTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle187 View Post
I have a 1968 C10 and was running LED tail light with stock flasher with no problem. When I put LED park lights also, blinker stopped working. I bought a flasher for LEDs Part# EF32RL off eBay for around $14 and it worked on the hazard side but not on the signal light side. I then rigged up two wires to extend prongs and reverse connected them to fuse block and it worked. Not pretty but didn't have to buy another flasher. I was also thinking of buying a motorcycle flasher which is cheaper around 5 bucks and seeing if it works and putting the one I already have on the hazard side. Hope this helps.
I had to do the same thing. But my flasher came with the leads and a peice of double sided tape so I guess we werent the first that required a backwards connection.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:06 AM   #25
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Anyone Have LED Parking & LED Tail Lights??

I have LED's in everything but Head and Fog lights. They work great and are very bright. I have the electronic flasher in the socket in the truck fuse panel with it grounded good.
LED's from what I can figure have to have a better ground than a normal bulb and they also want work if any of the wiring isn't correctly done. The parking housing and brake housings need good metal to metal for them to ground properly. The LED bulbs that you buy are junk in my opinion also. If your trying to use them forget it. They look like 1157 bulbs with all the LED's in it. Trash them.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote